Outlander - by Diana Gabaldon

swolf

Registered
Reaction score
****** SPOILERS *******

If you haven't read the book, then you might want to skip this thread, because I'm discussing major plot points.

Ok, I was attracted to this book because of the time travel element, and I went in knowing it was written by a woman, with women being the primary intended audience. The sex scenes in the book are, in general, fairly tame, and might be considered erotic if you're into that highlander thing.

There's two scenes I'd like to discuss. The first one is where he beats her. Ok, spanks her. That one I get. As much as women are up in arms about spousal abuse, there's still the fantasy about being spanked. It works in a literary environment.

But the scene that really threw me for a loop was when the leading man gets raped by another man. Seriously? Is this something women are fantasizing about? The last 1/6th of the book is her nursing him over his trauma. Again, is this something that women dream about? Do they meet a guy and think, you know, I'd love to help him recover from being a** f*****?

I'm just not getting it. This book is obviously very popular, since it has about a gazillion sequels. And I don't think too many men are reading past the first one.

Any insights?

BTW, the time travel aspect of the story blows.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
Rape wasn't between the heroine and the hero. It was the villain in the story who did this - and it becomes integral to his development as a character. (see also, the opium scene later on when he tries to waste away or die because he feels less than a man and she has to "save" him.)

The spanking scene earlier was indicative of the time they were in. Women were not equal to men, and Jamie was the man in that time.

They aren't erotic, the book isn't erotica by any means and I'm confused as to why it's in this forum. :Wha:

Reaction score
I had more of a problem with the beating scene. It was not a spanking.

As for the anal submission scene? I completely understood why he did it.

I'm as confused as CheekyWench as to why this is in the erotica forum. It definitely is not of this genre.

For the record, I have read Cross Stitch at least four times.

swolf

Registered
Reaction score
Rape wasn't between the heroine and the hero. It was the villain in the story who did this - and it becomes integral to his development as a character. (see also, the opium scene later on when he tries to waste away or die because he feels less than a man and she has to "save" him.)
Yes, that's why I said he was raped by another man.

The spanking scene earlier was indicative of the time they were in. Women were not equal to men, and Jamie was the man in that time.

They aren't erotic, the book isn't erotica by any means and I'm confused as to why it's in this forum. :Wha:
I brought it up here to talk about it from the perspective of erotica. I was curious if woman found that to be a turn on.

And if a book has sex scenes in it, I'm not sure how you can say it isn't erotica by any means.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
And if a book has sex scenes in it, I'm not sure how you can say it isn't erotica by any means.

Um....other genres can have erotic/sex scenes in them.
A sex scene doth not an erotica novel make.

swolf

Registered
Reaction score
I had more of a problem with the beating scene. It was not a spanking.
I came away from that scene with the feeling the author enjoyed it thoroughly. I bet she was typing one-handed for most of it.

As for the anal submission scene? I completely understood why he did it.
Sure, it made sense in terms of plot, but my question is more related to why it was put in a book directed towards women?

I'm as confused as CheekyWench as to why this is in the erotica forum. It definitely is not of this genre.
I disagree. While it may not be pure erotica, it does have erotic elements.

Reaction score
Yes, that's why I said he was raped by another man.

I brought it up here to talk about it from the perspective of erotica. I was curious if woman found that to be a turn on.
I don't read Gabaldon's books because they turn me on sexually. I read them 'cause she's a damn good writer.

Being aroused certainly isn't a factor in my choosing to read Cross Stitch (as is its UK title) nor in my following her career since her first book was originally published in this country.
I came away from that scene with the feeling the author enjoyed it thoroughly. I bet she was typing one-handed for most of it.
You think her books are erotic? Hmm.

Sex is a part of life. People do it. Jamie and Claire do it quite a lot. One-handed typing? Uh...no. Just...not something I imagine Gabaldon doing.
Sure, it made sense in terms of plot, but my question is more related to why it was put in a book directed towards women?
Oh, here's a crazy idea - it was relevant to the story?

And why on Earth wouldn't it be put in a book directed at women? We don't need protecting from that sort of thing.
I disagree. While it may not be pure erotica, it does have erotic elements.
Jamie and Claire are married. It's okay; it's allowed.
I never said it was an erotica novel.
It isn't. It just isn't.

Gabaldon writes noisy, messy, dirty, stupid, embarrassing, desperate, sweaty, animalistic, romantic, loving, violent sex. Her work appeals to all five senses and doesn't romanticise everyday life in the 18th century. She has fans because of this - I am one. My autographed copy of An Echo in the Bone is one of my most treasured possessions.

Erotica? Pfft. Not by a long shot.

swolf

Registered
Reaction score
The erotica forum is for books who are in the erotica genre.

Welcome to AW and don't forget to read the Newbie Guide, taking special notice to post #2.
So, you're allowed to talk about the sex scene from Titanic here, but I'm not allowed to talk about Outlander?

