PDA

View Full Version : Giving up on shows

maxmordon
06-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Well, sooner or later this happens on the long-runners. But seems to have happened to me more deeply this last year for me.

After a season of unfunniness and preachiness on the side of the writers I was running out of reasons to watch Family Guy and when I read some of the summaries for the show's new season (really, Brian and Stewie trapped in a vault and Stewie forces him to eat his poop?) it surprises me I stood so much, to be fair, though there were some genuinely funny episodes, like Three Kings, but for each Three Kings there are at least 4 Not All Dogs Go To Heaven. And that's terrible.

Another show I left a while was CSI; I mean, they never recovered after the Tarantino episode, there were close calls (Like the Roger Daltry episode) but after some crazy chances on the cast. (Grissom leaves, Warwick leaves, Hodges is promoted, etc.) it still feels as there's something missing.

Also, The SImpsons is slowly going there for me, they seem to have recovered a bit but it just feels that they are trying to hard nowadays.

What about you? In which moment did you give up long-running shows?

childeroland
06-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Bleach. The moment I realized Ichigo and his crew were practically never getting out of the Soul Society and I had literally forgotten why they'd gone there in the first place.

BenPanced
06-26-2010, 09:47 PM
I gave up on The Simpsons back in 1996. I'd had enough of the special celebrity cameos that had moved the show away from its original focus, which was pretty much an anti-sitcom, ignoring or poking fun at the standards of the formula at the time.

maxmordon
06-26-2010, 10:23 PM
I gave up on The Simpsons back in 1996. I'd had enough of the special celebrity cameos that had moved the show away from its original focus, which was pretty much an anti-sitcom, ignoring or poking fun at the standards of the formula at the time.

Yes! This is one of the things that damaged it most, they stop from being subversive to being an institution.

Wavy_Blue
06-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Agreed about the Simpsons. I grew up on that show, but I stopped watching around 2003.

I haven't really given up on the Office, but I certainly don't make an effort to catch in anymore. The writing just isn't as clever anymore.

plaidearthworm
06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
For the first time since the reboot, I'm giving up on Doctor Who. I tried the Matt Smith eps, I really wanted to like them. But Amy Pond seems to only have panic mode and pout mode, and the writing doesn't feel as inspired. I stuck with it through part 1 of the Hungry Earth, but they lost me on part 2.

LOG
06-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Bleach. The moment I realized Ichigo and his crew were practically never getting out of the Soul Society and I had literally forgotten why they'd gone there in the first place.

The anime is going to be over 300 episodes long. It takes awhile for the plot to get anywhere. Which is not at all unusual among anime, especially the big three because they constantly get filler episodes.
Nowadays I only watch the anime version when I'm bored.
Stick to te manga, it's better.

Rhys Cordelle
06-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Lost. I followed it all the way to the last season and then I just couldn't go any further. From what I've heard, I don't feel like I missed much.

Kitty Pryde
06-27-2010, 10:39 AM
House. I figured out all the episodes were the same...then they tried to liven things up for a while...then it went back to sameness. But darn it I love a good medical mystery, and House is such a great character. Somewhere around the time of the surly hot intern with Huntington's, and House's BFF's dead girlfriend, I realized I just couldn't take it any more.

I had to quit the X-Files even before DD left the show. It was the episode with the little kid hiding inside the nuclear reactor or some senseless shizz like that, and I had a revelation that there was actually no possible way for them to tie in all the nonsense about the main conspiracy of the show to make coherent sense. I gave up. That show ran for waaaaaaay too long and tried to add layer after layer until they lost the plot. I was so burned by this that I refused to watch Lost because I thought it would just end up the same way.

ChaosTitan
06-27-2010, 07:35 PM
I generally give up when I get bored.

24 held me up until this past season. I watched the first 3 hours, then just didn't care any more. It all felt recycled. Tuned in for the finale, though. After seven years with the show, I needed to see the final hour.

"Grey's Anatomy" lost me this season after they killed George. I was iffy with last season, too, but gave up. It doesn't help when I can't stand the narrator (Meredith).

"X-Files" lost me after Mulder left. As much as I love Robert Patrick, I can't stand Annabeth Gish, who eventually took over for Scully. Bleh.

