PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Writers! A Relief Project?

Pages : [1] 2 3

JennaGlatzer
09-02-2005, 03:20 AM
UPDATE: If you're looking for the submission guidelines, they're here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=314599&postcount=46

---

So I was thinking about what we could do, as a group, to help with the relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina victims.

I thought about Uncle Jim and how he's raised a few hundred dollars for the SFWA's medical emergency funds with Atlanta Nights, and thought-- hey-- we could do something similar, but with actual good writing.

The thought is:

An anthology, which we can release through Lulu at no cost.

We donate 100% of the proceeds to the Red Cross.

Open call-- anyone can participate. If we limit submissions to about 1000 words, then 50-75 writers could easily join in.

Now, the theme...

I've had a few thoughts on what the theme of the anthology could be. My first thought was humor, but then I thought, "Well, is that really appropriate, considering the book will be used for disaster relief?" My second thought was "Stories of Hope." Cheesy title, but a more appropriate theme. Could encompass personal stories of overcoming difficult odds, or inspirational messages in general. Third thought: flash fiction. Fourth thought: "What gives my life meaning."

Anyone have better thoughts? This is not a "bookstore book"-- if we go through Lulu (and I think we should, to get it out quickly), it'll be sold primarily online, and we'd need people to link to it on their sites, blogs, etc. to draw attention to it.

What we'd need, in addition to submissions:

-One volunteer to put out the call for submissions on several sites.

-Two-three editors to go through the submissions and do developmental editing

-One-two copy editors

-As many volunteers as possible to spread the word after the book is released.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Richard
09-02-2005, 03:24 AM
I'm in, if the theme's doable.

Unique
09-02-2005, 03:25 AM
I think it's a great idea, Jenna. I'll volunteer for any job you'd have me to do.

WriteRead
09-02-2005, 03:42 AM
Count me in for whatever theme it would be. Just holler and I start writing.

The Finger-on-the-Keyboard Dan

Carole
09-02-2005, 03:50 AM
Fourth thought: "What gives my life meaning."

LOVE it!

Sheryl Nantus
09-02-2005, 04:35 AM
me in.

use me as you see fit... I'll even staple papers here at home!

ChunkyC
09-02-2005, 04:43 AM
Count me in, Jenna.

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
09-02-2005, 04:48 AM
I'd submit to any of those themes and I'll help out in anyother way that I can.

MadScientistMatt
09-02-2005, 05:43 AM
I definitely want to help. I could submit something, but I'm not sure that I'm qualified to do any editing.

JennaGlatzer
09-02-2005, 05:56 AM
Bless you gorgeous people. :)

What do you all think of the themes? I'd love to get that decided ASAP so we can move on this.

WriteRead
09-02-2005, 06:02 AM
I don't think. Just tell me what it is. It will be just like another writing prompt, which I myself don't need, really.

Dan

Andrew Dugan
09-02-2005, 06:08 AM
My acting class (and "improv troupe") is going to perform a play, do an evening of improvisation, and set up a school-wide talent show, with all money going to New Orleans and Biloxi.

I'm definitely in the mood to help.

One thousand words may be hard to limit myself to, but that's all right.

As far as the theme goes? "Stories of hope" sounds decent. I'd be fine with it. :)

EDIT: I'm going to circulate this idea around my school, too, to either get the writers I know to join this one or to start a more regional anthology.

Great idea, Jenna.

WVWriterGirl
09-02-2005, 06:16 AM
I'm in. Gimme the theme and I'll do what I can.

Perhaps we could use our expertise to compile several short articles to intersperse with the theme of "stories of hope" to help with disaster preparadness? I know Brady's a fireman, and we have several people with military experience, all who would know what to do in case of an emergency. Nothing specific, just short, general how-tos for like, a house fire, a medical emergency, car accident, major snow storm, flood, tornadoes and hurricanes, earthquakes - that way, we're helping in more ways than one. Empower those who can use the knowledge, further the knowledge of the ones with a good idea.

Just a thought...

WVWG

JennaGlatzer
09-02-2005, 06:32 AM
I think that's an excellent idea.

Vanessa
09-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Excellent idea Jenna,

I tossed around with a few theme suggestions or titles so-to-speak.

Inspired Confessions - Certain conditions and situations which leave us in some sort of predicament, which inspires us to write about it and tell-all about it, with the hopes of motivating and enriching life after sorrow. Happy stories that create smiles after the sadness.

Hearts of Hope - Basically self-explanatory.

Dreams of Laughter - true stories of pain, sorrow and wreckage, but through hope, faith and endurance, and a bit of encouragement, one prevails. One conquers, even if it's just getting through it.

Oh, by the way, I'm all in. Whatever it takes, I'm willing to help out. I'll make the time for this well deserved cause.

Eveningsdawn
09-02-2005, 06:54 AM
I think I'd be in. I rather like "What gives my life meaning."

maestrowork
09-02-2005, 07:09 AM
I'll be glad to participate.

MacAllister
09-02-2005, 07:12 AM
Jenna, I'm in. I'll be happy to first-read subs, edit, or help with any of the other pieces where you need warm bodies. I can help post a call for subs on other boards, too, when we get the guidelines nailed down.

maestrowork
09-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Depending on the number of writers, maybe we can have multiple themes: hope, perseverence, laughter, etc.

I'll put the info and spread the words in my blogs and site and also help with page layout or cover design. I also have Acrobat so I can turn the ms. into PDF file for Lulu.

akelsey333
09-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Great idea, Jenna!

I'm currently editing an anthology of stories on chronic illnesses, so if you can use me as an editor, please let me know.

Cassie88
09-02-2005, 07:46 AM
I'm happy to participate ... I think the book should incorporate a number of themes.... after watching this horror for the last two hours, a book with just pieces on "hope" ...well, it doesn't seem enough.. or the right response to what's happening... I'm not articulating this correctly... I'm too shocked and I feel too many emotions right now.

Alphabet
09-02-2005, 08:25 AM
I kind of agree with the 'multiple themes' and with the 'hope by itself doesn't quite seem appropriate somehow' comments.

I thought the theme of 'resilience' was one to consider, which kind of encompasses hope but is broader and sturdier. Incidentally, it also encompasses 'What gives my life meaning' too.

As for whether I would be able to contribute - I'll do my best but since I've never written a story, article, or personal essay before it might be tough.

Once the theme is decided I'll think meditatively on it and see what comes up. Regardless of whether I can contribute I do promise to buy it and to try and promote it.

Sara Rachael Hope
09-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Dear Jenna,
I'd be most happy to help, in any way I can.
First I must inform you that I do have a public non-profit organization called Recovery Relief, Inc., and the main 'vision' is to freely give away food and shelter items (that otherwise would have been thrown away) to the needy. Imagine that! It's not necessarily 'the american and/or our world's way' yet would be nice, don't you think?
Over the past few years, I myself have given away over $4 million in food and shelter items (with great help from volunteers). Unfortunately a lot of people took just because it was free and some of the best food btw!
It saddens me that there are stores, bakeries and supermarkets in my city alone, that probably could have fed and clothed (and housed) most of the people in New Orleans today...just from what has been thrown out here in this city and outlying areas today!
Of course, over the past few years I haven't had the capacity to build the organization alone by myself, and form a firm foundation for it, yet I can't even begin to list all the United Way agencies, foodbanks (that are mostly run for profit and only within certain geographical locals and btw, they are almost all listed as 'non-profit), group homes, communities, churches and various as well as sometimes, specific individuals who have and still are profiting from it.
I am only 1 person though...and I can do anything. Yet I can't do everything!
The RR vision embraces a concept where people and corporations freely (and preferably) give to give...24 hours/day and 7 days/week. And yes, I had to incorporate it because there are so many that will not give, unless it can be written off as a tax deduction! But that's okay, since the 'concept' is so proactive and vital for hopefully many generations (I like to think of at least 15 of them from now!) of inhabitants on this planet.
I wonder whether it would have been nice to get those 300 $100/meal dinners that would have been thrown out from that Smithsonian fundraising event for 3000 people, on a plane and dropped onto a boat there...
Or maybe the bread for 1000 people the local bakery is throwing out each night.
Maybe that little old lady up in the mountains who can't get out can have a 4X4 truck drop off some groceries. Maybe even someone at the post office would be willing to pick them up for her (or that baby who is dying and malnourished right here in downtown DC while everyone sleeps well tonight as her mother is being gang raped in the park just to get some crack dust...sorry, but it's a true story and I've witnessed it myself!).
Hmmm...
And by the way, it's not as if the people need $, since $ can't necessarily be eaten and keep them warm, clothed and covered. And did you know that in some cultures the people have to eat dirt to get enough minerals for their body's functioning capabilities? Sorry state the world is in yet it doesn't need to continue this way.
Maybe God/Creator is also a Mother/Create/er/ess?, and wants to nourish the Earth and all it's inhabitants (including all animals-even creepy crawlers and wingeds). I do hope so!, and I hope to see it in my lifetime on this planet. If not, it is quite a job/opportunity for the youth in this country (and world) to take on yet do they really know and understand that there is so much oil (for example) that runs within the Earth's veins and is being depleted?
Is life not worth something? And should there...need there be a 'cost'?
Just please let me know what I can do.
One of the directors of the largest foundations in DC once told me they wanted to 'fund' my company, and yet I never was able to write a complete proposal at the time (for many reasons). Yet it's basically about having the majority of funds donated going to pay for trucks and drivers (if there are none donated) and it would be nice if only 1/3 of the $ received in the Recovery Relief effort was going toward overhead. I know this is not how most companies and organizations run yet it is imperative for it to be streamlined, reliable, efficient and dependable. I've been told it is viable!
Of course, board members and officers of the corp would need to be set up, and it would be nice to have a web site and a 800-RECOVER #...and when there isn't a disaster such as this and of this magnitude (which Creator has created for probably good reason!), the effort goes into sending recovered items to such places as Indian reservations and small impoverished communities and the such. Our world has become so far from natural that balance has been upset and the artificial has begun to over-ride the basic Basic of Mother Nature!
I'm sure you'd agree that we throw away more than enough in this country to feed the whole world, yet companies are not 'set up' to be God/Creator's company, just mans' (unfortunately). It's as if "in money we trust and in God we may have faith". Sorry statement yet all too true even more so these days.
I'd like to help change that.
Any suggestions will be most helpful.
Thanks!, especially for allowing me to rant a bit.
Blessings,
Debbie

brokenfingers
09-02-2005, 09:05 AM
I'm in.

Believe it or not, I just now (within the past few hours) watched some of the stuff going on down in the Gulf States. I wasn't kidding when I said I don't really watch much TV.

Dawno
09-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Great idea, Jenna. Since I'm not a writer I'll do what I can to get the word out once there's a book and if there's need for other worker-bee stuff let me know.

JennaGlatzer
09-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Resilience. I like that.

The problem with multiple themes is... how do we describe the book? It needs a very simple explanation-- something people can read and know what the book is about in just a sentence or two.

I keep replaying in my mind that blonde woman who went back to see her house and found absolutely nothing there. She cried for just a second or two, then quickly said something along the lines of, "But we're alive, and material things can be replaced. If I can say that, standing here in 'my house,' anyone can."

Hmm.

