Your Favorite Zombie Flick?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love zombie movies. I don't know why, honestly. But, there it is. There are so many good ones.

-though I love Shaun of the Dead, for funny zombies I'm gonna go with the American Zombieland.

-for serious zombies, I gotta go with Danny Boyle's classic 28 Days Later with the dreamy Cillian Murphy(not exactly zombies but close enough).

Sometimes, I just sit back and wish for the Zombie Apocalyse....

Your faves?

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Dawn of the Dead (Remake)
Zombieland
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later

I guess I can toss the Resident Evil movies on there, even if they're an atrocity compared to the games.

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
I Am Legend (does that qualify as a zombie movie?)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think i've only seen Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland. I enjoyed them all.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Night of the Living Dead.

End of.

Yeah, that one still holds up after all these years. And it's featured in every low budget horror movie because it's public domain!

Some unconventional zombie movies I like are STACY, the Japanese movie, and SUGAR HILL, which is a blaxploitation zombie movie.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd have to go with the original Night of the Living Dead as absolute favoritest zombie movie. It's just damned good movie-making: a reasonably intelligent script, believeable and sympathetic characters, and a soul-crushing ending that was pretty much unheard of in horror at the time.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also enjoyed Diary of the Dead, one of Romero's more recent endeavors.

How was Dead Snow? Anyone see that? Looks creepy. Should I rent it or whatever?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Yeah, I'd have to go with the original Night of the Living Dead as absolute favoritest zombie movie. It's just damned good movie-making: a reasonably intelligent script, believeable and sympathetic characters, and a soul-crushing ending that was pretty much unheard of in horror at the time.

Yeah. I saw it when it came out. I was 11. Snuck into the theater where a friend's brother was an usher. Terrified me. Had to walk home in the dark and my imagination just made things worse. Zombies were hiding behind every bush, every tree. I wasn't able to watch another zombie movie until just a few years ago. I own the original, but I've only been able to watch it once since, and that with the lights on during the day. It still dredges up all sorts of childhood fears.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let me go against popular opinion and say Reanimator. I remember watching it in my living room in high school during a slumber party. Some adult had inappropriately recommended it to us, possibly my history teacher. At the scene with the head, and the absolutely unforgettable line "I think I've always loved you", we all screamed. My parents came sprinting out of the bedroom thinking disaster had befallen us. Then we all screamed NO DON'T COME IN! so they wouldn't see what was on the tv screen :D

Dead Alive (aka Braindead) is a very close second. Rarely have zombies been so much fun and so darn bloody.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score

I saw it. I thought it was pretty good, but it didn't absolutely knock my socks off. Definitely worth a rental though.

My faves:

The Dawn of the Dead remake. Sarah Polley FTW! Actually this is probably my favorite movie of the decade. I'm a sucker for nihilism.
Dawn of the Dead original.
Return of the Living Dead. Send more cops.
As a kid I was really fond of one called Dead and Buried. I haven't seen it in ages & I couldn't tell you how well it holds up.
Dittoing Re-Animator.
Rec and Rec2 are probably in there somewhere as well.

Have you guys heard about the upcoming TV series The Walking Dead? Frank Darabont (The Mist, Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile) is writing & directing. Should be out this fall. I've seen some stills and it looks frigging fantastic.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How did I forget Rec?

And, there's a Rec2? Hold the phone. I am so on that shit. Thanks for the head's up (and the nod for Dead Snow).

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Shakycam. (Pardon me while I puke.) I. Hate. Shakycam.

I would've liked [REC] more if I wasn't constantly looking away to give my gills a chance to fade from green to normal.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com

It was disappointing. Not funny in an Evil Dead 2 and 3 way, and not at all frightening. Maybe worth a watch on a Friday night if there's nothing else on but that's about it.