The Super Dooper Celebrity Death Match/Compare the Actors Thread

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
It seems we are in need of a Super Dooper Celebrity Death Match Thread. And here it is.

Simply pick two actors to match up and compare them. To the Death.

Rules:

1) It can be as serious or as fun as you like.
2) Remember to be civil and keep with the over-riding rule we have on the forums 'respect your fellow writer'.
3) Don't compare Richard Dean Anderson with anyone else, he's too good for that.

(All compare the actors threads will be merged into this one in the future)

Last edited:

Mr Unstable

Banned
Reaction score
Who is the Better Actor? Hanks or Depp?

Who is the better actor? Tom Hanks of Johnny Depp?

I love them both, but I will have to go with Tom Hanks. I would say that he makes his separation because the characters he has played have had more impact. (in my opinion)

Forrest Gump, Andrew Beckett, Josh from Big, and even as the FBI agent in Catch Me If you Can - these performances I considered as truly powerful, and they actually stayed on my mind for a few days after the credits had scrolled.

I love Johnny Depp, but overall his characters haven't been branded into my brain the way that Tom Hanks has been able to do.

Elle

Merely drifting
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else remember those animated "Celebrity Death Match" cartoons?

Yes. I was probably too young to watch something so gory, but I thought it was great.

Tom Hanks. Johnny Depp bores me.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I vote for Tom Hanks because of that movie with the mermaid. Brilliant thespian.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really like both of them. They're both amazing actors.

But Hanks is best. :D

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Johnny Depp is not only a better actor, but is in that rarified air of actors that will be called a Classic by the time his career is finished. Hanks on the other hand, while a durable sort of actor, is pretty much done as far as his career is concerned, other than a Toy Story V.O. Depp will be producing blockbusters for years to come.

I would argue that Johnny Depp is a better character actor than either Hoffman or De Niro in the other thread.

Pirate, Gangster, Freak of nature, (sissorhands) Cocaine addict, Undercover detective, (jump street) Murderous Musically Gifted Barber, (seville). Gilbert Grape, to mention a few... A level onto himself, sorry Hanks ain't even on the same playing field.

Maybe Johnny's best role, was that of the creator of Peter Pan.....

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Johnny Depp is not only a better actor, but is in that rarified air of actors that will be called a Classic by the time his career is finished. ...

I would argue that Johnny Depp is a better character actor than either Hoffman or De Niro in the other thread.

Pirate, Gangster, Freak of nature, (sissorhands) Cocaine addict, Undercover detective, (jump street) Murderous Musically Gifted Barber, (seville). Gilbert Grape, to mention a few... A level onto himself, sorry Hanks ain't even on the same playing field.

Agreed. I think its Johnny Depp, and its not even close.

Granted, I love Hanks, he is an amazing actor who has made some simply brilliant films.

But i've watched many Johnny Depp films and completely forgot it was Johnny Depp. His range is out of this freaking solar system and he has more gravity than a black hole.

This contest is like trying to determine which is heavier, Mt. Fuji or Mt. Everest.

Truth is, they are both so heavy as to be meaningless. But, if you were to have a cosmic scale, you'd see that Mt. Everest dwarfs Mt. Fuji.

That is how I regard this. Hanks is phenomenal, but Depp is in his own class IMO.

Mel...

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who was the better actor? Vic Tayback or Sebastian Cabot?

Well, how about it... Mel "Stow it, Flo!" from Alice, or Mr. French from Family Affair?

For me, Tayback's got the catch phrase, but Cabot's got the gravitas.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Struggling to remember either one...I know I saw both shows. :tongue

It's so unfair to make me choose between these two fine actors. LOL

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Understood! I was going to compare Thing 1 and Thing 2 from Cat in the Hat, but that would've been just silly.