PDA

View Full Version : NATIVE AMERICAN TIME KEEPING

citymouse
06-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Can anyone tell me how pre-Colombian North American native tribes counted days? As I understand it moons were months (28 day cycles). Correct? If so what were days called? I'm specifically interested in plains Indians.
I know this sounds like a dumb question but I never had to define it before and the Google doesn't like the way I ask the question.
Thanks!
C

pilot27407
06-29-2010, 07:09 PM
This Day in North American Indian History From the book cover: "For every calendar day, an in-depth look at the important events in the history of North ...
www.americanindian.net/moons.html

citymouse
06-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Thaks Pilot. I need to know how they counted days. For example, if a man expected to be away from his family for a week, how would he say that?
Would he use the term fourteen sun sets or sun rises?
C

Stanmiller
06-29-2010, 09:13 PM
C,

There were many different languages in play, and a large number of timekeeping schemas. The simplest was as you describe, from new moon to new moon (or full moon to full moon) as the base unit, adjusted for seasons according to the locale. Then days were counted, usually as suns, such as seven suns past new moon, or seven suns from now.

Some town-building groups (such as the Mississipians that built Cahokia Mound) had calendrical schemes for scheduling festivals and such. But the nomadic tribes pretty much stuck to moon cycles augmented with animal migrations, plus day counts.

Suggest applying google-fu to the tribe of your choice for more detail.

--Stan

citymouse
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks Stan. Using suns works very well. It's a small detail that plays largely later in the story. Suns it is!
C

CheekyWench
06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm asking a family friend who is Eastern Band Cherokee via email what she thinks... I'll let you know what she says :)

citymouse
06-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks CW. The more I know the better my story will be. If there is a different usage than suns I can use it so I won't sound monotonous.
C

I'm asking a family friend who is Eastern Band Cherokee via email what she thinks... I'll let you know what she says :)

CheekyWench
06-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks CW. The more I know the better my story will be. If there is a different usage than suns I can use it so I won't sound monotonous.
C

No problem!

Don Allen
06-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Remember, some tribes used to put women in trees during their menstrual cycle's,,,I'm not sure it was a great way to "Save the Date" but it seems some what relevant.

citymouse
06-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Oh My! I think I'll ship that tidbit. :)
C

CheekyWench
07-06-2010, 05:12 AM
I heard back from my (2nd mother ;) ) friend in Cherokee... She said they would go by 7 moons.

Tsu Dho Nimh
07-06-2010, 05:20 AM
"Native American" is an umbrella term for dozens of tribes with non-uniform practices.

Like everything else "native American" time keeping varied by tribe ... some tribes tracked solstices and/or equinoxes, some didn't, some started months at full moon, some at new moon, etc. So before you can get a good answer, you have to declare which tribe you are discussing.

citymouse
07-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Thanks everyone. I've made my changes.
C

citymouse
07-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Thanks CW, This answers my question in that it gives me a phrase anyone can relate to. :)
C

I heard back from my (2nd mother ;) ) friend in Cherokee... She said they would go by 7 moons.