Justify your Vote: The AbsoluteWrite Absolutely Awful Poetry Contest.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Once the voting has commenced (2nd Sept: 09:00am Central time), anybody wanting to share how they reached their decision and/or other voting related comments please do use this thread. When I have made my choice I'll be doing the same!

susanabra

slipping across borders
Registered
Reaction score
I voted, but I sent the PM to the wrong person. Now I don't know if it counts, because I just saw that voting starts after 9 AM Central time. I'm on Greenwich +2. What time is it? When does voting end? AARGH

OK, I voted around 6 AM central time, so now that I've rediected the vote to the right person a couple of minutes ago, it should be the 2nd September, after 9 AM, but still morning... or what? Anybody else have these problems?

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who to vote for????

So many bad poems, I'm not sure. Cassie's was pretty bad, Unique's was uniquely horrible, Jenna's gave me shivers, Ray's was rather gross and unsettling, Inexperiencedinker's sounded like some inexperienced poet wrote it....

Just can't decide. Have to give it some thought.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I voted for Nateskate. His poem was so awful I couldn't finish it. Two thumbs and ten toes down.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Well, I had to pick rhymegirl. There was something very staccato about her poem. It scratched, in a very non-musical way, across the surface of my mind. Great use of language...and I mean this in a BAD way. She knew that sound had a lot to do with bad poetry, and she captured that. I hope she wins, or loses....geesh, which is worse? or better? Anyway, there you have it. Rhyme gets my vote.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
KTC, thanks for the vote of con... I mean nonconfidence.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It was the least I could do, or was it the most I could do? I am so confused. We're voting for bad writing, but we're voting for the best of the bad, which is the worst of the bad, I think. I can't wrap my head around it. (-;~

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
I voted for Unique. It was so bad I considered painkillers after reading it. Plus I am a sucker for bad puns. The whole poem was one bad pun after another. I think it would make a bad song...oh it is a bad song. Oh well.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I have dial-up. I voted for Reph. 'Nuff said.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody noticed that so far we've each picked someone different? I think it's gonna be a tough competition.

Oh, I forgot, I voted for Cassie's love poem. What can I say? I couldn't get that poem out of my head. And boy did I try!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a good thing we were picking the worst of the worst. (Baddest of the very bad?) There were some I actually - well, liked - sounds weird but I did.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a problem. I want to vote for Munchkin--loved the teenage angst bleeding all throughout the poem, and the title was the kicker ("My Entry"). Also loved the way she felt compelled to explain the poem at the end with that littlebittyrunonsentence.

BUT--Munchkin has only posted once. And I can't give her a rep point again for the poem entry. Help, help!

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Pat, help is here. I posted a method for giving the rep point in the main contest thread.

Titus Raylake

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I've received quite a few positive (or should I say negative?) responses for my poem about the potato. Everybody seems to find "wait-o" hilarious :).

I think my poem is so bad it's good... and then it's just plain bad again. I don't know, you'll have to decide for yourself. Vote for me, if it be your fate-o!

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
pb I'd just go ahead and place the PM for Munchkin and then hold the rep point part of the vote until whenever it is possible to give it.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Alphabet. That's what I'll do (I PM'd Munchkin today).

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I voted for reph. Why?

To me, what makes a truly awful poem is the appearance that the writer actually believed he/she was writing a great poem. Reph's poem looked like it was a serious attempt at greatness, but was truly awful. Great job, reph!!!!

Rob :)

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
OK.... I've narrowed it down :banana:
BUT... I'm still deciding between TEN uber-bad entries

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
To me, what makes a truly awful poem is the appearance that the writer actually believed he/she was writing a great poem. Reph's poem looked like it was a serious attempt at greatness, but was truly awful.
Thank you, Rob! I was trying to make like one who takes oneself way too seriously but has no skill and less judgment and comes off as a pretentious jerk. I guess you got the message.

Thank you, Yeshanu, too!

If someone else gets two votes, will we have a runoff? Eww. I don't want to write such a bad poem again. Maybe someone will get three votes. I can hope.

I haven't voted yet. There are so many I'd like to vote for.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I made a decision, finally, and voted for loquax's poem, the one featuring a restraining order. There were others I liked about as little. These features tipped the scale (and it was hard to tip): 1. It read like an attempt at free verse by someone who thought he was being sophisticated and trendy but had no understanding of rhythm; the studied unevenness of lines just came out as breaks in the wrong places and general awkwardness. 2. It was funny. 3. The writer's persona was creepy.

So there you go: tin ear + humor + yuck.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
I am now deciding between just FOUR truly awful poems

I made a write up of my decisions as I went through the list.. not every poem is listed but more than half have some comment or other. I'm thinking of posting that AFTER the vote closes - anyone who doesn't want to see what I thought of their poem in-thread let me know by then and I'll oblige. If you don't want it in-thread but would still like to know then I can PM, or I can simply take it with me to the grave ;-)

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Paint said:
I voted for Unique. It was so bad I considered painkillers after reading it. Plus I am a sucker for bad puns. The whole poem was one bad pun after another. I think it would make a bad song...oh it is a bad song. Oh well.

I thought it was funny. Pain that makes me laugh is alright by me.