How about Stories of Strength?

With any of these titles, I'd take the broadest interpretation, so there could be multiple sections within that theme... let's say we do go with Stories of Strength. We could have sections on...

1. Physical strength: e.g., running a marathon, recovering from a car accident, climbing a mountain.

2. Spiritual strength: Finding faith even when the situation looks grim.

3. Borrowing strength: When a friend helped you through a trying time, when a community came together to help a family, etc.

4. Role models of strength: Stories of people you admire for their resilience.

5. The strength to start over: Stories about building a new life after alcoholism, drug addiction, divorce, death of a loved one, etc.

E.G. Gammon
09-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Jenna, you truely are the heart of this board. It sounds like a wonderful idea. Once the final theme is settled on (I think Stories of Strength sounds PERFECT), I'll make time to submit something to the project.

KTC
09-02-2005, 02:05 PM
You're a wonderful heart, Jenna. Great idea. I'm in. I love your idea for a breakdown of types of stories of strength too. Seems like that would offer a wide scope for writers. Thanks for doing this.

Carole
09-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I keep replaying in my mind that blonde woman who went back to see her house and found absolutely nothing there. She cried for just a second or two, then quickly said something along the lines of, "But we're alive, and material things can be replaced. If I can say that, standing here in 'my house,' anyone can."

Yes! And another...A woman with her son and daughter who lost their home. This woman is determined and she told the reporter that they are down but not out. She had her son shimmy up a tree to hang an American flag over their demolished home in Mississippi.

I love the topic of strength.

KTC
09-02-2005, 03:04 PM
My mind keeps going back to an interview of an air boat driver I saw yesterday on CNN. As the interview was being carried out, an elderly woman started calling out for help from the second story of a partially submerged house. When the boat driver and the interviewer began speaking to her she said, I'm okay, come back for me. There are three women with young children in the house beside me. Take them. I think I may have been overwhelmed by then, but that gesture just blew me away. The woman sounded like the definition of weakness and frailty...yet she was calling out to get help for her young neighbors. It broke my heart.

09-02-2005, 03:57 PM
I think Ray was spot-on with having multiple themes, because about 50-70 short pieces on one sort of story could be overwhelming for the reader (perhaps not in the good way).
I believe that the 'stories of strength' opens it up rather beautifully, allowing us to have so many different types of story that the reader wouldn't get a feeling of dejavu all the time.
the only problem I can see coming from this is that we may end up with 50 odd stories on 'the strength to start over' and 4 on 'physical strength'. To prevent this rather than cure it we could all put forward the basic plot of what we want to submit and then a committee (sounds a bit fancy-like, but basically I meant JG) would try to weigh things out.
If people had multiple stories they wanted to submit, then they should to give us the best chance of 'balance'.
?

Vanessa
09-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Jenna, you truely are the heart of this board. It sounds like a wonderful idea. Once the final theme is settled on (I think Stories of Strength sounds PERFECT), I'll make time to submit something to the project.

I agree Jenna, I like the various stories of strength.

Sara Rachael Hope
09-02-2005, 04:32 PM
I agree with what Nique has stated above, and I feel major consideration needs to be paid to it, since it's 'right on the mark'!

I am wondering whether it will become something like a 'Chicken Soup' book, and whether those now suffering, will have the ability and/or time and capacity to read it and hopefully benefit from it...
Perhaps if it expresses something like 'All Is Okay' those experiencing disaster now will not feel as though they need to gather more strength (and begin to think and feel as if it's already available-no matter what!).
It's one thing to accept your house has burned and all belongings are gone. It's another to have a child dying in your arms and not have the ability to do anything about it and seeing dead and dis-eased people all around you and rapes occuring. Don't you think?
I wonder how many are illiterate as well as how and where/when it can be distributed...
Perhaps the book can become a silver lining (if you know what I mean!).

MadScientistMatt
09-02-2005, 04:32 PM
I'd submit something even if the theme was taken from the Worst Writing Prompts Ever thread, but Stories of Strength sounds like an excellent theme. I've already got an idea of what mine might be.

09-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I have with me a copy of the Paul Auster edited True Tales of American Life.

They have split it into several different sections - objects, animals, strangers, families etc.

But what I particularly like is that some stories are very short, such as the chicken, which is only one small paragraph. Others are five to sixe pages. It seems to depend on the story, and what it merits. If one of us puts forward a story that we think would work in 250 words, I think we should be able to, and if one story would work even better with a little more, then why not?

Unique
09-02-2005, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=Sara Rachael Hope]I agree with what Nique has stated above, and I feel major consideration needs to be paid to it, since it's 'right on the mark'!

and whether those now suffering, will have the ability and/or time and capacity to read it and hopefully benefit from it...
QUOTE]

It was my impression that the funds from the sale of this book would go to the people of New Orleans, not necessarily the book itself.

GPatten
09-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Shoot to kill order has been given.

Maybe we can sponsor a round or two to help those that were affected by the looters? :mad:

$100.00 for a .308 round, $250.00 for a a few 50 caliber round etc.

Richard
09-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Don't worry, Snake Plissken has been contacted. They're just preparing the Mullet.

Paint
09-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Count me in Jenna. Just let me know what, when and how. I like the Strength theme, also Disaster Preparedness. I came to work thinking what can I do? Found this site. My answer. I'm ready, just say the word!

God bless them all and keep them safe!
Paint

ChunkyC
09-02-2005, 07:08 PM
I too like Stories of Strength as an overall theme. Under that umbrella, we can have a wide range of tales, both fact and fiction. I get the feeling that once we get the 'go' from Jenna, we'll get plenty of material to choose from and will be able to put together a very broad and balanced book.

Beyond that will be the effort to sell it. I'm thinking I can approach the local bookstores in my area about at least advertising its existence and how people can order it. Since I write a column in my local papers, I have a certain visibility in the area communities and I'll use that as much as I can to get the word out. I'll speak to my editor as well and see what the papers are willing to do. Any of the rest of us who are something of a known quantity in our communities could do something similar.

clintl
09-02-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm in, whatever the theme turns out to be.

JAlpha
09-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Great idea!

Possible theme--Prepare

I'd love to be involved in the content editing for the flash fiction and poetry submissions.

maestrowork
09-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Whatever we do, we should do it quickly.

So, get moving and write now... while Jenna finalizes the details.

E.G. Gammon
09-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Hey! I know the owner of a popular weekly newspaper from Oakland, Maryland who would probably let me write a small article, promoting the book and its cause, if I asked him to. He's printed a September 11th flag I designed and a poem I wrote about my father's Cancer, before, so I'm pretty sure he would help us promote the book once it's all finished. I'll have to email him to get things going...

[EDIT: I plan to write my short story about the loss of a father, the effect it has on a family, and the struggle the family goes through to heal. I just thought I would throw that out there, so we all can have a variety of stories written for the book.]

Christine N.
09-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey Jenna,
I don't usually do stories like that. My head is pounding (allergies) so nothing pops into my head. But I'll gladly donate copyediting services.

If I come up with something I'll submit.

They got me today - I saw a story of a man who stayed behind with his family, to protect his restaurant. He was afraid his wife and eight year old daughter were going to be raped. That's horrid, but it's happening (yeah, I thought of Snake Plissken too). Anyway, he tried for days to siphon gas from cars and find a battery. Finally a cop gave him one of his guns and told them "Run. As fast and as far as you can - run for your lives."
For the first time since this started, I cried.

I'll put out links too.. I'm on a couple of boards, and my personal website. If you want, I'll even take copies to the book fair I'm going to on Oct. 1. They'll still need money by then.

Let me know what I can do.

JennaGlatzer
09-02-2005, 09:13 PM
OKAY! Here's the official call for submissions. Please do spread the word!

Call for Submissions: Stories of Strength

Those who’ve been affected by Hurricane Katrina will need our help for years to come. This is one way writers can help in an ongoing way.

Stories of Strength will be an anthology of essays, poems, and stories produced by the members of AbsoluteWrite.com, with 100% of the proceeds to be donated to the Red Cross for disaster relief. It will be released in paperback by Lulu, with a possible e-book version as well.

Writers are asked to participate by donating work to this anthology.

Reprints and simultaneous submissions are fine. Please do not submit more than two pieces.

The stories are meant to be uplifting. They may be humorous, dramatic, or inspirational; they may be nonfiction or fiction. Please avoid expletives—this is a PG-rated book.

Possible sections include:

1. Physical strength: e.g., running a marathon, recovering from a car accident, climbing a mountain.

2. Strength of spirit: Finding faith even when the situation looks grim.

3. Borrowing strength: When a friend helped you through a trying time, when a community came together to help a family, etc.

5. The strength to start over: Stories about building a new life after alcoholism, drug addiction, divorce, death of a loved one, etc.

We would also appreciate tips sheets related to emergency preparations for natural disasters.

-What to do in case of a fire
-What to do in case of a hurricane
-What belongs in an emergency kit
-Etc.

It’s okay if your idea doesn’t fit neatly into one of these sections.

We prefer submissions to be a maximum of 1200 words, but this is not a hard cut-off. (We will absolutely not accept anything beyond 2000 words.) Shorter stories and poems are welcomed.

You retain the rights to your work; all we require is one-time anthology rights.

Please send your work in the body of an e-mail to (Ms.) Macallister Stone at macallisterstone @ yahoo.com and be sure to put the word STRENGTH in the subject line.

You may also include a short (35 words or fewer) bio with your submission.

The deadline is not firm and will depend on the volume of submissions, but we’d like to receive submissions by Friday, September 16th.

To follow the progress of this project, please visit http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18397 (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18397) .

Thank you,
Jenna Glatzer
Editor-in-chief
AbsoluteWrite.com

WriteRead
09-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Okay, I start pianoing on the keyboard! I intend to submit a poem and a story, but that may change according to what I may feel the right pieces are. Sept. the 15th is my deadline.

It goes w/o saying that I'll spread the word in whatever possible way.

Dan

JennaGlatzer
09-02-2005, 11:24 PM
We've already received our first two submissions. :Clap:

I just registered the domain www.storiesofstrength.com (http://www.storiesofstrength.com) on E.G. Gammon's suggestion, and for now it'll point to a page on my site where I have the call for submissions. Later, I'll probably just have it point straight to Lulu's page, but that'll be a handy address to use!

ChunkyC
09-02-2005, 11:24 PM
The marching orders are in, gang. I know you'll all do AW proud.

PS -- you guys write fast!!

Cabria
09-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Jenna,

This is a wonderful gesture. I write a lot of inspirational type prose for BMA so I will work on writing some new poems to submit to this project in aid of the cause.

Deb :)

awatkins
09-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Just now sent something in, Jenna. This is a wonderful idea. :)

Come on, everybody, let's use our talents to help our friends and neighbors in need!

Azure Skye
09-03-2005, 12:32 AM
If I can't submit something I'd like to offer my very inexperienced services in some way.

Paint
09-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Azura, we need everybody! Thank you.

Okay, it's on my blog...http://www.scpbp.blogspot.com This is how it works I guess, each do their own thing. I have to get back to work now, writing furiously.

JennaGlatzer
09-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Thanks, Paint! Mac is forwarding me the submissions that she approves, and *wow*... we may need to do two volumes! :)

It would be a great idea if people want to give an idea here of what they're going to write about, so we can make sure we don't have lots of stories on the same basic subject.

