PDA

View Full Version : Help! What's an appropriate response to request for more?

Shiela
06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I recently recieved a request for the first 50 pages from an agent who aceepted my query and first 10 pages, and I'm not sure what's an appropriate response is. Do I tell him/her how honored and excited I am to have them read this? (Because I am!!!) Is gushing even acceptable? Or do I simply state that I have attached what they requested? Any help is greatly appreciated given that I really don't want to screw this up :) Thanks in advance!!!

~Shiela

Ryan_Sullivan
06-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Being excited is fine, but don't over do it. Just say thank you, let them know you appreciate their time/effort, let them know that anything other materials they need are available upon request, and turn it in. Good luck!

Terie
06-25-2010, 11:54 AM
I recently recieved a request for the first 50 pages from an agent who aceepted my query and first 10 pages, and I'm not sure what's an appropriate response is. Do I tell him/her how honored and excited I am to have them read this? (Because I am!!!) Is gushing even acceptable? Or do I simply state that I have attached what they requested? Any help is greatly appreciated given that I really don't want to screw this up :) Thanks in advance!!!

This. Keep it short, sweet, and professional.

'Thank you for your interest in <title>. Per your request, I've attached <or 'I've included', if sending hardcopy> the first 50 pages. I look forward to your reply.'

That's pretty much all you need to say. They're agents; they're in the biz; they know how excited you are; you don't need to say it. :)

And good luck!!

Shiela
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks so much for the advice and good wishes! Another question: she addressed me informally in her request (Hi, Shiela), should I respond the same? (Hi, first name) Or should it keep it formal (Dear Ms/Mr). Sorry about all the questions - this is my first time with a partial :)

~Shiela

Ryan_Sullivan
06-25-2010, 12:30 PM
I would continue with the Mr/Ms for partials and fulls. If they ask for revisions, or you work with them after the full, then you can consider breaking that. But at this stage, just stick to being formal.

Shiela
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks again, Ryan :)

~Shiela

Bufty
06-25-2010, 02:08 PM
If someone addressed me by my first name I would respond in like manner - but don't let the content become flippant.

One can still be professional even though in first name mode.

shaldna
06-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Is gushing even acceptable?

NO.

Kathleen42
06-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks so much for the advice and good wishes! Another question: she addressed me informally in her request (Hi, Shiela), should I respond the same? (Hi, first name) Or should it keep it formal (Dear Ms/Mr). Sorry about all the questions - this is my first time with a partial :)

~Shiela

I don't think it really matters. I've done it both ways.

And I agree with what everyone else said about the gushing. This is a business correspondence which could, potentially, lead to a working relationship. Do be polite and confident and do thank them for their time and interest. Don't gush.

cate townsend
06-25-2010, 09:03 PM
You can't go wrong by corresponding with the agent like you would a potential business associate. Keep that in mind, and you'll be fine.

CaroGirl
06-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Polite and professional, yes. I do indulge in the phrase: I was delighted to hear you were interested in reading more (or the rest) of *my MCs* story. It might trickle or seep, but it doesn't gush. ;)

Shiela
06-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Wow - thanks for all the advice! It's more helpful than you know :) I'm much more confident moving forward now. Good luck, everyone, whatever your endeavors are!

~Shiela
officially partialed

Ruth2
06-25-2010, 09:29 PM
I respond in kind-- if they use my first name, I use theirs. I try to match their tone. No gushing or squeeing or anything like that.