This message applies to people of all faiths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Ask your churches, synogogue or whatever place of worship to become active in helping the U.S refugees. Instead of leaving them down there in buildings, find out how many volunteers would be willing to take in a family for months to a year. Then contact the Red Cross or Salvation Army, or Catholic Social Services with this information, saying, "We have three homes (whatever number) Two can take in a family of three, and one is willing to take in a single individual (specify gender and age)

People from these agencies can put you in touch with someone to coordinate connecting those individuals or families and the transportation.

You might find some people in those churches who can't take in families, but are willing to help those who do with food and clothing, or cash. Make a difference!

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Nateskate said:
Ask your churches, synogogue or whatever place of worship to become active in helping the U.S refugees. Instead of leaving them down there in buildings, find out how many volunteers would be willing to take in a family for months to a year. Then contact the Red Cross or Salvation Army, or Catholic Social Services with this information, saying, "We have three homes (whatever number) Two can take in a family of three, and one is willing to take in a single individual (specify gender and age)

People from these agencies can put you in touch with someone to coordinate connecting those individuals or families and the transportation.

You might find some people in those churches who can't take in families, but are willing to help those who do with food and clothing, or cash. Make a difference!

the city i live in is already taking in refugees. we've set up a fund with catholic charities to bring in money, jobs and homes for them. also my church has sent people down south to assist in getting folks help. i think the churches moved faster than the govenment.

kim

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Houston stepping up to the plate

i just received this email from my coworker from Lakewood Church (John Olsteen's church) in Houston, TX:
In the wake of the devastation and tragedy left by Hurricane Katrina, Lakewood Church is partnering with area charities including the Houston Food Bank, the Red Cross, and other Houston churches to reach out to the thousands of hurricane victims. So many people have lost everything and need all the help we can offer.

Lakewood Donation Drive
The following items are being collected:

• Bottled Water/ Drinks (like Gatorade, Juice, etc.)
  • Non-Perishable Ready-To-Eat Food Items
  • Baby Food
  • Personal Toiletries
  • Diapers
  • Gift Cards from General Retailers (like Wal-Mart / Target / Walgreen's, etc.)
Bring your donations to the Lakewood Church Central Campus at 3700 Southwest Freeway, Houston 77027. The collection hours and locations are as follows:

• Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm @ the West Circle Drive off Timmons
  • Saturday: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm @ the West Circle Drive off Timmons
  • 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm @ Lower Edloe outside the Grand Entry when attending the Saturday Night Service
  • 7:00 am - 2:00 pm @ Lower Edloe outside the Grand Entry when attending Sunday Services
For directions and a map, click here.

Hurricane Katrina Houston Refugee Fund
As well as collecting items for donation, Lakewood Church is partnering with the City of Houston and other Houston churches to underwrite the food costs during September to provide 3 hot meals daily to the 25,000 refugees brought from the New Orleans Super Dome to the Houston Astrodome. The estimated cost and fundraising goal is $5 million. Please consider making a donation to help feed these hurting children and families.

For more information, or to donate online, please visit our site.

God bless you for your generous support in this time of need!

Lakewood Church Ministry Team

Lakewood has also instituted an "Adopt a family" service, where folks can take in family members. http://www.click2houston.com/news/821178/detail.html

Here's a listing of other folks stepping up to the plate in houston. Thank God for the people of Houston, TX!!!
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/storm2001/940389

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
This is such a devestating tragedy. I see that there are a number of places coordinating finding homes for refugees. So, if churches and other places will alert their congregations/ people that these agencies exist, hopefully they will find volunteers. I think most networks like CNN.COM have links to these.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
And for those with faiths who may not have a central church, synagogue, mosque, building, whatever and would like to take in refugees check out:

http://www.hurricanehousing.com

You can list any space you have available for refugees.

Rabe...

Status
Not open for further replies.