Kyra Wright
06-27-2010, 07:59 PM
While we're at it, why doesn't anyone in Bleach ever get seriously injured or killed (okay...that only goes for the good guys)? ;)

Sorry, nitpicking Bleach could comprise its own thread.

NewKidOldKid
06-27-2010, 09:54 PM
I gave up on The X Files when Mulder left. Watched the last few episodes because I was hoping for a reunion. Wasn't disappointed.

Ken
06-27-2010, 09:56 PM
... haven't made it past the first episode of any show in ages. Just can't relate to any of these modern shows. Am none too pleased about that, but unfortunately there ain't much to be done about that. I like what I like and can't like what I don't, though I still have respect for those shows that aren't for me. They're fine and well-produced, but as I said, just not for me.

heyjude
06-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Definitely The Office. It got too mean-spirited for me.

I hung in till the end of some of them 'cause I'm loyal (X-Files).

I've always loved The Simpsons, but it has lost its luster for me. We're happy to see it if the kids are in bed by then, but it's not on the DVR schedule.

LOG
06-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Sorry, nitpicking Bleach could comprise its own thread.

Knitpicking anime in general could have a whole forum devoted to.

Anarchic Q
06-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Xena - When they began to go around the world or whatever. I was particularly agog when they started to magically fly around in silk.

House - After the episode when 13 makes out with a girl who gets sick, House said something horrible and my brain was all "Why hasn't he ever been sued for sexual harassment?". Plus the fact it all focused on who's screwing who now.

CSI: I realized I hated Sara. And it wasn't the same after Grissom left.

SVU: The last season sucked. Sharon Stone really brought it down with horrible, horrible acting.

Heroes: I didn't watch most of season 3, I skipped season 4.

Grrarrgh
06-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Prison Break - I fought tooth and nail to hang in for as long as I could, but once Doc's head ended up in a box, I was done.

Grey's Anatomy - I took until Izzy started to have sex with her dead boyfriend; that was it for me.

24 - I don't remember exactly when. I finished out a season and just didn't go back for the next one.

Desperate Housewives - It was good for background watching for a little while, then I realized that I couldn't care less about anyone.

Heroes - It just got too convoluted.

SVU - I haven't officially given up on that one yet, but I'm debating whether I'm going to go back for the next season or not.

ether
06-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Heroes - They killed off two of the best characters (Adam and Elle) and yet kept Sylar around for the whole damned thing. I made it up to the first few episodes of the fourth season and gave up.

Lost - Got to season 3 and stopped. I got irritated all the characters I liked were offed in the first and second seasons and all the irritating ones stuck around. The few left that I cared about weren't worth it.

PandaPolka
06-28-2010, 06:14 PM
I've given up on several shows and have a few more near the end.

Criminal Minds is making huge cast changes I don't like AND adding a spin off that seems so unoriginal. :( I fear I won't be able to enjoy it after this season, if even that long.

Lost I gave up on during Season 2 but ended up watching the season finale and loved it. Not sure if that was because it was over or because it was so touching :tongue:

I also gave up on House. It was good for a while but then it hit a giant wall of redundancy.

Alpha Echo
06-28-2010, 06:18 PM
All the Law and Orders. Especially the first one. Once Lenny died...no one could top him. I loved him.

All the CSIs. And I loved them. I don't know...just lost interest. Better shows came on in their places.

American Idol.

I don't really watch too much TV. I do have my shows, but...eh.

DeleyanLee
06-28-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't generally make a point to watch TV series. It's a rare one that captures my attention that I'll even bother to DVR it.

There's been two in the last few years that I've been interested in.

Primeval from the BBC. Marvelous show. I ate up the first season and loved it. Then they did a time shift change and everyone but Cutter was different. I liked some of the changes, hated others (really hated what they did to Steven), but hung in there. Then Cutter left the show and I couldn't care less anymore. I was actually glad it got cancelled. A friend of mine had the series DVR'd and I saw bits of the end with her, but I really didn't care much.

Supernatural has held my attention for its entire five season run. I adore that show so totally much and am curious what they'll do with Season 6. Depending on what they choose to do, they could lose my interest, but I'm hoping not. The writing staff has been so damned good all this time, I'd hate to see it flop now.

mellymel
06-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Lost. I followed it all the way to the last season and then I just couldn't go any further. From what I've heard, I don't feel like I missed much.

