Does Anyone Else Turn Down Job Opportunities for Writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Let me briefly explain my situation.

I'm a Fed, and I don't make much money. Basically, I'm a secretary one step above the summer interns on the cliched ladder, and I've been in this position for 3.5 years. Almost 4, actually.

I don't have a college degree.

There are not many job opportunities for anything in the next pay grade unless I went to DC. The tiny pay bump is not nearly enough for me to turn my 9 hour days (8.5 hrs, plus about 30 minutes commute round trip) into 12 hour days. No thank you.

The only way to spend a year in the next pay grade (which I have to do to advance to the one beyond that), is if my boss does it for me. But being the gov't, it takes time, and he's gotta justify it, and it's a big mess. He's talked with me several times about it because the fact is, I have always done work way beyond my job description. But he's always busy, and I haven't bugged him about it in awhile.

The biggest plus about this job is that I have lots of time to write. Which is a big part of why I haven't pursued my boss in the promotion.

I still plan to, but now I'll wait until after the wedding (on Thursday). There's no way I'd look anywhere else outside the government for a job because I have great security and benefits.

Does anyone else...suffer at a low-paying, annoying job because the benefit of having the time to write is worth more than a possible, small raise?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Alpha...

Since you asked. For over 20 years I was in construction management. Project Superintendent for lots of big companies. I always found the time to write, but it was not what I call serious effort. Why? Family and career came first...

After 911 something in me snapped. I was in DC right across from the White House working. Long story short, on the way home, I can remember pulling over and watching the Pentagon burn. I have lots of friends who work there.

By time I got home I had made a decision, life is to short and if I am ever going to find out if I had what it takes to become a PUBLISHED writer, (not a self printed one), then I needed to start treating my writing seriously. Six month later I had another job that is 1/3 of what I used to make. My kids were now adult with their own family's so I down sized my life and today, I have more time than ever to write, read, and study the various techniques of writing.

Today, I am happy about my decision. No more two hour commutes, (one way). That alone might add 5-10 to my life.

I think when people change careers, it has to be for the right reason, at the right time and with the right attitude and not just because they hate their old careers. Higher income is desirable, but not always the best reason to hold onto or seek another job. There are other factors at play as well, such as personal growth and happiness...

Good luck on the decision making process...

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Alpha...

Since you asked. For over 20 years I was in construction management. Project Superintendents for lots of big companies. I always found the time to write, but it was not what I call serious effort. Why, family and career came first...

After 911 something in me snapped. I was in DC right across from the White House working. My daughter called me on the cell phone and told me to get out of DC. Long story short, on the way home, I can remember pulling over and watching the Pentagon burn. I have lots of friends who work there.

By time I got home I had made a decision, Life is to short and if I am ever going to find out if I had what it takes to become a PUBLISHED writer, (not a self printed one), then I needed to start taking my writing life seriously. Six month later I had another job that is 1/3 of what I used to make. But my kids were now adult with their own family's so it was the right time. I down sized my life and today, I have more time than ever to write, read, and study the various techniques of writing.

The problem is there is still no guarantee my writing will ever be publishable. But that too is OK, because the fact is, my kids are proud of me and how far I have come. Oh, I wish I had more money, better health benefits and all the other perks that I used to have. But I am happy about my decision. No more two hour commutes, (one way). That alone might add 5-10 to my life.

I think when people change careers, (no matter the circumstances), it has to be for the right reason, at the right time and with the right attitude and not just because they hate their old careers. Higher income is desirable, but not always the best reason to hold onto or seek another job. There are other factors at play as well, such as personal growth and happiness...

Good luck on the decision making process...

Thanks so much for sharing. And the things you mentioned - the 2 hour commute, etc, aren't worth it to me.

I'm getting married on Thursday. I'm going to be a stepmommy, and my husband has 50% visitation, so she's with us a lot. She's young - just finished k-garten, so she's going to be starting up with afterschool activities, and I want to be involved as much as possible in her life. My husband makes a decent living. We get home at the same time in the evenings and spend a lot of time together. I love my life the way it is.

But sometimes I get frustrated. I need to remind myself of the benefits to my home life.

It's just frustrating.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of had that problem. I'm a college student and really needed a job this summer or my mom was literally going to ship me off to live with my grandmom down the shore so i could get a job on the boardwalk. I searched and searched sadly for jobs that didnt require much work. I had the chance to become a waitress but i turned it down because well you cant write and serve people at the same time. Thankfully a job from my school poped up and i now sit at a desk doing pretty much nothing. I was really lucky because all i do is write now... even got my 6th book finished last week.

So i say your making a good choice. As long as you can handle being paid what your paid, and it doesnt cause you many problems in life and your not in constant angony having to work at a job you hate then congrates on being able to relax at a nice job where you can do what you love, write.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Thanks so much for sharing. And the things you mentioned - the 2 hour commute, etc, aren't worth it to me.

