progressing as a writer

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
I have been writing short stories for approx 5 years now. I was encouraged by a wonderful lady who was my muse, proofreader, harshest critique and most avid supporter. When she passed away, I stopped writing for awhile but picked it up again. What I hear from her is her mantra echoing in my mind 'more description'. My short stories have grown from a start of 1.5k to easily 4,5,6k or more. She still inspires me to strive for more, to improve. I've sold some to an adult website that prefers 2-3k but they do take mine even though they may be longer.

It seems now that I am writing two kinds of erotica. One for the site with what I know they want in the way of length and explicitness. And others for myself with the hope of selling them elsewhere. I finish a story of one type and then switch to the other.

Just wondering if it's better to stick with one style so that I can progress faster or to just keep plugging away as I am now.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure sailor. Are you happy with both styles? One is making you a little money, which is nice. The one you write for yourself may be where you can stretch and improve, in my opinion.

Pretend you write instruction manuals as your 'day' job and at night become a horror writer extraordinaire. Is this so very different?

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
The styles are not that different, at least I don't think so. As you said, one makes a little money, hopefully the other will too. What I am trying to do is develop the story and characters to a greater depth. The ultimate goal is to pen the great Canadian erotic novel. I thinking that I will carry on with both. The one thing I don't want is to write the short and naughty one, sell it, then say to myself 'Crap, that's the one that could'a been a contender.'

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Last year we had story prompts in Erotica SYW. El usually tried to keep us to a 'word count' but, some of us were better than others. Maybe if you have a chance you can take a look. We were given a direction or subject and then we took off on our own tangents.

My point, in this ramble, it that I had a short in one of these prompts that I borrowed and used during NaNo to turn into a novel. I'm working on the query (again) right now. So...it's possible to have a short, sell it and have an idea strike later about expanding it. Change a few details, flesh it out and you are still good.

Maybe when things settle down, we'll be able to do this again. It really made me think and I enjoyed seeing the other ideas. You learn a lot from other writers and the suggestions and short crits were great.

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent idea, I will take a look. Thanks Synonym. I will be sending the pm request for the password. Not sure if there is a minimum post requirement for that but will check out the SYW shortly. Also, want to post there as I definitely need the critiques.

I had thought of changing names, locales, etc to expand a short to a longer piece. I have a couple that I'm thinking about doing that. The exercises you talked about would help me as well.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's no minimum post requirement to read or post in any Share Your Work forum. At SYW Erotica, those who are new here tend to get a perfectly decent number of responses, which isn't always the case in other genres.

It may take a while to get the SYW password, since you're waiting for a person to come to AW and check private messages. If you PM both veinglory and ELMontague, your odds of a quick reply immediately double.

Maryn, who expects to see you there soon

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if there is a minimum post requirement for that but will check out the SYW shortly. Also, want to post there as I definitely need the critiques.

As Maryn said, there's no requirements, but it's polite to critique others writing in return for their critiquing yours.

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
quid pro quo, I understand that for the help I want I should help others. common courtesy

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, someone who grasps the concept of common courtesy. All hail sailor!

Maryn, bowing low

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But it shows off my ass!

Maryn, delusional about anybody caring to see it

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
quid pro quo, I understand that for the help I want I should help others. common courtesy

Oh, how I wish more people in other SYWs shared your sentiment.

Welcome. :D

Maryn...put it away dear.

*runs*