Please take the stick out of your ass.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So, you're allowed to talk about the sex scene from Titanic here, but I'm not allowed to talk about Outlander?

Please take the stick out of your ass.

You really need to read the stickies before you start smart-mouthing people. Not exactly the best way to endear yourself as a new member, is it?

Reaction score
At the risk of being anally twigged, I will say this:

Cross Stitch is marketed as historical, or romantic fiction. Not erotica.

Having sex in a book may make some pages individually erotic, but no - sex in a book does not erotica make.

As for the Titanic hand? That was mentioned in a thread specifically geared towards discussing which little details in film ramp up the heat index. How we, as erotica authors can pay attention to the details, translate them into words and leave the reader breathless.

Gabaldon's books are not geared to the erotica market. Hell, Claire's a nurse and they're not fucking medical textbooks.

swolf

Registered
Reaction score
I don't read Gabaldon's books because they turn me on sexually. I read them 'cause she's a damn good writer.

Being aroused certainly isn't a factor in my choosing to read Cross Stitch (as is its UK title) nor in my following her career since her first book was originally published in this country.You think her books are erotic? Hmm.
Personally? No, I'm not into highlanders getting raped by other men.

Sex is a part of life. People do it. Jamie and Claire do it quite a lot. One-handed typing? Uh...no. Just...not something I imagine Gabaldon doing.Oh, here's a crazy idea - it was relevant to the story?
About as relevant as the Loch Ness Monster scene.

And why on Earth wouldn't it be put in a book directed at women? We don't need protecting from that sort of thing.Jamie and Claire are married. It's okay; it's allowed.It isn't. It just isn't.
You need protected from men raping other men?

Gabaldon writes noisy, messy, dirty, stupid, embarrassing, desperate, sweaty, animalistic, romantic, loving, violent sex. Her work appeals to all five senses and doesn't romanticise everyday life in the 18th century. She has fans because of this - I am one. My autographed copy of An Echo in the Bone is one of my most treasured possessions.
Well, I agree with the stupid part.

swolf

Registered
Reaction score
You really need to read the stickies before you start smart-mouthing people. Not exactly the best way to endear yourself as a new member, is it?
So, why are others allowed to talk about Titanic, but I'm not allowed to talk about Outlander?

swolf

Registered
Reaction score
At the risk of being anally twigged, I will say this:

Cross Stitch is marketed as historical, or romantic fiction. Not erotica.

Having sex in a book may make some pages individually erotic, but no - sex in a book does not erotica make.

As for the Titanic hand? That was mentioned in a thread specifically geared towards discussing which little details in film ramp up the heat index. How we, as erotica authors can pay attention to the details, translate them into words and leave the reader breathless.

Gabaldon's books are not geared to the erotica market. Hell, Claire's a nurse and they're not fucking medical textbooks.
But if the Titanic hand can be discussed, why not Jamie being raped?

If the rules here are that it must be complete erotica we're discussing, then let's follow them.

Reaction score
Personally? No, I'm not into highlanders getting raped by other men.
Surprisingly, neither am I.

Luckily, the reader isn't meant to get off on it. The reader is supposed to be horrified, and yet touched by Jamie's sacrifice.
About as relevant as the Loch Ness Monster scene.
I'm sure Gabaldon would appreciate your comments if you emailed her to let her know.
You need protected from men raping other men?
On paper? No. If I didn't want to read about it, I'd...oh...Lordy, I don't know...put the book down and stop reading? Or is that too left-field?
Well, I agree with the stupid part.
Ooh. I bet that would cut Gabaldon to the quick.

Reaction score

If the rules here are that it must be complete erotica we're discussing, then let's follow them.
I've already explained why the Titanic hand was discussed.

If you think Jamie being raped has any relevance to the erotica genre beyond your personal dislike of that scene, then great. Let's hear it.

How has it helped you or others become better erotica writers?

swolf

Registered
Reaction score
You know what, I just came on here to discuss an erotic aspect of a story, and it seems the clique here doesn't like that.

Ok, have fun you guys. I won't bother you any more.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

Because even if there are other scenes that are erotic, if that particular scene wasn't meant to be erotic, there's very little point in analyzing/discussing it from the point of view of it being erotic.

Reaction score
And we have a flounce.

Here's a tip or three: try not to accuse people of having sticks up their arses; they tend to switch off after that. They're too busy getting said stick out of said arse.

It's not a clique. It's just people reacting to snark.

If you want to discuss an alleged erotic aspect of a story rather than complaining about anal rape which is relevant to the story but not intended to arouse then please, tell us how that connects to the forum in which you posted.

Yes, the book is geared towards women. That does not mean anything involving anal shouldn't appear. Randall wanted Jamie. Jamie gave in to save Claire.

And for the benefit of anyone who's wondering WTF this is all about - the anal scene wasn't even shown!