In your submission, I'd also appreciate it if you'd mention what section you think it would belong in (or suggest a new section if not one of the ones I already noted).

I'm really excited about the response already. I think we're going to do a lot of good with this! I'm going to search for some government-commissioned (public domain) tip sheets on disaster preparedness...

OneTeam OneDream
09-03-2005, 01:33 AM
Along with submitting, I can get the word out to a couple of 100,000+ circulation newspapers. One of them is on the east coast, and one of them is in the midwest.

aspier
09-03-2005, 01:42 AM
So I was thinking about what we could do, as a group, to help with the relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina victims.

I thought about Uncle Jim and how he's raised a few hundred dollars for the SFWA's medical emergency funds with Atlanta Nights, and thought-- hey-- we could do something similar, but with actual good writing.

The thought is:

An anthology, which we can release through Lulu at no cost.

We donate 100% of the proceeds to the Red Cross.

Open call-- anyone can participate. If we limit submissions to about 1000 words, then 50-75 writers could easily join in.

Now, the theme...

I've had a few thoughts on what the theme of the anthology could be. My first thought was humor, but then I thought, "Well, is that really appropriate, considering the book will be used for disaster relief?" My second thought was "Stories of Hope." Cheesy title, but a more appropriate theme. Could encompass personal stories of overcoming difficult odds, or inspirational messages in general. Third thought: flash fiction. Fourth thought: "What gives my life meaning."

Anyone have better thoughts? This is not a "bookstore book"-- if we go through Lulu (and I think we should, to get it out quickly), it'll be sold primarily online, and we'd need people to link to it on their sites, blogs, etc. to draw attention to it.

What we'd need, in addition to submissions:

-One volunteer to put out the call for submissions on several sites.

-Two-three editors to go through the submissions and do developmental editing

-One-two copy editors

-As many volunteers as possible to spread the word after the book is released.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I volunteer as editor re poetry (=sub). I haven't followed the thread post by post. Can somebody give a kind of breakdown re what and how far and when end date?

I also have some material but need to know end theme.

Plus I might have the right cover pic for the dust cover. Who is main manager (=coordinator)? You, Jenna? Or?

aspier

OneTeam OneDream
09-03-2005, 01:58 AM
Along with submitting, I can get the word out to a couple of 100,000+ circulation newspapers. One of them is on the east coast, and one of them is in the midwest.

Make that as of now, 5 total newspapers

2 with 100,000+ circulation

2 with 15,000 circulation

1 with 8500 circulation.

And its a done deal. Once the book gets completed and on the site, I will send them the information, and they assured me it will be mentioned.

mdin
09-03-2005, 02:09 AM
I'm going to search for some government-commissioned (public domain) tip sheets on disaster preparedness...

I'm sure you've found it already, but if not:

http://www.ready.gov/

rhymegirl
09-03-2005, 02:25 AM
I would like to participate, too, Jenna. I think this is a great way for writers to help.

mrs75
09-03-2005, 02:46 AM
Jenna,

I am in as well. I will be glad to submit a story when I find out the theme you're going with, and I will also do the following:

Send out press releases in the Southern Illinois area
Post information on my website
When the book begins taking shape I'll help with it in anyway I can too
Just discuss the areas you need help in and I'll be glad to give my time to the project.

I'll subscribe to this thread to keep watching for more information. Please send me a PM when you're ready so I can get information to help advertise and etc... I have over 5 year experience in Sales & Marketing. Please keep me up to date, and let me know where to send submissions, and the submission guidelines.

Christine N.
09-03-2005, 03:40 AM
Yeah, if someone makes up a standard press release, I'll see that it gets to all the papers in my area. I'm terrible at writing those, plus I think it would be a good idea if they all were the same.

AmyBA
09-03-2005, 04:07 AM
Just wanted to jump in and say I'm in, too-- for whatever's needed on this project!

JennaGlatzer
09-03-2005, 04:08 AM
Thanks so much! The guidelines are already posted, Misti-- they're here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=314599&postcount=46

As far as a press release goes, hang on, because we'll need to give ordering information, and I won't have those details until the manuscript is complete. We're going to edit as we go along, so I'm hoping to have the entire book finished by about Sept. 20th and ready for sale within a few days of that. :)

I have another interesting couple of ideas for writing-related things we can all do...

First idea is:

Personalized poems, auctioned on eBay through GivingWorks. Just a few bucks each-- the bidder tells us what the poem is for (love, happy birthday, etc.) and whether they want rhyming or non-rhyming, and one (or more) of us send poems. :) EBay sends the money straight to our charity of choice, so we don't even have to handle that.

The other ideas need more hatching, so I'll explain later.

JennaGlatzer
09-03-2005, 04:26 AM
Rats. Did some investigating on eBay and the minimum donation on each item is $10, plus they still charge you insertion fees and final fees, even though they donate that money to the charity, too. Then MissionFish takes $2 from it for their expenses. Maybe not the best idea...

OneTeam OneDream
09-03-2005, 04:37 AM
Rats. Did some investigating on eBay and the minimum donation on each item is $10, plus they still charge you insertion fees and final fees, even though they donate that money to the charity, too. Then MissionFish takes $2 from it for their expenses. Maybe not the best idea...

Give it time, I bet ebay will have something with a no fee/ Katrina donation type section for listings.

JennaGlatzer
09-03-2005, 04:37 AM
OH! And one more note: I'm going away tomorrow and Sunday, so don't think I'm neglecting you... I'll be at my cousin's wedding. Back on Monday!

Jenny
09-03-2005, 04:39 AM
Sent in my story. A retake on a fairy tale, about sharing strength and what it means to be a hero. Glad I could contribute. Thanks, Jenna.

Jenny

mrs75
09-03-2005, 05:16 AM
I'm terrible at writing those, plus I think it would be a good idea if they all were the same.
Yes, great idea, the same release. If possible the person who chooses to write the release could post it here for every one that is willing to use it for advertising purposes. And then, another idea, those of us who advertise could list some of the sources we advertised in, or at least the areas that we covered.

The guidelines are already posted, Misti-- they're here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=46
Thanks for that info, I did find these after posting the message :)

As far as a press release goes, hang on, because we'll need to give ordering information, and I won't have those details until the manuscript is complete.
Do you think a press release for submissions would be a good thing too or not?

I'll keep my eye out here for new information. Again, I do have over 5 years experience in marketing and sales so if there is anything I can do in this area please let me know - PM me or e-mail me if you like. My e-mail is msks04 @ shawneelink. net (omit the spaces). I :Clap: your idea

scullars
09-03-2005, 05:22 AM
If you haven't reached your quota, count me in.

WriteRead
09-03-2005, 05:36 AM
When the press release is ready, I will send it to the main SW FL newspaper, quite a big readership.

Dan

Alphabet
09-03-2005, 10:49 AM
I've got a piece in progress, I'm just trying to make it the best it can be before submitting it - well, no, that's wrong - I'm just trying to make it the best I am able to make it (with help from JAlpha - thanks JAlpha).

What is it? I like to think of it as a poetic meditation but I suppose it is going to be judged as a poem, so hopefully it will also appear to be a good poem too.

The title of it is 'Trials of the moment' and if I try and define it more closely it is about finding strength and faith to face the future from the confidence gained by past experiences.

It is actually something I had already written but it just seems so appropriate to the current event and to the aim of the proposed anthology. It was in keeping for a far-future possible collection and so I thought I had years in which to hone it - I'm now trying to cram that process into days.

maestrowork
09-03-2005, 10:54 AM
When the press release is done, let us know. I will be able to send to a dozen papers here, including three metro areas.

paprikapink
09-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Jenna, this will help so many people, including us. Knowing what's happening since Katrina can make us all feel so helpless and sad and angry and overwhelmed and despairing -- whoa, i'm getting carried away. Except that it is all true.

Contributing to this project is a chance to scream IT'S NOT ALL BAD! WE AREN'T ALL MONSTERS! THERE IS STILL GOOD IN THE WORLD! and possibly even be heard.

At least, that's what it feels like to me.

MacAllister
09-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Keep the submissions coming, folks! We won't close subs until September 16th--and Jenna said there was a little bit of flex around that date, too. I'm so overwhelmed and pleased at the high quality and professionalism of the submissions already received.

Thank you so much.

aspier
09-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Talk of press release - release of what? So far, all one gets from this thread is the impression that here's a lot of goodwill and sufficient brainstorming. Press releases are very to the point 'things'. The 'whats' and 'whens' got to be in there. You can do a press release only once, etc. So mm its precarious. Needs a clear brain.

Brainstorming: The way I get it, is that we are compiling some sort of publication? No? Will it be a digital publication and then the file get flogged on the web? Frow what platform? Got a program to collect the money? A bookkeeper? Things with the law ok? 'Where' do you sell? Only America? Or Japan and Europe too? Do they like this money rafflin,g on the web in Japan? Mmm in Irak?
Or is it going to be a 'real' book? Who is publishing it? 'Authors' (in this case 'Write People') cash in on that only some 10%. And that goes to who? The Mayor of New Orleans? What other help organization? Who is the 'publisher' that'll get the 90%?

How does the book look? Who is the designer? Cover? Blurb? Poetry? Prose?

Ok, I'm sure we can do it! But mmm we must take sure firm planned steps. The collection of work is but the minor of the issue. And proffessional or not you can have whatever you need from my work. Short story, poetry, etc. But I need some kind of main man to tell me what and how and when! (This is also what the press would want to know)

SUGGESTION

1. Title of book = Water shoes

The word water is in there. And shoes that's the cultural element. Shoes are made by man. Water by nature. Symbolically = walk on water = need lot of courage + hope to do that! Shoes = walking, keep on walking (not Jhonny Walker's type say!) Shoes=bracing feet, etc.

2. Frontpic dustcover = Picturers of Ora Odoura.

She has done beautiful artistic photo's of 'water shoes' (Some are on my site = http://users.skynet.be/spier/excerptsnougat.htm if you want to look) I am sure we can get her to agree using some of the pics - one or a series? I'll mail her re this today.)

3. I have a short prose piece of a kind of apocalypse. 2 Pages I think. It might be suitable. Then I got more poetry to fill it when fill up's needed. Say a digital publication can be a million pages long but that's really eh aah, you know such and so, no?

4. Jenna get a 'main man' who coordinates + start a new thread where only 'serious work talk' goes in. That is when this 'brainstorming' one is done. We pick some ideas from this one and work on it. And I suggest the 'main man' (or oeee 'main woman' maybe better) makes regular descicion summaries. Let him use blue. See lot of us are willing to help but we just haven't the time to re-browse something like 20 posts - no matter how good they are, etc.

Very good suggestion of yours it was! My god, 1 day and whoosh city gone!

aspier

ChunkyC
09-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Aspier -- and for those who haven't read through the whole thread:

This is going to be an anthology of stories written by members of the AW Water Cooler, printed and sold through Lulu.com

Do you think a press release for submissions would be a good thing too or not?
No need. It's an AW project, and as Jenna indicated, we're getting lots of submissions.

The press release being discussed is one that can be distributed by us to the local media in our own areas, and will advertize the availability and purpose of the book.

