When Does the Next Write Idol Competition Begin?

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance, but the various posts I've seen around here seem to allude to the fact that the 2005 Competition is finished.

My question then is, when does the 2006 Competition start? Similarly, where can I find information on submission policies, deadlines, rules, etc?

Thank you much,

Your Humbly Aloof Fedorable One

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Warning: unconstructive comment ahead

I wanna be the Unknown Comic (come back Jaye P Morgan, all is forgiven)!

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
astonwest said:
I'd suggest judges who don't actually have a membership here (or come here for any reason)...but that's just me.
I thought you knew, there was a thread about it (unless it's been removed) but it was also on E-TV.

Anyways, there was an expose and all the judges were on the take. I mean - cmon, they're all mods now? Coincidence? Ha!

And I only got an honorable mention????? That was the clincher for me. After that I knew there were unseen forces at play.

It's pretty obvious now when you look back on it.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
brokenfingers said:
And I only got an honorable mention????? That was the clincher for me. After that I knew there were unseen forces at play.
Yeah, those unseen forces get to be a real pain when they start messing with the quality of your work, huh?

And besides, I gave you every opportunity to cough up the dough but a deadline is a deadline. My hands were tied, man.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
three seven said:
Yeah, those unseen forces get to be a real pain when they start messing with the quality of your work, huh?

And besides, I gave you every opportunity to cough up the dough but a deadline is a deadline. My hands were tied, man.
Yes, true, true. I'm but a poor man with many bad habits to support.

I vote the next set of judges be blind monks. Now that's objective!!

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
three seven said:
Is that an objective view?

Objectionable, perhaps...though my first stab was "first person view"...
;)

I vote the next set of judges be blind monks. Now that's objective!!

Nothing will filter quality writing better than text-reading software...although I'm not sure if the monks would have computers...

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
All kidding aside, I certainly hope that there will be another AW Idol contest.

I think it was a great idea and a great event for a few reasons:

It was a great exercise in what makes good writing. I think it stimulated a lot of thought and discussion on what makes good writing and caused those who were around to reflect upon that as pertains to their own writing.

I think it motivated a lot of people to actually write something and submit it.

It bought in a wave of many new members. I think it lured a lot of people out of lurkdom and into the fray of everyday participation in the forum - always a good thing. In the end we wound up with a group of maybe 100- 150 hardcore daily members. Who knows? Maybe we'll add another 100 - 150 daily participators. New blood is always good.

I feel it was a bonding experience for all those who participated - finalists, judges and voters. It may be just a cyclical thing but it seemed the board was more vibrant while it was going on.

Sitting around at home writing everyday can become kind of a rut and it gave a lot of people something to look forward to.

It was fun. I, for one, never really cared about the prizes - it was all about just doing it and being a part of it. I thought that was cool as hell - just participating and being a part of the process every week.

Yes, there may have been some stress and aggravation for some (Jenna, the judges, the poor vote-counter, etc.) but I think the benefits or positive aspects far exceeded the negative.

I realize there may be other factors involved (especially for the big J who seems to always be pretty busy) but I'm sure if it came to a pinch, she could hand over the basic day-to-day operation of the contest to a few of her trusted lieutenants.

I don't know, I just wanted to give my input (even though, yes, I know I'm just a little cricket in a big pond) and I think that if there weren't another contest a lot of people would be very disappointed.

Like me.....sniff, sniff....:cry:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And where would we all be without brokenfingers' wacky voting comments?

(Never mind me; I'm just looking for an excuse to invoke the dancing banana)

:banana:

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I think that post was the least wacky thing brokenfingers has ever posted.

As a lurker who comes out of hiding to communicate or beg for assistance once in a while, I agree with bf's entire post. The contest was what brought me here [thanks to firehorse, actually!], but I've stayed for the extremely helpful information and entertaining folks I have found here since then.

OK, and for Vote_Bot. But you all knew that.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
mkcbunny said:
I think that post was the least wacky thing brokenfingers has ever posted.
I suspect I've been misinterpreted. I was referring to his weekly surreal p*sstake observations (looking forward to voting on Wednesday when the deadline is Tuesday, mixing up authors and their entries).

Then again, maybe you weren't referring to my post at all. It's so hard being a solipsist.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
I suspect I've been misinterpreted. I was referring to his weekly surreal p*sstake observations
Nope. I was agreeing with you. :) That post up there is about the most straighforward thing bf has ever posted.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
And where would we all be without brokenfingers' wacky voting comments?:banana:

Yes, BF is very witty. And he's also a troublemaker.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I have my rare moments of lucidity.

The doctors say that's a good sign....

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
And maybe Joe C would volunteer to be some kinda technical consultant or something....just cuz I like a lot the way the screenwriting contest is going. I mean, as a voter. (I don't know what it's like as a contestant.) I purtickyulerly like that the entries are annonymous. That would put an interesting kink into the idolatry wuddin it?

(Say yes, bf!)