PDA

View Full Version : can you make glasses to watch a solar eclipse?

defyalllogic
06-28-2010, 07:50 PM
i read that you can using floppy discs.

i know about pinhole cameras, but i don't want the characters to have those.

i want them to have glasses/goggles... unless that's just anti-science

RJK
06-28-2010, 09:40 PM
welders' goggles or glasses provide enough protection.

Keyan
06-28-2010, 09:47 PM
I made an eclipse watcher with two layers of fully-exposed Black and white film in a cardboard frame. As far as I know, I have no eye damage resulting from using them for watching the eclipse, or later, sunspots. Of course, now everyone's gone digital it might be hard to even find black&white film.

Another time, watching an eclipse in India, I used government-provided cardboard glasses with a metallic film inside. Again, it seemed to do the job pretty well.

amlptj
06-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Now this is only information coming from a friend of mine, but when he was in school his teacher taught them how to watch one from doing something with a cardboard box. He told me it was exactly like what the red hed with glasses from the disney cartoon "Recess" does. Ive seen the eposoide she explains what she does, still dont know if the whole thing is true though but you might want to look into it.

Tsu Dho Nimh
06-28-2010, 10:10 PM
It's a form of pinhole camera ... but you don't look through the hole. Poke a tiny hole in an opaque sheet of something, hold it up, look down at the floor and watch the spot of light that is coming through the hole onto the floor.

You can get the same effect from any small spot of light - the light coming through leaves will show the eclipse, the light coming through a wire mesh picnic table, etc.

defyalllogic
06-28-2010, 10:20 PM
i want them to be able to make the glasses like an art project (i like that black and white film idea)... maybe i;ll just go with welder's glasses

blackrose602
06-29-2010, 05:12 AM
You could contact the Museum of Science and Industry in Tampa, FL. I watched an eclipse there with some kind of special eclipse glasses. They were sort of like the cheap cardboard 3D glasses you get at a haunted house, only with some sort of dark film instead of the red and blue. Couldn't have been very expensive to produce, since they handed them out for free to anybody who showed up.

defyalllogic
06-29-2010, 05:52 AM
good suggestion. just ask what they're made of and if i could fin that in my house somewhere... :) Thanks!

Chase
06-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Defyalllogic,

Yes, first fill the bottom of a bucket with water, the murkier the better.

As the sun is blotted out, the water will freeze and make a round ice lense, through which you can. . . .

No, wait! That's how Calliopenjo starts fires without matches.

Sorry, these "cool" junk science threads tend to blend together.

defyalllogic
06-29-2010, 08:11 PM
why not, just not respond?

this is relevant to the story I'm writing. They have glasses for watching a solar eclipse. just wonder if you can make them at home.

Jersey Chick
06-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Here (http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety.html)was something I found via MSNBC. It's from a NASA dude and there's a list of references at the bottom that might help you in your search.

defyalllogic
06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks!

PeterL
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM
It used to be common to coat glass with smoke, soot, for viewing eclipses. To do that one holds a piece of glass over a smoky fire until you can't see anything through it. I know of people using them, and they hadn't become blind, but I can't go any further. You might see what a search ofr "smoked glass eclipse" finds (I just checked, and there are many results).

Sarpedon
06-30-2010, 07:05 AM
didn't Newton make glasses out of gold foil to look at the sun through?