Keep 'em comin', gang!

09-03-2005, 06:46 PM
I spoke to my local media, but they are not really interested in this kind of thing - being in Nottingham England and all (oh well).

but I do know the daughter of nigel mccrery, although i think she hates me, but i could ask her to ask him to try and get mouth around town?

Robin Bayne
09-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Hi, I'm new here. Great idea--will send something this morning.

ChunkyC
09-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Just to add to what I said in my post above ... this is an AW project, but if anyone knows someone who is not currently a member and who wants to contribute, just get them to sign up and join in. Everyone who wants to help is welcome, of course.

Robin Bayne
09-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Just to add to what I said in my post above ... this is an AW project, but if anyone knows someone who is not currently a member and who wants to contribute, just get them to sign up and join in. Everyone who wants to help is welcome, of course.

I think you will get many submissions from non-AW writers--since I found the link on the Paperback Writer's blog this morning!

http://pbackwriter.blogspot.com

Jean Marie
09-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Jenna, this is awesome!! Wish I'd found this thread sooner, instead of spinning my wheels trying to think of what the hay to do. No matter, I'm here now.

I'm going to work on something along the lines of finding faith. And odd as it sounds, humor in the face of disaster can be of help. My opinion is that's why God gave it to us.

I'll try and come up w/ some sort of preparedness kit as well. And, I'll spread the word as well as link the finished product to my web page.

Maryn
09-03-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm behind the curve as usual. We're packing up Kid Two for the (unhappy) move back to college. If there's need, I'm able to edit for spelling, punctuation, and grammar. (You'd never know it by my typing.) No changes to content, of course, just making it as error-free as I can.

Maryn, who writes v-e-r-y-----s--l--o---w----l------y

Christine N.
09-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Jenna did say she wanted the word spread to other boards. I posted it on my publishers messageboard. Don't know how many people from LBF will submit, but you'll get quality stuff. :)

Ken Schneider
09-03-2005, 10:26 PM
I would like to try writing something.

I like the idea of doing a story of my own experiences with regard to tough situations I've been in.

But, I haven't read the whole thread to see what theme was settled on.

Help. Thanks Jean Marie. for pointing me here.

Ken

Gabriele
09-03-2005, 11:30 PM
I think you will get many submissions from non-AW writers--since I found the link on the Paperback Writer's blog this morning!

http://pbackwriter.blogspot.com

I found it there and joined. I'll try to come up with a story (under 2000 words is a bit tricky for me, lol) and I'll also link to the anthology on my blog.

I wish I could do more.

Sparhawk
09-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Jenna,

I'm in. Just let me know what you need when you need it. I'll submit something as well.

Awesome idea.

-Sparhawk

Ken Schneider
09-04-2005, 12:23 AM
My story is finished, and sent to Mac.

paprikapink
09-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Is there a way to make this post sticky at the toppy of the thready so folks happening along now don't have to read all the way to post #42 before they get busy?

OKAY! Here's the official call for submissions. Please do spread the word!

Call for Submissions: Stories of Strength

Those who’ve been affected by Hurricane Katrina will need our help for years to come. This is one way writers can help in an ongoing way.

Stories of Strength will be an anthology of essays, poems, and stories produced by the members of AbsoluteWrite.com, with 100% of the proceeds to be donated to the Red Cross for disaster relief. It will be released in paperback by Lulu, with a possible e-book version as well.

Writers are asked to participate by donating work to this anthology.

Reprints and simultaneous submissions are fine. Please do not submit more than two pieces.

The stories are meant to be uplifting. They may be humorous, dramatic, or inspirational; they may be nonfiction or fiction. Please avoid expletives—this is a PG-rated book.

Possible sections include:

2. Strength of spirit: Finding faith even when the situation looks grim.

We would also appreciate tips sheets related to emergency preparations for natural disasters.

-What to do in case of a fire
-What to do in case of a hurricane
-What belongs in an emergency kit
-Etc.

It’s okay if your idea doesn’t fit neatly into one of these sections.

We prefer submissions to be a maximum of 1200 words, but this is not a hard cut-off. (We will absolutely not accept anything beyond 2000 words.) Shorter stories and poems are welcomed.

You retain the rights to your work; all we require is one-time anthology rights.

Please send your work in the body of an e-mail to (Ms.) Macallister Stone at macallisterstone @ yahoo.com and be sure to put the word STRENGTH in the subject line.

You may also include a short (35 words or fewer) bio with your submission.

The deadline is not firm and will depend on the volume of submissions, but we’d like to receive submissions by Friday, September 16th.

To follow the progress of this project, please visit http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18397 (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18397) .

Thank you,
Jenna Glatzer
Editor-in-chief
AbsoluteWrite.com

Ken Schneider
09-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Make that as of now, 5 total newspapers

2 with 100,000+ circulation

2 with 15,000 circulation

1 with 8500 circulation.

And its a done deal. Once the book gets completed and on the site, I will send them the information, and they assured me it will be mentioned.

I'll get it in three.

1. 15,000

1. 12,000

1. 30,000

If that helps.

KimJo
09-04-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm planning to try to write something under the theme of "Borrowed Strength". I'll also link to the anthology from my website and I'm willing to send press releases to the three newspapers in my area.

Birol
09-04-2005, 01:14 AM
I'm in.

jdkiggins
09-04-2005, 01:19 AM
I've cut my 2000+ word essay Perseverance down to less than 1500 words and sent it to Mac.

I'm also working on something else to contribute.

When the press release is ready, I'll be happy to send it to all the newspapers in my area.

clintl
09-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Is there a way to make this post sticky at the toppy of the thready so folks happening along now don't have to read all the way to post #42 before they get busy?

Jenna also posted that in its thread in the Nonpaying Markets section.

mommie4a
09-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Fabulous idea. I'm in.

Christine N.
09-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Under 1,000 words. I guess that makes mine Flash fiction? I've never written anything so short, unless you count grocery lists.

It's on it's way, Mac. Hope it's good enough.

WriteRead
09-04-2005, 02:50 AM
Vestal mag calls flash the hardest, most diff short qriting form. I can understand why.

Dan

Vanessa
09-04-2005, 02:58 AM
I still have to put something together. My work brain is always on even when I'm here. I have a boatload of notes to write for a meeting on Monday. And some prep notes to do for the upcoming week. However, nothing will stop me from turning on the other side of the brain to get this project done. I'll be sending something soon. I talked with my family today and things are moving along. My family from New Orleans is still in Baton Rouge, waiting for when the city will let them back in to where they used to live. Everyone is in good spirits and blessed to be alive. This is certainly a great cause.

Alphabet
09-04-2005, 04:59 AM
I've just submitted mine.. its had a change of title since my previous post but probably still recognisable by the earlier description. I'd better get thinking now about what else to offer incase it isn't accepted.

btw I didn't declare my AW userid in the submission, were we supposed to? I thought if necessary that could be supplied on acceptance - for a seen-to-be-fairer process.

Cabinscribe
09-04-2005, 05:18 AM
I'll pitch in!

I'm trying to write something. If I don't succeed, maybe I can spread the word in my city when the press release comes out.

At the very least, I'll buy a copy of the book.

Pat Mullan
09-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Jenna,

I submitted my story, ELEVEN DAYS IN JULY ( it was in the July edition of the WPJ - did you read it?) and Mac has accepted it for inclusion in the anthology. It's already been published in Buffalo Spree magazine and in this year's July edition of The Writers Post Journal. It's about a terrifying eleven days in New York when my son had an accident and we discovered that he was a hemophiliac. But eleven days also that were full of the human spirit, the will to live, the care and attention of those in medicine and emegency services. A human drama.

I've been to New Orleans 3 times and I just love that city : from listening to the greats in Preservation Hall to drinking too many hurricanes in Pat O'Briens to feeling hip out in the clubs in Fat City.....memories. A lot of resonance for the Irish too: Jackson Square at the end of the French Quarter (named after President Andrew Jackson - the only President who might not have been born in the US - his family claimed that his mother delivered him in the Waxhaws as soon as they disembarked from the boat that brought them from Carrickfergus in County Antrim in Ireland - but there's many who say that he was actually born in Carrickfergus just before they departed!) ... and then there's the first submarine there, invented by the school teacher, John Phillip Holland, from County Clare in Ireland - the USS HOLLAND is named after him)..

I just can't believe that all the resources of America that I now see being used were not there within 24 to 48 hours! Totally baffling to me!

Best,
Pat.

--novelist Robert W. Walker, The Instinct and Edge Series

Christine N.
09-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi Pat! Glad you made it over here :) Hey, you got an acceptance? I didn't hear back from Mac....

Hey Mac, what's up with that? Just want to make sure you got my sub, not that I got accepted or not :)

MacAllister
09-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I still have about a half-dozen subs I haven't sent responses to. :) I'm also checking my spam filter regularly to be sure nothing gets inadvertantly zapped. Yep, Christine, I've got yours, too--and thanks!

OzFade
09-04-2005, 05:33 PM
I have a story that I'd love to send, although I don't think it really responds well to the theme you guys have running. It's a sweet short tale about an old caricature drawer who sees people’s inner beauty. It’s a tale that brings a smile to the reader’s face and brightens their day. Not really sure if it is what you’re looking for so I thought I would ask before sending it. Seems you have a lot of material to sort through as it is.

However I can still help. I have a fairly good rapport with the editor of a small newspaper here in Australia and if I ask he could run a small article about what the book is, what’s it for and how to get it. He’s a nice bloke and I’m pretty sure he would spread the word to all his contacts.

Everyone should contact their local paper and tell them about the project. I’m sure they would gladly print an article about it.

I will also link to the site in my blog.

Keep up the good work guys. It’s a great idea.

MacAllister
09-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Oz, send the story. :) I'd LOVE to see it.

Alphabet
09-04-2005, 05:46 PM
And :welcome:

Ken Schneider
09-04-2005, 06:31 PM
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif That is what it is all about OZ. How great it is for the world to come together for these things.

Robin Bayne
09-04-2005, 06:58 PM
The quickest response on writing I've ever received. :)

saraht
09-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Jenna, I would love to take part in the anthology. There is just one thing though, I've never written a short story in my life, maybe this will be a turning point for me. I love poetry, wonder if I can write a 1200 poem?

Violet

WriteRead
09-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Fastest acceptance, ever.

It was a poem, a requiem, written for the fallen soldiers of our wars in Israel, written in an upbeat and optimistic mood.

Thank you, Mac!

Dan

Sailor Kenshin
09-04-2005, 08:46 PM
I donated money directly to every relief org. I could sanction, including search and rescue dogs. I'm grateful to be able to do so.

Jean Marie
09-05-2005, 12:01 AM
I just sent you my sub along with an emergency preparedness kit. Hope you got it! Hey, I just got mine accepted too!!!

Wow, this is an amazing thing to be part of-Thanks Jenna & Mac!!!!

MacAllister
09-05-2005, 12:43 AM
saraht--it certainly doesn't have to be 1200 words. Several people have submitted poems.

We want very much to include everyone who wants to be a part of this effort, and we'll work really hard with anyone who needs a bit more polish, or trimming length, or whatever we can do to get people to participate.