I'm getting married on Thursday. I'm going to be a stepmommy, and my husband has 50% visitation, so she's with us a lot. She's young - just finished k-garten, so she's going to be starting up with afterschool activities, and I want to be involved as much as possible in her life. My husband makes a decent living. We get home at the same time in the evenings and spend a lot of time together. I love my life the way it is.

But sometimes I get frustrated. I need to remind myself of the benefits to my home life.

It's just frustrating.
Yes, think carefully about this part as well. I took a job because it seemed okay and it was permanent versus my temp position prior. I should have listened to my gut.

It has ruined my home life. I feel like I barely get to see my husband or my kids. I hate this job with a passion in ways I cannot even describe. I'd give anything to have evenings where I am home in time to do stuff with the little ones and actually speak with my husband.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I went to agricultural college, that meant being on the yard at 7am everymorning to feed and milk and clean the sheds. after that I had class until five, then evening yards until six thirty.

I rode three of my own horses then grabbed some dinner and was at my job at the bar for nine where I worked until two am.

I did this seven days a week for five years. And in that time I wrote seven books and still managed to date and have friends.

So stop making excuses. If you really want to write then you'll MAKE time to do it, regardless of what your job is.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I have. I've been asked to apply for several promotions at my current job (all with decent pay bumps) but since they also involve more hours and more stress, I turn them down. My co-workers look at me like I'm crazy, but...my goal isn't to climb the corporate ladder. It's to have a lucrative writing career. So. :)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start my final year of my BA and I am applying for an MA also. I also work as a manager of a restaurant in a huge tourism area. I only applied for a summer waitressing job!

The reality is that if I don't work, I can't do the cool stuff like Uni or write.

So yep, I make time after running around a restaurant for nine hours (plus another two hours of commuting.)

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I've turned down promotions to have more time and energy to write.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
It's not just for writing. A big part of it is for my new family. Maybe if I could get a great raise and know that I could come back to living so close to work in a year, if I had an end date, I could do it.

But people that disappear into DC tend to not come back out.

I guess it depends on who you are. I don't like to be stretched thin. When I'm home, my life belongs to my family. Yes, I get some writing done at home, but most of it I get done at work. If I switch jobs, not only will I miss out on the Little One's afterschool stuff and family dinner, but I'll be too tired to ever read or write after work. I won't have time or energy to do much beyond cleaning up the kitchen or working out.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I also hate being stretched thin. Been there, done that, with disasterous results. I'm still making changes to create more breathing room in my life (a series of brain lapses the past month convinced me that I'm still trying to do too much in too little time). Writing is only one reason to maintain a sane life balance. Family, friends, exercise, play time, and downtime are all important as well.

Last edited:

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I didn't exactly turn down job opportunities, but I did quit my full-time job in order to become a freelancer and have more time to write.

I now make half of what I used to. Sometimes less.

I also now have three novels published. I am very happy with the trade.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Spookily, I've just had a talk with my operations manager on the phone this evening.

He's told me, if I play my cards right I'm the prefered choice to become the manager of a new site they've just acquired. More money and a highly prestigious location.

Do I want the promotion? Hell yes, and it won't interfere with my writing ambitions either.

PS, it will make me the only female manager in the company.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dialed my career waaaaaaay back about a decade ago, but it was to put motherhood first and my career second. It also opened up my life to other things, including my writing. I'll never go back to the rat race.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
DC commutes are the 2nd worse in the nation and mass transit around here is a joke. I would think twice about moving to the DC area unless you are on a Gov Career path...

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It's not just for writing. A big part of it is for my new family. Maybe if I could get a great raise and know that I could come back to living so close to work in a year, if I had an end date, I could do it.

I think this is it. When you have a family it changes your perspective on things. They always come first.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I didn't exactly turn down job opportunities, but I did quit my full-time job in order to become a freelancer and have more time to write.

I now make half of what I used to. Sometimes less.

I also now have three novels published. I am very happy with the trade.

I'm glad you're happy with the trade, and congrats on three novels. I don't see myself quitting my job unless I happened to make a lot as an author. Though my husband does well, we like the double income and want to put aside money so that we can actually retire once I'm 57 - at 57, I can retire with full gov't benefits.

Do I want the promotion? Hell yes, and it won't interfere with my writing ambitions either.

PS, it will make me the only female manager in the company.

Well, congratulations! That's wonderful!

I'll never go back to the rat race.

Good for you. I've actually told my boss I never want to be as important as she is - she carries her Blackberry and works constantly. Even on days off, she responds to emails and conducts phone meetings...no thanks. I don't think you could pay me enough.

