• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

How does beta work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliseLovette

Registered
Reaction score
I am sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I tried doing a search on this but no luck.

My question is how exactly does being a beta work? So say I find someone on this site I will like to be a beta with, do we email each other our stuff? Or do we have to use this website's email system? Is there a specific forum for just betas?

I guess the big idea here might be the trust issue right?
Please any answers will be helpful.
Thank you.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's up to you. With most betas I've exchanged direct emails via private message (PM) with no problem. You cannot attach docs to a PM here, anyway. I have another who wasn't comfortable giving out her direct email, so I uploaded the document to Google docs and set the access levels to allow anyone with the direct link (which I PMed to her through here) to view and edit. She then inserted her comments in a different font color.

The only "trust issue" I've encountered is getting them to stay with it. I've had little problem with short stories, but for the novel they've just not followed through. Maybe the novel sucks that bad, or we're just all busier than we think when we take something like this on. I wish people wouldn't agree to beta if they don't have the time.

Last edited:

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a whole subforum about beta-ing here on AW...finding someone, etc...http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

But no, you certainly don't have to limit yourself to AW's contact system. Usually people exchange whatever email addresses they're comfortable with when swapping work with someone they feel they will work well with, and go forward from there.

:) Good luck!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Elise, what I like to do is identify people who are well-read in the genre in which I write, and people who I feel give good feedback when they critique, especially about 'big picture' issues rather than my stupid typos.

I've asked them privately, saying I understand if they do not have time or inclination. Some said yes. I've also posted a chapter at the appropriate Share Your Work board with the notation that while feedback on that chapter is welcome, what I'm really seeking is people who find it interesting enough to beta read. Both these methods have worked for me.

It helps if you are a familiar face at your genre's board; people are more inclined to beta read for someone they know a little.

It's easy enough to establish a free email account if you worry about compromising your regular one by giving it out to beta readers when you send your manuscript. Just remember to check it fairly often.

Worth noting: You may need to do a little ironing out of compatible formats between your computer and that of the reader, especially if you're using one that's fairly new.

Maryn, glad to meet you

Status
Not open for further replies.