PDA

View Full Version : Requery or Move On?

Hathor
06-29-2010, 11:08 PM
I've queried a lot of agents. Some gave me their standard reject, some haven't responded at all (yet), some nibbled but didn't bite. (One nibbled, got a partial, and hasn't responded for three months despite status update requests that her website said could be sent.) Several have taken the time to suggest cutting the length and modifying the tone.

I took a stab at it, and I think my shorter, revised work (which has a new name to boot) is better than the original. I've also improved my book proposal (this is nonfiction) and have a new query letter.

Naturally, I have followed up with those who made the helpful suggestions. My question is whether it would be worthwhile (or annoying) to requery those who have rejected with form letters or not responded at all. I kept good records so this shouldn't be difficult.

I still can find some possible agents who I haven't queried at all, so I will be approaching them as well.

I stress that no one has said that they will represent me if I make certain changes or asking for an exclusive look. I suppose I can wait a short while and see if any of those I've followed up with express a further interest, but I don't want to wait too long.

What do you all think? There are some agents in my original list that didn't nibble and that I thought could well be interested. However, the length of my book (or the way I described it in the query letter) might have turned them off ...

cate townsend
06-29-2010, 11:21 PM
I think you're right to re-query the agents who offered suggestions, but I'd hold off on re-querying the others. Since they didn't offer you an explanation why they passed, you have no idea whether it was due to the specifics of your project, and if it wasn't (if it wasn't right for their list, etc.), resending a query is a waste of your time. Concentrate on a new list of agents to query, and cross your fingers you'll hear from the ones who made suggestions. Good luck!

Lucy
06-29-2010, 11:33 PM
I agree with Cate Townsend. There are a lot of agents out there. Send it to the ones who have made suggestions or ones you haven't queried yet.

Hathor
06-30-2010, 12:51 AM
OK, thanks! I realized that the possibility that any of the earlier-queried folks would suddenly fall in love with my book's concept was slight; I just didn't want to leave any stone unturned.

It is hard. One agent who said to make two specific changes and she would be happy to look at my revised proposal, now after I made those changes, says she isn't taking new clients at this point. Sigh. At least she referred me to two other agents ... I can only keep plugging away at it. I guess it would be harder to just give up, though.