Swiss Chard?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
For the first time ever I am trying swiss chard. It was picked fresh and sold at a farmers market type setting, so it hasn't been sitting in the supermarket nor was it picked early or at the wrong time and what not.

So we're looking at top quality swiss chard so I've heard.

Here's a recipe I found, but I also wanted to hear other people's thoughts on swiss chard and favorite recipes/uses.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/swiss_chard/

wittyusernamehere

Registered
Reaction score
I love to cook it in a little olive oil and then add some broth and cover to wilt it. Right before serving, add a dash of your favorite cooking vinegar (balsamic/malt) and salt/pepper to taste.

Deleted member 42

Also, it's great added to soups at the last minute (tear / chop it into bite-size pieces), and lovely with bacon, and marvelous instead of cabbage in colcannon.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I love swiss chard. For anyone who gardens, try out the Bright Lights variety -- absolutely gorgeous colors in the stalks.

For cooking:

1) toss a little bit raw in salads (but not too much, because it is strong compared to lettuce)
2) substitute for spinach in spinach lasagne (or a quiche, or, really, anything spinach-based; use to stuff chicken breasts with cheese and ham, etc.)
3) steam or saute just until wilted (or to taste) and sprinkle with a few drops of lemon juice.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Swiss chard is nothing more than beet greens. It is the same plant, only a variety which produces larger greens rather than a large root; so if you're growing beets, don't neglect the greens. Chard is an excellent garden green, and I'm going to take issue with JanDarby, about putting it in salads. I've made entire salads using chard as the main green, and they are fabulous. It is, as mentioned, a good spinach substitute, is dead easy to grow in a garden, and the colorful varieties add visual appeal. One of my favorite easy side-dish recipes is:

In a standard skillet, sautée mushrooms and chopped onions with ground pepper lightly in some olive or sesame oil, and when the mushrooms begin to soften, pile as much chopped swiss chard on them as will fit, and cover. Take off the heat and let sit for five minutes or so. The mushrooms will finish cooking, and the ambient heat will cook the greens just about perfectly.

This also works really well with kale, too.

Chopped swiss chard stems go well in any soup or stew or pasta primavera-style dish.

caw

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Well I followed your recipe Blacbird as it seemed to line up with quite a few popular recipes. I really like it. My kids didn't seem to like the onion quite so much so I'll have to cut it down next time, but it is a dish I will repeat. I kept the greens a little crunchy as I didn't want them mush. They had a good flavor. It made a great side dish to a chicken alfredo with fresh garden spices and such in it and ripe cantalope for dessert.