Multiple agent request dilema

Guy Fawkes

Registered
Reaction score
I have been lucky in that multiple agents have expressed interest in my completed project. One agent asked to see the first three chapters if the project is still available, while another agent asked to see the entire book also if it is still available. Neither said anything about multiple submissions, but to me that is implicit in stating if it is still available.

Both agents are of similar caliber.

Is the correct thing to do send the entire manuscript to the agent interested in seeing it and send the agent interested in the first three chapters notification that the manuscript is in consideration with someone else?

I am concerned with burning bridges and being unprofessional.

If I send one agent the first three chapters and the other agent the entire book, what happens if the agent who requested the first three chapters wants to see more? If I tell him that someone else is considering the entire manuscript, he may get pissed off for wasting his time and not be interested in seeing more, so that if the agent who requested the entire manuscript passes, the one who wanted to see the first three chapters may not be interested.

I know this is somewhat of an enviable position to be in, but if one agent passes I do not want to have alienated an interested agent.

thanks

kaitlin008

Seeing newness all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kaitlinward.blogspot.com
It sounds to me like they both are saying that they'd like to see it, if you haven't already signed with someone. Unless they expressly ask for the submission to be exclusive, most agents don't expect you not to send your work to others who ask for it.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
It sounds to me like they both are saying that they'd like to see it, if you haven't already signed with someone. Unless they expressly ask for the submission to be exclusive, most agents don't expect you not to send your work to others who ask for it.

Ditto. "Available" means not yet represented; they expect that other people will be reading it, and unless they ask for an exclusive they're okay with that (actually, even if they ask for an exclusive they might be okay with that; mine asked for an exclusive but my full was already out with several others. I sent it anyway and explained, and he still read it and offered, so there you go).

You don't need to tell either of them at this point that other agents are reading it. Just send them what they ask for, and when and if someone offers you tell them you have other agents reading it and ask them for a few days to decide. Then you email the other agents to say you've gotten an offer and that you're going to make up your mind on X day if they'd like to review your ms and get back to you before then.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
I have been lucky in that multiple agents have expressed interest in my completed project. One agent asked to see the first three chapters if the project is still available, while another agent asked to see the entire book also if it is still available. Neither said anything about multiple submissions, but to me that is implicit in stating if it is still available.

Both agents are of similar caliber.

Is the correct thing to do send the entire manuscript to the agent interested in seeing it and send the agent interested in the first three chapters notification that the manuscript is in consideration with someone else?

I am concerned with burning bridges and being unprofessional.

If I send one agent the first three chapters and the other agent the entire book, what happens if the agent who requested the first three chapters wants to see more? If I tell him that someone else is considering the entire manuscript, he may get pissed off for wasting his time and not be interested in seeing more, so that if the agent who requested the entire manuscript passes, the one who wanted to see the first three chapters may not be interested.

I know this is somewhat of an enviable position to be in, but if one agent passes I do not want to have alienated an interested agent.

thanks

I suspect the "if it's still avail" is partly thanks to writers who've failed to notify agents when a project is no longer avail, if some agent blog posts I've read are any indication. (As Stacia mentioned, it just means if you haven't already signed with someone. She beat me to the punch.) But don't worry-there is no implicit in querying.

Unless their submission guidelines or request explicitly stated they wanted to be notified if the ms was out to others, you don't have disclose anything. Good luck with your requests!

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
You don't need to tell either of them at this point that other agents are reading it. Just send them what they ask for, and when and if someone offers you tell them you have other agents reading it and ask them for a few days to decide. Then you email the other agents to say you've gotten an offer and that you're going to make up your mind on X day if they'd like to review your ms and get back to you before then.

Exactly the right way to handle the situation---and that's coming from a former agent. Good luck to you!

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You should go ahead and send it to both. If they don't ask for exclusivity, then feel free. The "if still available" could mean many different things. It could just mean that it's been a while since you queried, and they wanted to make sure it's still available before they read it.

Guy Fawkes

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

You're fantastic and I appreciate your help.

At this rate you guys will be entitled to a percentage :)