There are a couple of pieces that I'm working with the writers on for some revisions--but overall, this project is a healing thing for the participants, too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, this isn't really a traditional acceptance/rejection situation--we want people to participate. We're gonna do our darnedest to make the writers look their absolute best, and make this anthology something we're all proud of, and proud to be a part of!

thanks everyone!
Mac

Bear
09-05-2005, 03:05 AM
Booshoo,

Hey, Pat Mullan sent this my way. I can donate a newspaper column or some such doo-dad. Let me know where to send and thanks for doing this.

Bear

Richard
09-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Whimsical 11pm idea sent. Had to be pretty quick because I'm up to my eyeballs in work at the moment and next week's not going to be an improvement, but hey-ho. All in a good cause and all that.

(Man, haven't done flashfic in so long - can't remember the last time I was trying to think up story ideas intended to last 1000 words instead of 100,000 ;-))

awatkins
09-05-2005, 03:45 AM
Just a reminder--pieces do not have to be fiction; nonfiction works, too, as long as it fits within the submission guidelines. Just mentioning this in case someone wants to submit but was afraid only fiction or poetry is acceptable. :)

Robin Bayne
09-05-2005, 03:48 AM
Just a reminder--pieces do not have to be fiction; nonfiction works, too, as long as it fits within the submission guidelines. Just mentioning this in case someone wants to submit but was afraid only fiction or poetry is acceptable. :)

LOL --I thought it was for non-fiction only. :banana:

awatkins
09-05-2005, 04:00 AM
:ROFL: Well, now all the bases should be covered. :D

09-05-2005, 04:21 AM
lol, i thought it was just non-fiction too!

erm, I may have a problem. I am desperate to add something to the mix. Its a true story of something that happened when I was 13. The thing is, I'm not used to writing things of such a length and especially since this is something close to me - I think I will struggle to make it good in anyway.
This is a call for help. It would be lovely if someone would read my piece and tell me, from a totally objective POV what needs to be ditched. I won't take it personally, sometimes its hard to believe it really happened!
Would anyone please help me help (?) ?

MacAllister
09-05-2005, 05:53 AM
Nicque, I'll help. Just write it, and send it to me. I read your blog. You're a good writer. You can do this.

Ken Schneider
09-05-2005, 06:04 AM
Nicque, I'll help. Just write it, and send it to me. I read your blog. You're a good writer. You can do this.

Nique, Don't worry, Mac said my story was the best impersonation of a Dick&Jane book see had ever read.

She is ever so supportive.http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

MacAllister
09-05-2005, 06:10 AM
Ken, you goofball. Your sub is just lovely and you darn well know it! :)

Shwebb
09-05-2005, 06:15 AM
We want very much to include everyone who wants to be a part of this effort, and we'll work really hard with anyone who needs a bit more polish, or trimming length, or whatever we can do to get people to participate.

I know, Mac, you said my non-fiction was fine, but I also don't mind if I don't make the final cut, if there is something better out there.

I will do whatever I can to publicize the book--and if my essay is in, then it will be easier to get the local papers to print something. They are always going for the local angle in a story. (And anything which shows a West Virginian is literate is a big plus.) ;)

I have a few questions:
1. Do we have a general idea of when the book will be ready?
2. Mac, how many submissions have you received so far?

WVWriterGirl
09-05-2005, 07:18 AM
Mac -

Forwarded my sub to you just a moment ago. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do, either with my own piece or otherwise.

Thanks, guys, for doing this. I can barely feed my own family, so I can't give money. I so wanted to do something, and you've given me the opportunity.

WVWG

rhymegirl
09-05-2005, 07:33 AM
How is the anthology coming along? Just curious.

Ken Schneider
09-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Ken, you goofball. Your sub is just lovely and you darn well know it! :)

See Mac run.

See Ken chase her.

See Mac pretend to fall and hurt her ankle, allowing Ken to catch her.

The Dick&Jane series sold 2.5 million the year Pearson publishing took it over in 1996, and reissued the book. More than 80, yes 80 million children used the book as a primer in the first grade. They didn't say in the article, but I would be willing to bet it sold 40 million copies.

That book sold more copies than any P.A. book. Way more. Thanks for the compliment Mac.

Disclaimer: Mac didn't really say that.
But, did fall and hurt her ankle allowing me to catch her.

MacAllister
09-05-2005, 07:45 AM
subs are open, so far, until September 16th.

I've gotten about 20 subs that were extremely clean, professional, and could be zapped right on up the pipeline.

I have a handful that need some formatting help, more than anything--:) That's just a function of different email interfaces, I imagine--so I'm doing goofy things like fixing apostrophes that look like chains of teeny-tiny elvish runes, instead of like apostrophes.

I have a handful that I'm working with the authors on minor tweaking things. :) Everyone is being really terrific--thank you all, so very much!

And I have another handful in my in-box, that I haven't read and responded to, yet--I was all caught up at one point, today.

So if you sent it this afternoon, you might not have heard back yet. If you sent me something yesterday or earlier, you should have a reply. If you have NOT heard back, and you sent me your piece this morning or earlier--please drop me a note!

We're getting quite a bit of poetry and short inspirational meditations. We've gotten some essays, and a couple of fiction pieces.

You people just rock. Thank you so very much.

JennaGlatzer
09-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Good point-- right now we're heavy on poetry and could use more essay-ish material, for anyone who hasn't started working yet.

And yes, I'm happy for anyone who wants to spread the word on submissions to do so. I'm glad Paperback Writer brought us some new friends! :)

aruna
09-05-2005, 10:37 AM
I'd like to be a part of it but I have great diffiuclty writing short stories in general, but especially when I'm in the middle of something else.
I'm wondering if it is poossible to contribute a chapter from my novel Of Marriageable Age. The chapter describes a devastating flood in a poor rural area in India, based on a personal experience. The main protagonist is a bit of a spoilt brat returned from London, but the devastation affects him so deeply that he goes out in the night and rescues an old leper woman he knows, who is stranded up in a tree. It's a chapter that could stand alone and really fits the theme. Would that be OK?

Alphabet
09-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Point of clarification please: Is it only one item accepted per submitor? I have a poetic meditation accepted but I've come up with an idea in a different style (article/personal essay / tip-sheet) and am wondering whether to try and perfect it into one of those categories in time for the deadline, or whether having one item already accepted means I shouldn't submit another.

I'd like to prepare it to submit for two reasons - one is that I really really think it is a good idea and should be included, and the other is that I've never written in any of these categories before and would love to benefit from professional assistance to turn this idea into a quality reality. I'm sure I would be able to take whatever I learnt from it on to good use in all the other article/essay ideas that till now I have been without the skill to implement adequately.

ChunkyC
09-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Hi Alphabet ... in the official submission guidelines Jenna posted, she asks that people send no more than two submissions. Go right ahead and send a second one if you have it.

BlueTexas
09-05-2005, 07:44 PM
I just found this thread. What a great idea! My little town is sheltering about 21 people at a campgound, and more are coming every day that won't fit in the Dallas/Ft Worth shelters.

My house burned to the ground when I was a teenager. I think I'll write something about starting over from that. I'll try to get it sent today.

Ken Schneider
09-05-2005, 07:51 PM
You know, Jenna, MacAllister, If I had some kind of cover Pic, or info that I could use to make a poster, I could take it with me to the Mid-west book fest And set it up on my table.

I think Dee Power is going too. Maybe she could set one up on her table as well?

Ken

Edit: Before Saturday September 17th.

aka eraser
09-05-2005, 08:16 PM
I just came across this thread now and love the idea. I'll send something to Mac and will be happy to trumpet the project in my column. I might be able to twist some media friends' arms and get them to plug it too.

Jenna, Mac - you two are aces! I feel a group hug coming on....

Gabriele
09-05-2005, 09:13 PM
I have written a story and run it by my crit partners this weekend. I'll work the feedback in and it should be ready Wednesday at latest.

2000 word upper limit is hard for me, I guessed that. ;)

jdkiggins
09-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Sent a second small essay and a separate e-mail listing safety procedures for disasters along with an emergency survival kit list.

ritinrider
09-06-2005, 05:17 AM
This is such a great idea Jenna and Mac you're awesome. I'll try to get something to you, of course I have to write it first. But like someone else said, sort of, if it's not up to the quality of writing you want for the book, don't hesitate to tell me thanks but no thanks. Also, I'll be happy to do whatever I can to promote the book here in Oklahoma, just let me know what you need.

Nita

mrs75
09-06-2005, 07:45 AM
I've just got to say, it makes me smile :) to see just how much effort writers here will put forth to help a good cause. I've been a member for a while now, and I've very much enjoyed it here - Honest feedback, friendly people, and some who will let you know you've made a mistake too (thanks for that; I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about from a recent past posting).

What is making me smile so much is reading through the posts here and seeing how many writers usually don't write short stories, but how much effort they are willing to try in order to help others :Clap: I know just how hard it can be to go out of your normal style of writing, but it is possible, and makes it worth while when you do it for a good cause.

I'm getting ready to write an essay to submit, and essays are not somthing I normally write, but because it was posted here that those are needed I'm more then happy to give it a shot as well. I'll be submitting my essay soon, and if anyone has any tips on writing essays please feel free to share them with me.

I'm also going to go ahead and ask. I'm not sure if my essays going to fit what is needed. From the guidelines I read, twice to be exact, I'm thinking it may, but am not sure. I'm going to tell how I survived 6 years of domestic violence. Is this somthing along the lines of what you're looking for? If not I will do something else.

JennaGlatzer
09-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Misti, that sounds like it would fit the theme!

Shwebb
09-06-2005, 09:27 PM
I was wondering if you need any more subs on disaster preparedness. If so, I can send you a how-to on putting together a portable kit that fits into a coffee can (I had one when I lived on a commune in the Canadian wilderness) or I can focus on one essential object and how to use that one object. Or I can do a how-to on more than one, if you need.

Alphabet
09-06-2005, 09:44 PM
My first ever article is almost ready to submit... but not quite!

Is there anyone who is experienced with presenting lists? The list part of the article needs, um, some presentation guidance. ;-)

Edit: Have had an offer of assistance, I think I ought to get an AW Rocks T-Shirt made!

Gabriele
09-07-2005, 01:40 AM
I just sent my contribution, a 1999 word (yay, I did manage it :) ) historical fiction short story:

The Sacrifice
by: Gabriele Campbell

Sarita
09-07-2005, 05:17 AM
Oh I'm so in! Jenna, you are wonderful. I'll work on something tomorrow between classes. And let me know if there's anything else I can do. I'll spread the word on campus (70,000 students, plus faculty and staff....) What else can I do, what else what else? :)

Love you guys.

AdamH
09-07-2005, 06:12 AM
How the heck did I miss this thread???? Oh, yeah, I was on vacation. 1200 words in 10 days? Count me in. Anything to help out! This is a brilliant idea! I'll try to hammer out something and send it off.

LieselGarmach
09-07-2005, 08:18 AM
My story was more on the lines of inner strength to overcome an obstacle, and the responses of those who witnessed the result. I used a child's perspective just to be a little different.

