Will "U" Marry Me?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Being a writer has destroyed my sense of romance.

At the beach this morning we heard one of those little airplanes that totes signs around the sky. Unusual for the beach we go to, so everyone looked. It read:
Christine, I Love "U". Will "U" Marry Me? Nick

Ten seconds later a bunch of people a ways down from us erupted into cheers. I guess Christine said yes.

Dh said, "Cheesy. What do you think?"

I said, "I'd say no unless he agreed to grammar lessons."

Okay, it was a joke. It really was a romantic gesture, but "U"? With the quotes and everything?! Come on, surely it could have been reworded!

I know, for someone who loves romance I'm awfully picky. Would this have made you groan or would the guy get a pass for cuteness?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I think it's cute. When it comes to the things of the heart....let it fly.

Reaction score
cos if the air writing was aimed at you, do you really think you'd be considering the grammar?
I would.

If a man doesn't respect my career (or my eyes) enough to spell correctly, I'm saying no.

Call me picky. Illiteracy is not an attractive quality.

Elle

Merely drifting
Registered
Reaction score
I would guess his grammar is usually better than that, but either he wanted/had to save space on the message, or he wanted to make it a quicker read as it passed in the sky. Since it was in quotes, there's the possibility it was some kind of inside joke between the couple. In the moment, I definitely would concentrate on the romantic intentions. :)

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
If a man doesn't respect my career (or my eyes) enough to spell correctly, I'm saying no.

Call me picky. Illiteracy is not an attractive quality. SP QUOTE

But what if he had a really, really big ,em, personality?

Reaction score
What's wrong with just asking someone to marry you?

I hate the idea of a public proposal. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Anything with an audience would result in an instant no.

No, it doesn't mean I have no romance in my soul - it means I prefer to keep the romance for my S/O rather than the rest of the world.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I give all my dates a spelling test before I'll even get in the car.

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Hell, I think my response would be, "Is it really that much trouble to put in the extra two letters?"

Then I would eventually get to the yes. But still. That would irk me.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
What's wrong with just asking someone to marry you?

I hate the idea of a public proposal. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Anything with an audience would result in an instant no.

No, it doesn't mean I have no romance in my soul - it means I prefer to keep the romance for my S/O rather than the rest of the world.

Amazing, we're (men) asked to be romantic, deliver - and this is the thanks we get...

;)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Are there canes n stuff involved? cos, you know...

No, I just slam the door in their face. I haven't been on a date in 18 months. Surprising, I know.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Perhaps they charged by the letter and it was more than he had in his budget.

I'm just sayin'.

However, I'd rather it be a bit more romantic and private. And there's better be candle light and stars or it's a no.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
No, I just slam the door in their face. I haven't been on a date in 18 months. Surprising, I know.
Me either and I'm not sorry about that. My kids are shocked. I haven't been without a husband or bf since they were with me.

I'm sorta enjoying the peace. It gets lonely at times but then I remember what I'd have to contribute to a relationship and I just smile and go curl up on the couch with a video and my new baby (well she's three years old and I adore her) kitty and I'm happy as a clam. For now.

Reaction score
Perhaps they charged by the letter and it was more than he had in his budget.

I'm just sayin'.

However, I'd rather it be a bit more romantic and private. And there's better be candle light and stars or it's a no.
Mmm, a cheapskate. Not a good marriage prospect.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, a cheapskate. Not a good marriage prospect.
It might be that he's just not got enough money after he pays for everything else. Perhaps it was seriously all the money he had and he'd have paid more if he had it.

Do we need to have a chat about bitter and cynical again? ;)

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Do marriage proposals still actually exist? Those I know who got married - it just went naturally in that direction.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I'm with SP on the spelling/grammar thing. Ignorance is not attractive. Thankfully, my hubby fully agrees with me. He may not always spell words correctly every time, but if he's not sure he looks it up or asks, rather than just thinking "Well, good enough."

In this case, the quotes make me think it must have been an inside joke between the couple, which would let me overlook something like that. Still, plastering an inside joke across the sky seems a little silly. And I don't mind public displays of affection, but an intensely private thing like that being broadcast for all to see/hear would embarrass me. I might not say no, but I probably wouldn't say yes right away either. On the other hand, if the guy was asking her to marry him, presumably he knew her well enough to know she would enjoy the public proposal. Though, there have been times when that is not the case, and the girl turned the guy down over it.