I think it's time to nudge my agent, and I'm nervous

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Here it is:

April 16 -- I queried Captain Agent, and he responded with a request for my materials.

May 7 -- His gatekeeper got back to me to apologize for taking so long to respond (!) and said she absolutely loved it and was passing it up to the Captain.

May 20 -- Gatekeeper got back to me again and said the Captain loved it and would check back in with me "in a week or so" after they had had time to further develop their ideas for the project.

Nothing since then.

I'm going a little insane here. Every day of silence is another day of Chinese water torture. I realize these people are busy and I'm not faulting them for neglect or laziness; in fact, I've got a friend's manuscript that I've taken waaaay too long to read and I'm nothing but an idle troll living in my mother's basement.

Anyway, on July 1, it will be six weeks since May 20, and my Published Author friend says it will be time for a nudge. I want to do the professional thing. I want to let Captain Agent know that I'm still as interested in them as they (said they) are with me. How do most people do this? A brief, pleasant note to ask how it's going? What should I expect from it?

I have a lot of anxiety about the silence, but I also have a lot of anxiety about the nudge. Help/tea/sympathy from those who have been here, done this?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Check his agency website to see how long they take to respond. It's usually 8-12 weeks from what I've been seeing lately. (some sre more or less)

This business is slooooooow. Don't sweat it too much

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since your communication has mostly been with the gatekeeper, it may just be that the gatekeeper's enthusiasm made him/her underestimate how long it would take the boss to get back to you, and they could have client matters going on...Unless your published author friend is a client of this particular agent (and so his/her advice is agent specific), I'd wait at least 8 weeks, especially in this season on conferences and events.

Good luck.

~suki

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
And since May 20, there's been the Book Expo, a holiday weekend, a number of conferences (if the agent is the conference-type), maybe a family vacation or graduation/wedding, etc that has taken additional days out of the work week.

They started off with unusually good communication and the last you heard was they needed more time to process their ideas. That could mean there are other people involved which compounds how long it will take for them to actually get it all together. I'd give them until July 10 or so to let the next holiday go by and make it closer to the 8-week mark.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you all so far. You're pointing out things that I couldn't see through my fog of anxiety.

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
This doesn't come from anything but superstition, which I normally don't suffer from, however, trying to get published does not fall under normal, so...I'd wait. A little bit longer.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I think regardless of how long he normally takes, they said in a week or so--so, you're completely right to nudge. Good luck!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Here it is:

April 16 -- I queried Captain Agent, and he responded with a request for my materials.

May 7 -- His gatekeeper got back to me to apologize for taking so long to respond (!) and said she absolutely loved it and was passing it up to the Captain.

May 20 -- Gatekeeper got back to me again and said the Captain loved it and would check back in with me "in a week or so" after they had had time to further develop their ideas for the project.

Nothing since then.

I'm going a little insane here. Every day of silence is another day of Chinese water torture. I realize these people are busy and I'm not faulting them for neglect or laziness; in fact, I've got a friend's manuscript that I've taken waaaay too long to read and I'm nothing but an idle troll living in my mother's basement.

Anyway, on July 1, it will be six weeks since May 20, and my Published Author friend says it will be time for a nudge. I want to do the professional thing. I want to let Captain Agent know that I'm still as interested in them as they (said they) are with me. How do most people do this? A brief, pleasant note to ask how it's going? What should I expect from it?

I have a lot of anxiety about the silence, but I also have a lot of anxiety about the nudge. Help/tea/sympathy from those who have been here, done this?

E-mail the Gatekeeper. She said "a week or so," and it's been longer than that. Since you've been in communication with her, this doesn't count as the normal 8-12 week response time. Just drop a line, say you hope she's doing well, and curious about what's happened with the project since you last spoke on the 20th.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you all!

And I realized my Subject Line is a little ahead of the game -- he's not "my agent" yet!

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
I think regardless of how long he normally takes, they said in a week or so--so, you're completely right to nudge. Good luck!

I agree with this. This happened to me a while back when I was querying. They'd lost my materials, and could I please send them again? I had waited two months before asking for a status.

If they said they'd get back to you in a week or so, I would have nudged after two weeks; he's not going to be annoyed with a polite, two-sentence email asking for status. And if he is, would you want him as your agent anyway?

Include the previous correspondence with the assistant in your email.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
i'm with everyone else on this. 2-3 months

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
FYI, I did the katiemac -- sent a polite two-liner. The Gatekeeper got back to me the next day and said they're still interested and eager to chat but someone's not finished reading, and she's gonna pressure that one.