I'm completely open to reworking it if need be :)

If it's too different and shouldn't be included, I understand.

yellowscribe
09-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Wow, I'm in on this! I'm here in Houston, so I've been seeing the anger/sadness/depression of the evacuees first-hand. I'll be submitting my own personal story about when it flooded here in Houston (June 2001) and I lost everything I had but regained my faith in the goodness of people. Will search my files for the story and get it to you guys right away.

yellowscribe

Richard
09-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Out of interest, is anyone doing a cover yet? If so, I'd like to grab the art at some point to knock up a front-page advert splash for my site.

JennaGlatzer
09-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Rats! My response got eaten.

Richard, a couple of people here have offered to help with cover art (thanks, guys!), but I think I'm going to first approach a few professional cover artists to ask if they'd donate their services. They can't actually do it until I know the final page count of the book, though, because that'll affect the dimensions (spine width).

Yellowscribe, that sounds great.

I've also approached a number of famous authors to ask if they'd contribute. The only one to respond so far is Neil Gaiman, who wrote to wish us all good luck and said he wishes he could help, but is too busy with tour preparations right now. If any of you know any "name" authors, it would definitely help us to promote this book if they were involved. It's certainly easier to sell a book that says, "With stories by Stephen King and Anne Rice" on the cover!

Richard
09-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Isn't the spine just a plain colour with Lulu? (they may have changed it since I last looked)

JennaGlatzer
09-08-2005, 12:33 AM
You have the option of either having separate back and front covers with a blank spine, or designing the whole thing as one piece including a designed spine (which would be better, if we can get the book into any bookstores).

Sarita
09-08-2005, 12:38 AM
If any of you know any "name" authors, it would definitely help us to promote this book if they were involved. It's certainly easier to sell a book that says, "With stories by Stephen King and Anne Rice" on the cover! I'm going to try James Morrow. A good friend of mine does his web design/up keep.

Christine N.
09-08-2005, 12:47 AM
The cover thing is called a wrap, it's one big flat piece. The art director at my publisher made one up for my ARC's with the spine title and all.

Jenna, try Jennifer Weiner (www.jenniferweiner.com) and Tamora Pierce (www.tamorapierce.com). I've corresponded with both and they are very nice. They may be busy, Tammy's always going somewhere and Jennifer has a movie about one of her books (In Her Shoes) coming out next month, but you can ask!

And now I'm inspired to write another submission. Time to wrack the old brain.

meryl
09-08-2005, 03:23 AM
This is wonderful! I'm in the Dallas area and both of my children's schools have taken in students. The community has started many collections to help those who have come to Dallas. I just hope the help continues because supplies are going to be needed for MONTHS... not just for a month.

Trying to figure out which of four I should submit. Decisions! I suck at 'em and to think I'm a mother of three. Yikes! :)

Best,

Gabriele
09-08-2005, 03:41 AM
BTW, how long is the feedback time for submissions now?

I suppose they're piling up, eh? :)

Yeshanu
09-08-2005, 03:42 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only AW regular who just found this thread... (See Frank's post)

Mac, I'll send you one of my poems within the next couple of days, but I'll also mull the theme around in my head and try and come up with an essay or story.

Ken Schneider
09-08-2005, 03:43 AM
[QUOTE=JennaGlatzer]I've also approached a number of famous authors to ask if they'd contribute. QUOTE]

I've contacted a friend who has been a great help and support to me the last year or so. I hope she can write a story for the book.

NYT best selling romance novelist, Kat Martin. She's a great lady, and very nice.

I gave her the link here and explained what it was we are trying to do. I also gave her Mac's e-addy. She usually gets back to me pretty quick, and I asked her to do so either way.

JennaGlatzer
09-08-2005, 03:53 AM
I'm so thrilled with everyone's help and response!

By the way, I've added a section-- most of the submissions were in the "strength of spirit" category, but some were religious-based and some weren't, so I've split that into "strength of spirit" (non-religious) and "finding strength in faith" (religious). I'm also making "strength in fiction" its own section, because it gets a little confusing to read true stories, then have fiction in the middle of it.

So far we have no submissions in the "role models of strength" category.

Robin Bayne
09-08-2005, 04:11 AM
I have also contacted a few "famous" romance authors, and will let you know if any are interested.

Do you need someone to set up/lay out the book in Pagemaker?? My dh does that for some small press publishers and will volunteer, he said, as long as he doesn't have "to edit as he goes along."

sthrnwriter
09-08-2005, 10:53 AM
I found this thread last week. I sent Mac a fiction short story I wrote a while back. I figured since it was about not only losing a family member but also rebuilding after a natural disaster that it would fit in this anthology. I really hope this project is a major success.

Kida Adelyne
09-08-2005, 05:04 PM
This is such a wonderful Idea Jenna!
I'm not sure if my writings up to scratch, but I'll submit somthing anyway. And I'll spread the word wherever I can.

-Ally

Diva
09-08-2005, 07:27 PM
So far we have no submissions in the "role models of strength" category.

I just got this link from another forum. I joined and I'm here. I would love to write something about my "role model of strenth" - I am so sorry, but I will have to look through the thread to find the submission link.

I will try to get my story to you within two or three days.

:Hail: This is a wonderful idea and I'm happy to participate.

ChunkyC
09-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi Diva! It's wonderful you could join us. If you haven't found the guidelines already, I have a link to them in my 'signature' line at the bottom of my posts.

rich
09-08-2005, 09:40 PM
What about a kid's book? --combination short short stuff, and poetry. Theme: anything life-enhancing.

Please permit my endless pessimism, but I do hope some of the volunteer editors have enough sense to reject what won't fit.

rich
09-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Shoulda said "What about a kid's book, too."

Alphabet
09-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Three cheers to Macallister Stone
Who is editing all alone
I just wanted to say
That I think you are great
And will make it a wonderful tome.

Kida Adelyne
09-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Three cheers to Macallister Stone
Who is editing all alone
I just wanted to say
That I think you are great
And will make it a wonderful tome.

hear-hear!:Clap:

Ken Schneider
09-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Kat sent me an e-mail, and she's out of the picture. Her deadline is tight and she'strying to catch up. Durn!

MacAllister
09-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Feedback time is about 2-3 days, at this point. :) I'm trying to respond to everyone in the order their subs are received.

Y'all are terrific! Also, you're a bunch of really good writers. Thank you.

Gabriele
09-09-2005, 02:41 AM
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure the Great Virtual Vault hasn't eaten anything. It sometimes does, ye ken. ;)

Robin Bayne
09-09-2005, 04:09 AM
I e-mailed Robin Lee Hatcher yesterday (pretty famous Christian novelist) and she has already sent a story!!! Woo-hoo!:Clap:

abea
09-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Your are very thoughtful Jenna!
I'm sending my poem soon for the anthology!

ChunkyC
09-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Welcome, Abea, and thank you!

maestrowork
09-09-2005, 09:05 PM
I submitted... but didn't get an acceptance yet... *sniff sniff*

PattiTheWicked
09-09-2005, 09:33 PM
I know I'm coming into this late, but count me in.

Everyone here SO rocks.

OzFade
09-10-2005, 10:55 AM
I was wondering whether any final details are know about the book yet such as; title, cover art, when it will be released and the question that everyone has been waiting for, when will we find out if our submission as been accepted yet?

Keep up the good work.

Christine N.
09-10-2005, 03:37 PM
I sent in a second sub on Thursday evening!

KimJo
09-10-2005, 05:41 PM
I just sent my submission, an essay for the Role Models of Strength category. I'm excited about possibly being part of this!

sharynbg
09-12-2005, 02:09 AM
I read the guidelines and I'm interested. One question -- are all submissions going to be published or is there a selection process?

Thanks.

JennaGlatzer
09-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Hi! Sorry I'm a little behind... deadlines are creeping up on me and I'm not as far along on this as I hoped I'd be.

A few quick answers:

Mac is the first-round reader/editor. Please don't consider anything officially "accepted" yet. Mac is passing along her recommendations to me; anything she has sent to me has passed through the first round. However, no final decisions have been made yet, and won't be made until after the deadline (Sept. 16) passes. I'm hoping to have the manuscript be around 75,000 words. We've already received more submissions than could possibly fit, with lots more coming in daily.

This is not a "we want to publish anything" type of book, but we are aiming to include as many writers as possible. Please feel free to "workshop" anything you send (you can share it on the "share your work" board to get feedback, or in any writers' group you belong to). In fact, we encourage that.

Most likely, we will not publish more than one piece from each writer unless both pieces are extremely strong. But please feel free to continue submitting two; it gives us the chance to choose which one we feel is stronger.

I'm currently approaching a couple of editors in the hopes that two or three of them will agree to edit the selected pieces. JAlpha, I have you on deck for poetry and fiction-- thanks!

I also heard from a graphic designer today who's interested in doing the cover. I'll keep you updated on that.

Thank you all again, so much, for your interest. I've read so many touching stories already, and am eager to read more!

JAlpha
09-12-2005, 09:37 AM
JAlpha, I have you on deck for poetry and fiction-- thanks!

Ready and waiting http://www.eunuch.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/fan.gif

JennaGlatzer
09-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Annnnd one of the editors I just contacted said yes, too! :kiss: to Gwen Moran, who's going to edit some of the essays. She's a well-published writer and experienced editor, and I'm thrilled to have her join us.

saraht
09-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Of course I am in no hurry to hear anything, might be a 'thanks but no thanks'. So the way I view this is, no news is good news sort of thing.

Jenna, you really are the best.

Violet

abea
09-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Done writing an inspiring poem! Just polishing it!

Will be sending soon!

sharynbg
09-13-2005, 02:14 AM
Jenna,

Thanks for the reply about the selection process. It was the answer I wanted to hear. I'm working on my story.

JennaGlatzer
09-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks!

Okay, next update:

WAHOO! We have some terrific editors onboard. You may even recognize some of them from magazine mastheads. :) There are actually about seven who've volunteered now, which is great-- that way none of them have to edit too many pieces at once, and we can keep moving quickly.

I've begun sending them essays, stories, and poems. Each writer will have an editor assigned for developmental editing, then I hope to have just one copy editor (maybe two) for the whole manuscript, so we don't have inconsistent styles.

I'm trying to match up the right editors with the right writers, so don't be worried if you don't hear from someone right away.

I'm really pleased with the overall quality of submissions, and I think this is going to be a terrific book. Thanks again to Mac for her hard work and dedication! :Hail:

biotales
09-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Count me in Jenna... I will submit a piece or two.......

Reece10
09-13-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm looking for something that fits as I type!

Reece

abea
09-14-2005, 02:22 AM
Hey Jenna!
How silly of me, but I have to ask that on which email I have to send my submission?
Please reply soon

Birol
09-14-2005, 03:51 AM
Send it to macallisterstone(at)yahoo.com and put STRENGTH in the subject line.

Kim Gogo
09-14-2005, 07:10 AM
It is such a feeling of relief to know that I can help out with such a good cause and I appreciate the support that Mac and Janet have offered with my poem.:kiss:

When I shared the anthology idea with some of my writing mentors, one asked me if and how much of a cut Lulu would be taking from the proceeds. I'm sure at this point in time, Jenna, you don't know how much the book will cost, but has Lulu said what percentage they take or have they offered to donate their share of the cost to the Red Cross?