DC commutes are the 2nd worse in the nation and mass transit around here is a joke. I would think twice about moving to the DC area unless you are on a Gov Career path...

Well, I am a Fed. I'm all ready in the DC area - Northern VA. We wouldn't move closer to DC if I took a job there. I'd have to commute - either 90 min. on the train (after 15 min. to the train), an hour on the metro (after an hour to the metro), or 2 hours in my car. I'm just not thinking that's worth it.

I think this is it. When you have a family it changes your perspective on things. They always come first.

Absolutely. I agree.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A Fed who doesn't make much money? You're the first I've met, or we have different notions of what "much money" means. And I'd guess the benefits are as spectacular as any other Fed job.

But if you're serious about being a writer, I'd say make writing a priority, and place a nine to five job second. You have to do what makes you happy, as long as you accept the fact that what makes you happy today may be the cause of your misery tomorrow.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm bottom of the barrel. My literal title is "secretary." The benefits are very good, especially knowing my husband and I will have health insurance until we die, even after retirement. The money's ok. Barely enough to live off of alone here in the suburbs of DC though.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
A Fed who doesn't make much money? You're the first I've met, or we have different notions of what "much money" means. And I'd guess the benefits are as spectacular as any other Fed job.

I'm curious what you consider a lot of money and spectacular benefits. Civil service jobs are decent, but they're not lucrative compared to doing the equivalent job in private industry.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious what you consider a lot of money and spectacular benefits. Civil service jobs are decent, but they're not lucrative compared to doing the equivalent job in private industry.

Exactly. I have a friend who went from a contractor to a Fed, and she made more as a contractor but wanted the Federal benefits and also the ability to change jobs.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
There are not many job opportunities for anything in the next pay grade unless I went to DC. The tiny pay bump is not nearly enough for me to turn my 9 hour days (8.5 hrs, plus about 30 minutes commute round trip) into 12 hour days. No thank you.

... if I were you I'd ask the boss if it would be possible for you to keep working where you are and go up a pay grade, after explaining my reservations about the commute. (Writing wouldn't have to be mentioned.) Or I might consider relocating to DC if that was feasible. Lengthy commutes are beat. I've done them myself throughout the years. I still managed to write, but it was difficult. Getting back to you, your present job seems pretty ideal. So maybe you might just want to stick with it and take a pass on the promotion. G'luck.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
... if I were you I'd ask the boss if it would be possible for you to keep working where you are and go up a pay grade, after explaining my reservations about the commute. (Writing wouldn't have to be mentioned.)

This is what I've done. Unfortunately, my boss has horrible time management, and we've only been able to talk about it a couple times. After my wedding, I'm going to corner him and force him to start the ball rollin.' He says he wants it for me, but I need his help to make it happen. Ideally, I could make it happen before the end of the Fiscal Year...but that's doubtful.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else...suffer at a low-paying, annoying job because the benefit of having the time to write is worth more than a possible, small raise?

Never again. I had a similar situation, but within a civilian company. I worked nights as well. I kept putting in applications to other positions within the company to try to get out of that low paid, low ranked job but had to rely on the boss to make the recommendation. He did not because he would never find a worker willing to work all night for low pay in a dead end job for as little pay as I did. After 10 years of bashing my head against the wall, I got out. I'm much happier.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I was a Fed for 22+ years, then a Fed contractor for 16. I started out making not so much, but retired making a lot. I retired as a Federal Agent & still get offers of contract employment, even though I am disabled, elderly & not really interested in working at it any more.

I loved it, though - find the job you love and you will never work.

When I began to write, I was just as passionate about that as my "day" job (24 hour days!) I chose assignments differently and managed my time so as to maximize all the things I loved about my life, including family and future.

I didn't want to give up anything. I didn't see that I had to make a choice to the exclusion of one endeavor over the other - I needed only to prioritize, look ahead (very important) and choose my activities to fit these drives.

Sometimes that meant back-burnering one endeavor for a short time while I got another one stabilized or enjoyed a success, but it never meant giving it up.

I learned early on that if I set priorities (getting an education I could not afford meant serving in the Army, getting the marketable degree in my chosen field, making officer and working in my chosen field at a lot more $$ & immense pleasure, writing, planning for time to write, eventually painting and a retirement that allows me to do anything I want now) I could have it all.

I never thought of my early jobs as limiting my life - they were ways to get toward my goals until I found better ways.

I wanted jobs I could love, time to write, a happy family and later time to paint. I got everything by realizing how important that 9-5 is, how important it is to enjoy it and make it much more than a horrible slave situation, how important it is to do work you love. You can make your interests and passions pay if you are smart enough to identify the ones that will serve as good careers and if you can realize that your passions need not be mutually exclusive.

For me, that meant getting an education up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.