Okay, now I'm pissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I've never catagorized myself as anything: gay straight or otherwise, but I've never hidden the fact that I can fall in love with anyone who loves me back. I've brought boys, girls and transgendered lovers to family events without giving a crap what any of them thought of it, and they've never shared their thoughts with me. I can guess what they think :e2fairy:

When I moved here to Connecticut I was asked nicely to tone it down around the nephews, which I wasn't really against--they'e young and I'm a bit overbearing and strange--no, really :D

Anyway, things change.

When the 12 year old asked me about homosexuality, I told him the truth about being bisexual.

Dude, I was slammed for it. Not all, but most of my family, is acting like I'm coming out of the closet. WTF?

I thought marching in the gay pride parade every year and having a boyfriend (who I introduced as my boyfriend) was enough for them to get the hint.

Now it just feels like they were trying to push me into the closet.

The wife and me are loading up the truck at the end of the summer and getting the hell outta here. I won't allow anyone to treat me like that, family or not.

So, who's going to adopt me?

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
There weren't enough details about what you told the 12-year-old, but I'm wondering if maybe the family was upset that you responded *at all* instead of referring him back to his parents? I just know that, as a parent, things about sexuality, religion, relationships, etc, are things that I would prefer to discuss with my child myself. I would have no objection to him talking to other people if I knew about it ahead of time, but I'd want to be part of that overall discussion.

But like I say, I don't know the details about what you said, or about the whole family dynamics. So this is just a "on the surface, it seems..." type of response.

And not to dismiss your anger - it's a heavy weight living with a family who won't really accept you for what you are, whether it's sexuality or religion or anything else. Been there, done that.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
They didn't object to a 17 year old friend telling him that fags are freaks, so I didn't think they'd mind me setting the record straight...so to speak.

But my real probleem is that they're acting like this is some kind of revelation. Like my whole life never happened, or I was hiding it all these years.

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait one second...we have a Tinkerbell icon?

On OP matters...I'll adopt you Wayne.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
But my real probleem is that they're acting like this is some kind of revelation. Like my whole life never happened, or I was hiding it all these years.

Ah, yes. Talking to the boy meant their wall of denial got a thorough blasting. I can understand your feeling on that - like WTF did you think was going on all these years?!

I often times found myself staring at a family member who had the same kind of blinders on - and wondering who the hell *they* were...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Parents can be quite touchy about what information their childen receive, when and from whom. Their reactions are not always logical.

Personally, I think 12 is old enough to get perspectives on sexuality from a variety of sources. Puberty is just 'round the corner, they've had sex ed in school, and they're curious wee sponges. I agree with you. If they're old enough to hear the negative about homosexuality, they're old enough to hear the truth. Knowing this information will NOT suddenly make a kid headed down a straight road into a queer. And vice versa.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I'll adopt you. The 12 year olds I know sure know more about sex today than I knew at 20 (way back in the wagon train days). My family is from the deep south and I was a breaker of societies rules when it was down right dangerous so I know the feeling. I believe they thought I'd be struck down by God or living in a gutter without even a dog having anything to do with me.

My first husband 30 years ago was half black so boy did I catch hell for that! I think they wanted to do an intervention on me because they were so sure they could "straighten me out". Like I've always believed "You can choose your friends but you can't choose your family" and most of the family I've got left I'd never be friends with in a million years.

Needless to say, 30 years later I'm not living in a gutter or working in a strip joint, my daughter is successful and well adjusted, I've got friends and even the dogs love me. :D

Sounds like your family needs you in it to help them adjust. It's better to tell truths than prejudicial lies.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got the whole upstairs empty. Plenty of room.

I know from having step kids to tread lightly on such issues. In a perfect world you would have been able to talk to the kids' parents beforehand about what they wanted their children to know about sexuality. But the world isn't perfect; with kids you sometimes have no more than 10 seconds to talk to them and all you can do is take your best shot. My ex-wife and I disagreed on many issues, and especially with what I told the kids about things like this.

