You gotta love Joe Biden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would not be in the least surprised to see GOP campaign ads comprised of nothing but Bidenisms. *snicker*

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like Joe Six-Pack kinda talk, to me...

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The guy was being a smart-ass. Maybe he worked on Gen. McChrystal's staff.

You want dumb? :Wha: I got your dumb right here:
Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican, proposed yesterday that people seeking unemployment benefits or welfare undergo drug tests before they can receive benefits.

"Too many Americans are locked into a life of a dangerous dependency not only on drugs, but the federal assistance that serves to enable their addiction," Hatch said in announcing the proposal. "This amendment is a way to help people get off of drugs to become productive and healthy members of society, while ensuring that valuable taxpayer dollars aren't wasted."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20007929-503544.html

And saying dumb shit is a bipartisan practice. Witness Rep. Paul Kanjorski (D-PA) and be awed by the stupidity.

We're giving relief to people that I deal with in my office every day now unfortunately. But because of the longevity of this recession, these are people -- and they're not minorities and they're not defective and they're not all the things you'd like to insinuate that these programs are about -- these are average, good American people.

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/foot-mo...p-kanjorski-likens-calls-minorities-defective

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Nighttimer, when we're talking politicians, there's plenty of dumb to go around. Hatch and Kanjorski are two shining examples. But you're never going to get me to believe Joe Biden is a pile of genius. I think he's a liability to the President and I wouldn't be surprised if he's off the ticket next time.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
If you're giving away money, what's wrong with putting restrictions on the giveaway? Aren't drugs illegal? So what's wrong with not giving away free money to criminals?

Maybe the problem is with the giveaways and the bad drug laws, and not the fact that some politician wants to interpret them in a way consistent with the way they're written.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They just need to put the drugs in the custard.

Mmmmmmmmmm.....drugged custard....

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I read the article and looked at the video, and in the context it happened, I don't think Joe's remark is all that out of line. Not Biden's best moment, but the manager was being a smart ass when all Joe asked was how much he owed him for the custard.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the fun of politics is to take whatever the politician says and blow it way out of proportion and stuff. :Huh:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
If you're giving away money, what's wrong with putting restrictions on the giveaway? Aren't drugs illegal? So what's wrong with not giving away free money to criminals?
I agree. Anyone receiving government assistance, including Medicaid, should be required to wear an electronic monitor and have their place of residence available for police searches at any time, just as if they were on parole.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Anyone receiving government assistance, including Medicaid, should be required to wear an electronic monitor and have their place of residence available for police searches at any time, just as if they were on parole.

I was thinking along similar lines - if you're going to justify drug testing, how many other things would you have to justify, if consistency is what you're going for?

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Near as I can tell from skimming a bunch of purported research on the matter, the soft sciences seem to believe there's a negative relationship between drug use and employment. So, if you have a beef with the resulting policy, perhaps you ought to take it up with the researchers.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Include anyone getting a government paycheck, and I'm down with that. I'd give up my wife's Medicaid and my future Social Security payments in a heartbeat to see politicians, cops, and bureaucrats living under the police state they created. I don't have to have a dime of their money if they make it hard to get. It's just really nice to get back some of what they stole over the years.

YMMV.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Near as I can tell from skimming a bunch of purported research on the matter, the soft sciences seem to believe there's a negative relationship between drug use and employment. So, if you have a beef with the resulting policy, perhaps you ought to take it up with the researchers.

Or, if in fact that is the real issue, we ought to look at how we treat mental illness in this country, given the pretty common co-occurence of both that and drug addiction.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGdGrf4...psychoactive-drugs/l-3/5-drugs-depression.htm

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
The worst part is that Biden went into the store for "ice cream' - he didn't know Kopp's is famous for their custard.

That goof doesn't sit well with us Wisconsinites.

:tongue

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
smart asses at least have a brain somewhere

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
To be fair, it's not like Joe Biden can do anything to lower taxes. He's the Vice President. He only gets to vote in the senate in the event of a 50-50 tie. And while it's nice if the President listens to his VP, he's really just there so that he can take over if Obama dies or is incapacitated.

Status
Not open for further replies.