Ditto. Watched every season except the last. I had the season dvr'd, watched a few episodes, but just couldn't get into it, which is sad because I was so invested in the characters, but the plot just got too...I don't know, boring? I even erased the last seven episodes off my dvr without ever watching them.

dgiharris
06-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Once all the episodes become carbon copies of each other with no overarching plot, I find that I have no real desire to see them. This includes:

House, Law and Order, CSI, Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park...

No don't get me wrong, I love the shows and can occassionally watch an episode. But the episodes have a sameness to them.

Again, with no overarching plot, I have no real desire to stay tuned each and every week.

I think the shows can learn something from Burn Notice.

Burn Notice has an overarching plot that is prevelant in each episode, but at the same time if you miss an episode you aren't completely lost.

Great writing and characters can only hold my attention for so long. What I need to seal the deal is a good complete storyline.

Mel...

Chasing the Horizon
06-28-2010, 11:45 PM
X-Files and E.R. are the two that stand out in my mind. Both were so good in the beginning and managed to fuck up beyond all redemption by the end. Law & Order the original went from pretty good to amazingly bad too.

dgiharris
06-28-2010, 11:50 PM
E.R. was a show that should have been allowed to die, but instead, they opted to keep the show on life support.

It is super rare for a show to stay fresh and vibrant after five or six seasons.

Mel...

Jilly McGilly
07-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Had to give up on How I Met Your Mother. Marshall is hilarious, and I still love Lily from her Buffy days, but Ted just got. on. my. nerves.

... but I just found Dexter. I got hooked on it in, seriously, the first 10 seconds. I've only seen 2 episodes, but it's flippin' fantastic.

katiemac
07-01-2010, 01:11 AM
I don't consciously give up on shows. If I miss an episode and don't make the effort to catch up, then I'm just kind of done.

Enzo
07-01-2010, 07:10 PM
The big shows are over, the final seasons of Lost and 24 are still ahead where I'm living. Instead they now have NCIS:LA, Melrose Place, something spooky with Matthew Fox, and the xxth season of CSI.
Fortunately, there is the World Cup. On July 10, Spartacus will debut. Of course, I know its reputation from the US but I doubt whether they'll show the original "uncleaned" version in an Asian country.

Cranky
07-01-2010, 07:28 PM
I gave up on Dexter. I liked the first season, but the last few eps of season two turned me off. Too many "retard" jokes -- five eps in a row, IIRC. Hit my personal "No way" button, so I stopped watching. YMMV. I was on the fence to begin with, though.

I gave up on E.R. not long after they killed off Anthony Edwards' character. I stopped being a regular viewer when George Clooney's character left, though.

darkprincealain
07-02-2010, 07:39 AM
I don't consciously give up on shows. If I miss an episode and don't make the effort to catch up, then I'm just kind of done.

I think I'm here, with katie. I admit I did this with Ally McBeal back in the day, and when I checked back in towards the end of the series I found that Jenny was a great replacement for Georgia. But sometimes I think I subconsciously lose interest and don't make it a priority to catch up.

MrWrite
07-02-2010, 09:07 PM
For the first time since the reboot, I'm giving up on Doctor Who. I tried the Matt Smith eps, I really wanted to like them. But Amy Pond seems to only have panic mode and pout mode, and the writing doesn't feel as inspired. I stuck with it through part 1 of the Hungry Earth, but they lost me on part 2.

Can't believe I'm saying this as I'm a lifelong Doctor Who fan but I agree the writing is totally uninspired. Amy is terrible too. No real personality. I'm still not convinced by Matt Smith. I think there've only been 2 stories this season so far I liked. The Dalek one was fun if a bit stupid but the weeping angel 2 part storyline was fantastic. Everything else has just been blah.

Spidah
07-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Word. The new Dr. is growing on me, but Amy Pond just has me yelling at the TV each week.
After watching last week's I am wondering-- do you think they're trying to make her unlikeable?
Maybe I just want to believe it hasn't tanked. I want to pretend this character has purpose.

Saoirse
07-04-2010, 08:00 PM
I almost gave up on Lost several times throughout the past 3 seasons or so, but was too invested in it. I did watch the last season and I'm glad I did b/c it was awesome. And the finale was sooooo good.

I've kind of given up on Office. We have a few DVDs still to watch (playing catchup) but......meh. And now that Steve Carell (sp?) is leaving, I'm not sure I even care at this point.

Cheers,
S.