I think I can take a breath-

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
About three weeks ago I found one of my horses down- she is a miniture horse named Ginger and is only about seven years old- She has not been well for maybe two weeks before this- Vet thought maybe she had lymes disease but tests came back negative- she was having neurological S/S - staggering, listlessness, not wanting to move-

One of our big horses came down with EPM (equine parasytic mylo-encephalitis) last year and miraculously survived- this is a very rare parasytic infestation that attacks the central nervous system and can be fatal more times than not-

Once Dakota survived we thought- whew! bullet dodged- but as soon as Ginger got sick we both thought- epm-

It took three weeks for the vet to agree with us (granted to diagnoses is hit or miss- they just don't know enough about it)

We started her on the med- someone I work with had a horse who died from EPM last summer when Dakota was diagnosed and she still had the med- it is insanely expensive and takes about 2 weeks to get it once ordered- we were lucky- she lived closed, got the med that day and started Ginger on it- we are three weeks into a eight week treatment and I see definite improvement- she is out grazing and seems interested in her environment again- still staggers, and can't run but better- I think she may be turning a corner- two weeks ago I was sure she was going to die-

One day at a time- but it looks good today-

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Yes it does and thank you! Two horses with it just isn't fair!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Prayers for her! I'm so glad you knew about it.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Poor horsies! Poor you! Big hugs! I hope they're both healthy as... uh... horses... really soon.

(Now are you going to name a character in a book after Ginger, too? Cause if I were Ginger I'd be a bit miffed. Just sayin'.)

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Poor horsies! Poor you! Big hugs! I hope they're both healthy as... uh... horses... really soon.

(Now are you going to name a character in a book after Ginger, too? Cause if I were Ginger I'd be a bit miffed. Just sayin'.)
LOL- I know- My horse's full registered name is Dakota Rain too- Hahahaha! I love my horses (for everyone else- my character's named after my horse-)