"To thine own self be true," and in the long run you telling them the truth will be a good thing. Besides, your nephew asked; that means he's had questions for a while.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
As a straight girl whose family arranged an intervention--priest and all--because I was photographed giving a speech at the anti-sodomy march in Nashville when I was in college (a photo that ended up in the state paper), I have more than enough room and tolerance to adopt you whenever you wish. Bring the wife too--sounds like she could use a sane girl to talk to.

Trust me: families can be willfully blind when it comes to sexuality. My parents tried to *save* me from being gay (when I was straight) and completely ignored my brother's homosexuality for years. Like fifteen years. They actually thought they busted him. He thought they knew because only a really stupid person would EVER have thought my brother was straight.

So yes--I have an abyssmally stupid family too. Maybe we should just start our own family and only admit smart people who have a clue.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I felt like crap when I left for the store, but you guys put a smile on my face. I knew that would happen, which is why I posted here.

You guys rock :Hug2:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Man...we are one child and about 7 or 8 years away from having an empty nest. I luv ya wayne, but not that much! We're in the subtracting kids stage...not adding. (-:

Sorry about the raw deal...seriously. Chin up, you crazy kid.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I had a family like that when I lived in NYC. The sign said "Gay Lesbian Center" but to me it was home. They're really great people.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
and the sign says you gotta have a membership card to get inside.

but not here. at aw. where your writing family is. (-;

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
We'll adopt you - but I'll warn you, my kids are little heathens. They will climb all over you and, if you have a cell phone, my son will steal it and run for the hills, where he will proceed to make all sorts of long distance calls and run up data charges. :D

Oh... and then there's the dog...

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I thought marching in the gay pride parade every year and having a boyfriend (who I introduced as my boyfriend) was enough for them to get the hint.

Now it just feels like they were trying to push me into the closet.

The wife and me are loading up the truck at the end of the summer and getting the hell outta here. I won't allow anyone to treat me like that, family or not.

So, who's going to adopt me?

Ah, the old dismissing "activities" as some kind of political Phase. I know it well. Just because you're "Progressive"? This does not translate to personal identity in closed or fearful minds. People are free to rationalize ad lib.

Their loss. Our gain! We're having casserole for dinner...OK to be late. :D

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
:kiss: don't know what to say - 'cept, yes, you and the wife are welcome in my home.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Not about sexuality but, I've been an atheist for at least 12 years, yet because I politely don't make a big deal about it several of my family members like to conveniently overlook this fact. Then, I've been living platonically with a male friend for several years, and I've actively tried to correct people - he's not my boyfriend, I'm not sleeping with him, we are never going to get married - and yet he still gets introduced as my boyfriend. *eyeroll* I don't think moving is the answer, I think being yourself, correcting others politely when they act like idiots, and maybe being a little louder about it (I should get some atheist pride t-shirts except the idea of people trying to argue christianity to me is repulsive), is the answer.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll adopt you. The 12 year olds I know sure know more about sex today than I knew at 20.

I have a 3 year old daughter who is fully aware that some boys have girlfriends and some have boyfriends, and she sees nothing odd about that.

I have a couple of close relatives who are gay, and my daughters has an aunt and uncle (on her fathers side) who are both gay, so she's always been aware that everyone's relationships are different.

Having heard some of the stories here I#m really thankful that I have the family I do. We were brought up pretty liberally, and that's what I'm trying to do with my kids. I don#t want them to think of anything as being somehow wrong or not 'normal'

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Not about sexuality but, I've been an atheist for at least 12 years, yet because I politely don't make a big deal about it several of my family members like to conveniently overlook this fact. Then, I've been living platonically with a male friend for several years, and I've actively tried to correct people - he's not my boyfriend, I'm not sleeping with him, we are never going to get married - and yet he still gets introduced as my boyfriend. *eyeroll* I don't think moving is the answer, I think being yourself, correcting others politely when they act like idiots, and maybe being a little louder about it (I should get some atheist pride t-shirts except the idea of people trying to argue christianity to me is repulsive), is the answer.

ha. and i bet these are teh same people who would be horrified if you were sleeping with him.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, can't adopt you. Like Kuwi, I'm old enough to be your son. My family's house is too full, and my parents would definitely not think very highly of you. Besides, they don't even know I'm gay yet. If they did, they'd think you were taking advantage of me.

But I'd happily adopt you if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.