Windscreen/Breathing question?

Kindness

Back From My Self-Imposed Exile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boyvsworld.blogspot.com
Basically there's a scene in my WIP where monsters land on a car and smash the windows (including the windscreen). What would the effect of this be on the people inside the car? Would they be able to breathe okay? (The car is going pretty fast.)

I just remember being in the passenger seat of a car with the window open. We were doing 60 I think, and I couldn't breathe cos of the wind coming in, but I'm not sure if it was the angle or what.

Oh, and the back window is broken too, (so the wind is rushing straight out).

Thanks! :)

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
um, wouldn't all the glass shatter all over them? I'd imagine that'd be the main problem if the window was smashed. Are we talking jurrasic park 'stamp on the car' action? you might want to rent it out for monsters smashing cars ideas :D

Last edited:

Kindness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nah, no stomping XD There are these creatures that corrode what they touch, they're about man-sized. They make the windows weaken and smash them, and then try to get at the MC and his mother and uncle, who are inside ><

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I think it'd just be terrifying. I don't think it would effect their breathing. Depending on how fast the car is moving, I suppose someone might be dragged out of a window, but otherwise just super scary

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mom (an old wife) often repeated the old wives' tale that a person falling to his death from a great height would mercifully suffocate before hitting the ground because "the air would be ripped from his lungs."

Sorry, Mom, but in your son's misspent youth, he was a skydiver. At speeds of around 120 mph (and more in "track" mode) all of us could breathe quite well.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
I've been in helicopters with the doors removed and at 100mph could still breathe perfectly fine. I think if the windshield of a car was removed, breathing wouldn't be a problem... but having big bugs hit you in the face would probably be more problematic. :D

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
Car glass does not work that way. Good night!
Modern auto glass is made to shatter into very small pieces. No big jagged edges, but you can still get cuts and scratches. The laminated winshields of a few years ago proved to be more deadly than standard glass, because a person's head could still go through at moderate to high speeds, and get severe facial and/or neck injuries.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Car glass shatters into tiny 'squares' - which fly all over the place at high speeds. Yes, they can still make small cuts to exposed skin, and would conceivably blind you if they hit your eyes.

No problems breathing at all with wind in your face, if you can't believe a skydiver, then believe a motorcyclist.

Kindness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've been in helicopters with the doors removed and at 100mph could still breathe perfectly fine. I think if the windshield of a car was removed, breathing wouldn't be a problem... but having big bugs hit you in the face would probably be more problematic. :D

Okay, now that's cool :D

Thanks everyone! This means I won't have to rewrite the scene ^_^ I'll have them notice a few cuts later, when the rush has died down, but nothing too big :)

RobinGBrown

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dogstarphotography.com
While there's no problem breathing at high speeds there is a problem with seeing. Motorcyclists, skydivers, and high speed racers all wear helmets/goggles/masks to protect the eyes. For myself I found that anything over 30-40 mph meant my eyes were tearing (producing tears) so much that my vision became quite blurred.

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, now that's cool :D

Thanks everyone! This means I won't have to rewrite the scene ^_^ I'll have them notice a few cuts later, when the rush has died down, but nothing too big :)

This is a picture of a shower door made of tempered glass that shattered. It's a little disturbing because there's some blood, but no actual wounded person.

http://consumerist.com/2010/06/glass-shower-door-explodes-all-over-consumer-journalist.html

This is what happens when a windshield shatters - there are sheets of plastic on both sides that hold the pieces in. If the hit is hard enough, the center of the "spiderweb" might fall in. Side windows could be much messier and more dangerous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Windshield-spiderweb.jpg

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
people ought to be able to breathe just fine at any speeds a car can go at.

They used to make airplanes with open cockpits, you know.