Another mentor :Lecture:urged me to ensure in writing that copyright would remain with me and that I would be credited for the poem. She is unfamiliar with AW so I should not be surprised by what she said. However, I thought I would put it out anyway. I have no experience yet with being published, so it's a question I suppose I should ask...even though it feels kinda icky since the whole purpose of me submitting a poem is so that the Red Cross can benefit financially from my passion for writing. However, that being said, the poem I submitted, I hope to have published with a Children's anthology, so I should, perhaps, find out the nitty-gritty.

Also, if my piece has gone through Mac and Janet, I'm presuming from an earlier post of yours, Jenna, that it still is not final until after your deadline has passed?

When all is said and done, if something that inspired me is able to benefit someone who has been through a terrible experience such as that of Katrina, then my little bubble is pretty happy and guaranteed unburstable. :partyguy:

kim

p.s. if I'm not mistaken on the date, Happy Birthday KTC!
:PartySmil

JennaGlatzer
09-14-2005, 07:48 AM
Hi!

>>When I shared the anthology idea with some of my writing mentors, one asked me if and how much of a cut Lulu would be taking from the proceeds.

Lulu has base prices based on the page count. I don't have the figures in front of me, but let's say we have a 300-page book in 6x9 format. Lulu's base price is something like $9 and change. We then get to set the price however we like. So if we set it at $15, then $6 from every book sale goes to the Red Cross.

>>Another mentor :Lecture:urged me to ensure in writing that copyright would remain with me and that I would be credited for the poem.

Yes and yes. We're taking only one-time anthology rights, so all other rights stay with you-- you're free to use the poem wherever else you like. Your name will be credited, and you can submit a bio of up to 35 words.

If an editor has contacted you, consider that a 95% guarantee that we're accepting your work. Some of the pieces have problems that will need to be fixed before we can "officially" accept them, but as long as you (not you specifically; "you" meaning everyone) can work with the editor to get any problems resolved, we do plan to include your work.

And... hang on. I'm going to post one of the essays I loved as an example of what we're looking for...

JennaGlatzer
09-14-2005, 07:51 AM
THE SHRINE
By Matthew James

My mom was always fanatical about the refrigerator. It had to be clean, spotless clean, and if a wayward milk dribble made its way down the jug
and onto the shelf long enough to settle and dry, she would spend an hour removing everything from the inside and scrubbing, scrubbing,
scrubbing it clean. The outside of the fridge was the same. Nary a mark, scuff, thumbprint, banana sticker was allowed to tarnish the shiny, off-white Kenmore for more than a mere second. And God forbid someone even suggest the use of a magnet. God forbid. That fridge was her temple, my dad would say. Her special quirk.

Which is why I knew something was terribly wrong the day I came home to find the Post-It note stuck right to the middle of the freezer door.

Stay Strong, it said.

Seeing that note was like a punch to the stomach. I knew she’d had an important doctor’s visit earlier. I knew about the lump she had found
in her breast. I knew my father was worried, but still, that note… I was seventeen years old, and at that moment I knew life would never be the same.

She had cancer, and it was bad. Stage three, the doctor said. I didn’t know what that meant at the time, but I knew the odds were less than
even.

She cried a lot, especially right after the surgery and during the chemo. I was helpless. My father was strong, a decorated military officer, but even he crumbled under the pressure of seeing my mother, his wife, in that state. His hair turned gray and thinned noticeably, all in a matter of months.

I began to do terribly in school. I would just sit in class, staring out the window, surprised when the bell would ring. Sometimes I wouldn’t wantto go home after school or work, and I felt ashamed. I would look at my mother, and I could see her slipping.

A few weeks into her treatment a magnet appeared, about six inches below the Post-it. It was a pink ribbon. Then an American Cancer Society magnet a week after that. She began to trade postcards with other cancer patients, and those all made their way onto the Kenmore. Soon the refrigerator became a temple of another sort. A shrine more than anything. A beacon of strength.

And I don’t know why, but with every new addition to the refrigerator, my mother would get better. It was as if she suddenly woke up one morning and decided that she was going to live, and that she was going to pull herself out of it, bit by bit. Every ounce of strength she used to put into cleaning that thing now went into healing herself. And all the little tangible things she used to help herself were put there on that shrine.

This was my cue. My father and I both began to find things and put them on the fridge also. We never talked about it, but we had both found a way to help her, and we did. I found magnets at the mall with silly jokes about shopping. My dad would take the junk-mail magnets advertising pizza delivery and insurance companies and snap them on. Calendars appeared, a bumper sticker that read “I (heart) my Chihuahua” was slapped onto the side, and we didn’t even have a dog. The shrine grew and grew, and when we ran out of room, we began to cover the older with the new.

And my mother lived.

It’s been over ten years now, and they have since purchased a new refrigerator. It’s a fancy silver one with the side-by-side doors and
one of those ice and water things right there. The inside is still pretty clean, but the exterior is another story. Old postcards, magnets for businesses that have closed down years ago, bumper stickers she had
collected while she was sick, they all remain, along with every single possible refrigerator accessory known to man. It doesn’t even look like
a refrigerator anymore. It’s a shaggy beast, standing there in the kitchen, completely out of place with the rest of the house.

And underneath it all, it’s still there. I know it’s there even though I can’t see it, because I can feel it. I can feel it when I look into my mother’s eyes, when I walk into her house and just breathe the air,
when I see her put her head on my father’s shoulder. By God, I can feel it.

Stay Strong.

MacAllister
09-14-2005, 07:54 AM
OH! That was one of my favorites too, so far. :) It gave me goose-bumps when I found it.

paprikapink
09-14-2005, 07:57 AM
ohhhhh yeah. that's a good one.

okay, i'm over my disappointment that you didn't post mine. ;)

JennaGlatzer
09-14-2005, 08:07 AM
PK, highly possible that I just haven't read yours yet. ;) I've read about 75 so far (the ones Mac has approved) and I know she has about another 50 still to go through.

We're going to have to be pickier than I anticipated just because of the page count issue-- if we wind up with a 600-page book, the base price will get too expensive, and we'll have to price the book way too high for most readers. This is also why we're going to be sticklers about word counts. Please, please don't submit anything beyond 2,000 words, but preferably not beyond 1200 words. That leaves us more space to run other writers' work.

Oh, and BTW, in case anyone was concerned: I did ask Matthew's permission to post his essay here. :)

Shwebb
09-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Ohhh, that was an awesome read.

WVWriterGirl
09-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Now that I've read Matthew's (beautiful, wonderful, great...) I feel all inadequate with mine...

WVWG...slumping back to the word processor...

JennaGlatzer
09-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Just wanted to tell you which editors have already received work so far. You may hear from any of them soon:

Amy Rea

Julia Rosien

Denise DiFulco

Gwen Moran

Janet Paszkowski

Lisa Waterman Gray

B. J. Robinson
-

Thank you so much to these fabulous editors! There are a couple of others who've volunteered who I haven't assigned anything to yet, and some essays that I'll be editing. I'll keep you posted.

Alphabet
09-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, I think that puts paid to the 'wonder what quality the book is going to be/wonder how selective the selection process is' which we all have felt (I think) even if only idly.

I for one am going to be elated if my work ends up in a book that includes that piece! That'll make me double elated - once for being in a charitable anthology, and once for being in a quality anthology...

Eeeekk! I hope one of my pieces gets in - it's ok, I've only got a small and loving family - it is no problem for me to say 'er.. you know I said about that anthology I was in - well, it turns out I'm not - it was only a provisional acceptance and...'

LOL My biggest pleasure in this is being a part of a healing process, not just for Katrina's survivors either, but for this community itself as we come to terms with it - and if my part in that process is to not be selected then I've still played my part and can be happy with that.

aruna
09-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Jenna, that piece took my breath away!

Kim Gogo
09-14-2005, 04:08 PM
That was a wonderful piece. I know I haven't seen the other pieces chosen, but that one was so phenominal, I almost wonder if the book should be called "Stay Strong" and that piece be the first. And perhaps the cover would be white with a bright yellow post-it note stuck in the centre, and the words Stay Strong in a font that resembles a hand-written note.

But then, that's just my .02 opinion. Matthew deserves a big, huge hug for that one, whether fiction or non.

Thank you, Matthew. I think we all have had the experience of cancer in our families. My mother passed away 3 years ago tomorrow at the age of 57 of lung cancer complications, weighing just over 70 lbs. Your story was extremely inspiring and I am so glad to have read it.

kim

Kim Gogo
09-14-2005, 04:25 PM
"Stay Strong, And Other Stories of Strength"

dragonjax
09-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Coming in late to say that I'm in.

I'm a copy chief by day for a business journal, as well as a SF/F editor for a literary magazine. If you still need volunteers for editing, just say the word.

saraht
09-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Jenna, thanks for posting Matthews submission, it was very touching.

Reading is only a bunch of words put together. But when put together such as Matthew did with his story the reader (at least I did) can feel his passion, his worry and love for his mother. I loved reading it and can't wait for the book to be finished so I can read all the stories.

Jenna, you, Mac and all the others helping you are doing a wonderful job. Thanks so much.

Violet

Paint
09-14-2005, 06:57 PM
That was a great piece Matthew! Truely points the way to what is important in life, Thank You!

Jenna, will the editors put something identifying in their subject line? I am worried I may have deleted him/her. I get so much junk mail and often it is just a name. (Chews nails)

Paint

Kim Gogo
09-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Paint, the email I received was entitled "Regarding your Katrina Relief Poem" but I'm not sure if it was a standard heading. I would hope that all the editors would put something relevant to your submission or the the Relief project in their subject line.

It's probably a good point to editors that if your author doesn't respond within 24 hours of your email, maybe you could try again to notify them of the editing status of their submission.

kim

marypr3535
09-14-2005, 07:42 PM
I would love to help.

saraht
09-14-2005, 07:47 PM
In the subject line mine had 'Stories of Strength', when I saw that I knew it wasn't junk mail. Still, I was nervous about opening it, I hate rejections. But, it wasn't a rejection and I am so thankful.

Violet

aka eraser
09-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Bravo Matthew! That's a great piece. :Clap:

09-14-2005, 08:37 PM
i was really moved by it

KimJo
09-15-2005, 12:31 AM
Unfortunately, my essay wasn't chosen. But I still plan to spread the word about the anthology and buy a copy when it comes out.

After reading Matthew's essay, I can understand why mine was rejected!

Ken Schneider
09-15-2005, 01:15 AM
A big old good luck to everyone on their stories.

I have hope the book does well.

Ken.

Kida Adelyne
09-15-2005, 01:32 AM
That was beautiful! Made me go "what I wan't to submit will never compare to that!":Hail:

I'll still send it. If nothing else I can help with the regection slip club.:tongue

I can't wait to be able to read the final product of the anthology!

-Ally

Kim Gogo
09-15-2005, 03:13 AM
It will be very interesting to know how many submissions were sent in, when all is said and done. So many people have come forward and expressed an interest in submitting their work, in such a short turnaround time.

I do hope that the volunteer editors get kudos somewhere in the collection.

kim

DedicatedWriter
09-15-2005, 04:49 AM
Considering what so many have been through, I think the clear message of Stories of Hope is good.

