Old TV Shows gone forever...

iParkour

Let me tell you a story...
Registered
Reaction score
What shows do you miss the most that have disappeared off the TV set?

I miss the old Hana-Barbera cartoons so much!! Oh and The Underdog Show, and those good family shows like Full House and, what was it, Family Matters? H.R. Puffnstuff and Bananas in Pajamas! haha those were good ones.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Not anymore, but for a long time I missed Taxi. It was the number one show in the country when it was cancelled

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
M.A.S.H

Hands down some of the best comedic writing ever....

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
M.A.S.H

Hands down some of the best comedic writing ever....

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Don liked MASH so much, he said it twice. :D

I miss them all. Except that the majority of them are available on DVD, so I watch them that way. In fact, I'd rather pop in a DVD of Adam-12 or Dragnet 1967 or Have Gun, Will Travel or Wild, Wild West or Combat! or any of a dozen or more shows from the 50s and 60s.

But really, what I miss most is The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and all the old actors that used to make appearances. He was one of a kind, simply brilliant at what he did. And when he'd have Dom Delouise and Burt Reynolds on, it was always a guaranteed laugh riot.

I also, in that same vein, miss the old Dick Cavet show.

And did anyone ever remember seeing Steve Allen's Meeting of the Minds? I wish I could find that on DVD. Wonderful and intelligent. It was a talk show with Steve Allen interviewing, or discussing various topics, with characters from history such as Plato, Cleopatra, Thomas Jefferson, and so on. Probably the most intelligent program on television ever.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I may be showing my youth, but I miss the old school Nickelodeon cartoons.

What sucks is most of them aren't available even on DVD.

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
Boy Meets World. What ever happened to these GOOD Disney shows? Now we have Hannah Montana... *gags*

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Freaks and Geeks, please. Even though I own it. I wanted it to continue, with the same community, the same teachers, and new kids funneling into the school and social systems every four years.

Maryn, who thought it was damned good

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I miss the episodes of Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Get Smart, etc. that I used to watch on Nick at Nite.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And did anyone ever remember seeing Steve Allen's Meeting of the Minds? I wish I could find that on DVD. Wonderful and intelligent. It was a talk show with Steve Allen interviewing, or discussing various topics, with characters from history such as Plato, Cleopatra, Thomas Jefferson, and so on. Probably the most intelligent program on television ever.
I remember it. It was such a great idea, but somehow it didn't quite work for me as much as I might have thought it would have. I'm not exactly sure why. I wonder if it might have been better if Steve had just interviewed one character from the past on each show. When was that, the 1970s?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an oddball one for me: My So-Called Life. I wouldn't have thought I would have enjoyed it as much as I did. I still remember one of the lines from the first episodes. Angela is talking to a teacher about joining the yearbook staff (or something like that). To paraphrase her quote (since it's been fifteen years or so): "Why do they even do yearbooks? If people really remembered what high school was like, the last thing they'd want is to remember it." Sort of summed up my opinion of high school.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's one I liked so much I ended up buying the DVD set of the first year or two: the BBC production of All Creatures Great and Small (or I think it was the BBC, it could have been another English company). I still think this is a shining example of what TV could be.

Last edited:

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
America: Hill St Blues. Taxi. Soap. Canon. Rich Man Poor Man (i know ,sorry) Dallas. (again, apologies) The Rockford Files. MASH

UK: The Boys from the Blackstuff. Porridge. I Cladius. some mothers do 've em. so many really

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
M.A.S.H. will forever be part of the top ten best sitcoms ever. The writing was so sharp it cut.

Soap felt like magic becuase it was...

The Cosby Show. This show bottled that special family feeling and got us all addicted to it.

Cheers. One of the best ensemble casts ever. You really felt like you were hanging out with the fellas.

Married with Children. The show that helped put Fox on the map, too bad they screwed the cast (they were paid in peanut shells).

The Wire. The best crime drama ever. Nothing comes close

Mel...

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
M*A*S*H - my husband gave me the entire 11 year run, and the finale movie for Christmas last year.

Soap - I still think "Piece of Chaleef" whenever I hear the phrase "Chief of Police." Gordon Jump was so funny.

WKRP in Cincinnati - "As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
"Greenpeace? It looks more like a PinkPeace to me" ~ 'Nuff said

Murphy Brown (prior to Lily Tomlin's arrival) - I loved Charles Kimbrough's character. Oh, and it pissed Dan Quayle off.

Coach - again, before they moved to Orlando.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an oddball one for me: My So-Called Life. I wouldn't have thought I would have enjoyed it as much as I did. I still remember one of the lines from the first episodes. Angela is talking to a teacher about joining the yearbook staff (or something like that). To paraphrase her quote (since it's been fifteen years or so): "Why do they even do yearbooks? If people really remembered what high school was like, the last thing they'd want is to remember it." Sort of summed up my opinion of high school.

It's on Hulu!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. I'd have to go with Firefly, The Wire and for nostalgic angst... The Wonder Years. Yeah, really. :D

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Northern Exposure! The first seasons, not so much when Joel was really out there.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. I'd have to go with Firefly, The Wire and for nostalgic angst... The Wonder Years. Yeah, really. :D
I couldn't include Firefly because i'm in denail that it was cancelled.

I watch the entire series once a year.

THe coolest thing happened to me last year. It turns out that I had not seen one of the episodes. I kept skipping over episode #12 for some wierd reason and so it was like watching a NEW episode for me :D

Then I sat in the corner and cried after it was done...

To think so brilliant of a show was cut short...

Uh-oh, I better stop before I start one of my patented "Hate Fox Kill-em all" rants

Mel...

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I may be showing my youth, but I miss the old school Nickelodeon cartoons.

What sucks is most of them aren't available even on DVD.

Dittooooo.

I loved Catdog, Rugrats, and the lot so much when I was younger.

Also,

ghost-writer-01.jpg

And shows like Guts, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and Figure It Out...man, we had it all!

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
I miss WKRP, and wish they would release the original eps with intact music. Sigh.

Also miss Barney Miller, although I do get my fix every Sunday with WGN's retro night.