PDA

View Full Version : Smoke laden books

MaryMumsy
06-28-2010, 05:21 AM
A while back there was a thread where methods of removing smoke smell from books was discussed. I can't find it. I'm clearing out a house involved in an estate. The man was a heavy smoker. There are dozens of hardback books I would like to donate to the friends of the library, but don't want to do it while they smell like a pool hall. Can any one find the thread, or re-post the pertinent information?

MM

Medievalist
06-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Lysol spray, that you wipe off with paper towels.

Dryer sheets, rub the entire out side book, and the pages.

artemis31386
06-28-2010, 08:54 AM
That will help with the books I have. I got them off of a relative and didn't know how to remove the smokey smell.

SadieCass
06-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Two suggestions...

1. Baking soda. Put the book in a bag w/ baking soda sprinkled in the bottom for about a week.

2. Activated charcoal(like used in fish tanks) or something w/ zeolite (like kitty litter). Put some in a plastic storage bin w/ the books for several days. It should absorb the smell.

Safest...I'd be afraid to spray anything on my books. These are the safest and most natural ways.

benbradley
06-28-2010, 02:26 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89878

Unique
06-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I put mine in the back seat of my truck for about a week. (Nice and hot)

Then I put them in a cardboard box with a dryer sheet - leave it in the truck for another week. (Nice and hot)

They are clean and sweet smelling after that. It works good for the mildew smell as well.

MaryMumsy
06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try the baking soda route, as being the least labor intensive. The 'back seat of the truck' method is interesting, but I don't want my car to end up smelling like a pool hall either. Thanks for the link Ben.

MM

Medievalist
06-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Lysol spray, that you wipe off with paper towels.

I note that this is a common technique used by libraries for smoke removal from fires or cigarettes, as well as prevention/killing mildew.

We did this to thousands of books damaged by fire and water after the Los Angeles Public Library fire.