WVWriterGirl
09-15-2005, 05:57 AM
Ok, my assigned editor has put me through the paces and she and I think the piece is ready. To whom do I send it? Jenna? Mac? As attachment or in the body of an email (because people are so darned picky about that stuff...).

Thanks guys!

WVWG

JennaGlatzer
09-15-2005, 06:22 AM
Send back to the editor and she'll send it on to me (or you can just cc: me on the e-mail). This way the editor knows the piece is done and isn't wondering if it's still in limbo. Word or RTF attachments should be fine. Thanks!

P.S. Kim, you bet. They'll all be thanked in the acknowledgments. :)

And welcome, DedicatedWriter!

paprikapink
09-15-2005, 06:24 AM
Hey, congrats, WVWG!!

My whole famdamily is getting this anthology for xmas.

jdkiggins
09-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Great essay, Matthew. And congrats, WVWriterGirl!

WVWriterGirl
09-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks, guys, I really appreciate it. Not only am I proud to be a part of this and honored that they would choose little 'ole me, but this is my first piece of published material EVER. I'm glad it could be this.

I had another idea this evening, too. When you list the authors of the pieces that are chosen, I think it would be neat to put our usernames, too, if the author wanted it. What ya'll think?

WVWG

Rose colored glasses
09-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Jenna, thank you for organizing this and giving us this opportunity to help. I would like to put a link for the book on my website when it becomes available.

I'm working with the editor now on my story and can't wait to read the whole book!

Matthew, that made me cry. What an awesome story.

Alphabet
09-15-2005, 11:59 AM
When should I be concerned if I've not been contacted by one of the new editors? (Given that I did get contact from MacAllister on both pieces sent)

rtilryarms
09-15-2005, 01:37 PM
May I be so bold as to suggest an acknowledgement page dedicated to the contributors who did not make the final cut? It might make for and excellent segue for a 2nd publication as I think this is going to be a huge success.

Am I right to assume that Mac, Jenna and the Editors are struggling with some excellent pieces will not be included?

Jenna, Mac, et al; I am in for promotion and even if we need help footing some dineros.

My POD department is only capable of non-glossy magazine style printing until the new equipment comes in. But i thought I would throw it out there in case Lulu becomes too expensive. The printing we do is much like the membership directory you get with your insurance packages.

Our new equipment will be located in Manhattan Jenna. I will visit when I install it, about April next year.

I also will advertise in the school sports programs. Volleyball, wrestling and football at $100 a pop full-page ads. So when we have a draft for a cover, let me know ASAP.

Mike

emeriis
09-15-2005, 02:42 PM
I didn't have time to read through all the posts but wow what a great idea! If you still need help with editing or whatever, please let me know. Also I'm interested in corresponding with anyone who was in the areas hit by Hurricane Katrina. If you know of anyone, please have them contact me at megstewart@ameritech.net with "Survivor" as the subject of their email.

Thanks!

aruna
09-15-2005, 03:01 PM
That was a wonderful piece. I know I haven't seen the other pieces chosen, but that one was so phenominal, I almost wonder if the book should be called "Stay Strong" and that piece be the first. And perhaps the cover would be white with a bright yellow post-it note stuck in the centre, and the words Stay Strong in a font that resembles a hand-written note.

kim

I love this idea...

abea
09-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Dear Macallister Stone! I've send you my poem.

I'm so glad to help.

God bless Katrina victims!

All of you who are participating in this thoughtful project; best of luck!:Thumbs:

Shwebb
09-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Hey!

I see a product tie-in--Post-it note-shaped magnets w/ "Stay Strong" on 'em. Not saying it should be done, but that I could see the potential for it.

Kim Gogo
09-15-2005, 08:00 PM
I love this idea...

Tanks! :)

Shwebb
09-15-2005, 08:07 PM
When should I be concerned if I've not been contacted by one of the new editors? (Given that I did get contact from MacAllister on both pieces sent)

I know, I'm in the same boat. And I think it's harder waiting for this (as opposed to other submissions) because we're more emotionally invested. I'd gotten an encouraging initial response from Mac, but I've heard nothing since.

MacAllister
09-15-2005, 10:21 PM
No news is just that, folks...no news. :) We've gotten a couple of hundred submissions, in a very short amount of time.

If I've contacted you to say I liked it a lot, that means it's going on to Jenna; then you know you've gone through the first round of reads--but it's not a sure thing, yet.

Jenna is contacting peeps with rejections, too :( (since Jenna and I are both writers, you just gotta KNOW how much we both hate writing those letters)

I'm caught up through Monday's submissions, and have started on Tuesday's subs. If you subbed before Tuesday of this week, and haven't heard from me, you might just double-check about the status of your submission.

Thanks!

JennaGlatzer
09-15-2005, 10:37 PM
Hang in there with me. I'm doing my best to get everything assigned, and it's very possible that you've already been assigned to an editor but she isn't up to your piece yet. (Most of the editors are working on 3-4 pieces.)

If you've heard from Mac but haven't heard anything from an editor or me by Friday, please feel free to drop me a PM for a progress report.

(Shwebb, you have been assigned to an editor. Alphabet, your "Trust" meditation hasn't been assigned to an editor yet only because I don't think it needs any revision... hey, that's good news, huh? :) )

rtilryarms
09-15-2005, 10:46 PM
(Shwebb, you have been assigned to an editor. Alphabet, your "Trust" meditation hasn't been assigned to an editor yet only because I don't think it needs any revision... hey, that's good news, huh? :) )

Oh and Mike.......I hear that this wil be a very cold winter. Hell may get some frost yet........

rtilryarms
09-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Jenna et al.

What about corporate sponsors? A couple of pages dedicated to corporations donating through AW appeal to us?

You could have platinum / gold / silver and wood sponsors for large to none donations.

Want me to prod the corporate heads and see if it tickles 'em? i know we just sent about $10K and the mother company sent several $K's. Might be more in the pocket esppecially if there is a chance to co-promote.

JennaGlatzer
09-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Mike, that would be super-neat!

rtilryarms
09-15-2005, 11:30 PM
edited

wtg

mrs75
09-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Sent my submission on Wednesday; glad to help. If there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.

I was beginning to wonder if I was going to make the deadline. I done a re-write on the piece several times--hope I made it better.

rtilryarms
09-15-2005, 11:59 PM
edited

i am so happy to be with y'all.

Shwebb
09-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Hang in there with me. I'm doing my best to get everything assigned, and it's very possible that you've already been assigned to an editor but she isn't up to your piece yet. (Most of the editors are working on 3-4 pieces.)

If you've heard from Mac but haven't heard anything from an editor or me by Friday, please feel free to drop me a PM for a progress report.

Jenna, please don't misunderstand, I don't have a problem w/ waiting. (Okay, I do, but I'm a grownup--I'm just not supposed to!) I was just wanting to acknowledge that this time around I think it's harder for us to wait because of the emotions this project embodies. It just feels SO BIG, you know?

I can't believe how quickly you've motivated such a large number of people in such a short amount of time to put together something like this. :Hail:

(Oh, and thanks for the update on my piece, too!)

Alphabet
09-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Alphabet, your "Trust" meditation hasn't been assigned to an editor yet only because I don't think it needs any revision... hey, that's good news, huh? :)

LOL! I think I ought to remind all that this only happened because (as mentioned earlier in-thread) I asked and adopted some advice from JAlpha before sending it - who now happens to be the poetry editor - I wouldn't want anyone to think I was capable of sending in a faultless piece all on my ownsome.

Thanks Jenna, both for the detailed update and the general answer to my question.

mdin
09-16-2005, 01:01 AM
Jenna,

How are you doing on the 'disaster preparedness' stuff?

lars
09-16-2005, 01:08 AM
I submitted a piece on Tuesday (I intended it for the Role Models of Strength category but I don't think I said that in the e-mail), but only just found this thread today...I don't post much on online forums so I'm not always on top of resources like this...gotta fix that! =) I'm happy I found it, now at least I don't have to bite off my nails one by one wondering if the no-response-yet was good or bad.

I did love that Stay Strong piece. If the whole book makes me feel as warm and encouraged as that one selection did, it's going to be amazing.

Jenna, thanks for getting this anthology up and running! It's a wonderful way to give. Whether or not my piece is chosen, I'm buying about a zillion copies...I love the idea from a previous poster to give the books as family Christmas gifts. =)

sthrnwriter
09-16-2005, 02:42 AM
I submitted my short story a few weeks ago and it made it through the first round which I'm very happy about. If it doesn't make it into the anthology, that's fine with me. I'm just glad I was able to get this far. But I would be totally excited if it did. It would be good to hear something before my birthday on saturday on whether or not it's in or not. Thanks Jenna, Mac and all the editors for working so hard putting this anthology together.

Robin Bayne
09-16-2005, 03:42 AM
Our offer still stands if help is needed doing the actual manuscript layout prior to printing.

clintl
09-16-2005, 06:57 AM
My two submissions have been sent.

rtilryarms
09-16-2005, 04:40 PM
edited.

I am proud of all of you!

sruble
09-16-2005, 09:01 PM
I saw a posting for submissions to the anthology on a children's writers board and came here to check it out.

This is a really great project Jenna - thanks for the opportunity to contribute.

I sent a poem to Mac for the Strength of Spirit category.

Let me know if I can help out in any way, and I will make sure to announce the book on my blog and in emails when the press release is ready.

And thanks to Mac and all the other people who have volunteered to help make this book a reality.

JamieE
09-16-2005, 11:34 PM
For the obviously newbie question: What's a PM?

JennaGlatzer
09-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Private Message. :) If you click on any member's name, it'll bring up a menu with options-- one of the options is "Send private message."

Welcome, sruble, and thanks, Inspie! I meant to write to you earlier... Lulu provides a template in Word, which then gets converted to PDF-- I don't know how it would work with PageMaker. Do you know?

JennaGlatzer
09-17-2005, 12:10 AM
My dear co-administrator here, ChunkyC (Charlie) has offered to be in charge of the printed advertising efforts, so anyone who wants to coordinate with him on things like posters, brochures, etc., please feel free to write to him.

I've asked the cover artist to have the cover done by Sept. 25th, which coincides with when I hope to have all the editing done. Then it just needs to be proofread and formatted, and we're ready to roll!

ChunkyC
09-17-2005, 01:01 AM
Jenna called me 'dear' *swoon* http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonfaint.gif

The company I work for has graciously donated the talents of our desktop publishing department. Our initial plan is to create a poster that can be downloaded (PDF format probably), printed out and put up around your local bookstores, libraries, and anywhere else you can think of to advertise the availability of the book.

Someone upthread mentioned brochures. If you have ideas on producing brochures or other downloadable/printable materials, let me know by PM. My company doesn't have to create all the various items, but I think we should coordinate with anyone else who'd like to produce something so that we have a consistant look, and all the proper info is included. I'll pass all suggestions for these printables by Jenna for her okay, then we'll rock and roll!

I have to tell you all, I am getting so excited about this project!

Robin Bayne
09-17-2005, 02:55 AM
thanks, Inspie! I meant to write to you earlier... Lulu provides a template in Word, which then gets converted to PDF-- I don't know how it would work with PageMaker. Do you know?

My dh would need the word file (prior to converting to pdf) and then he can take it into PageMaker. Feel free to PM me with any questions. :)