Mice-phobes beware...

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I have a new friend in the house. A field mouse.

So, kill it, right? Of course that's what you'd do. Me, too. 'cept s/he looked up at me with her cute mouse face and said Hiya. With enormous (enormouse?) sweet brown eyes, she said, "Naw... you couldn't kill me. Cute little old me? Not in a million years...."

And she's right, dammit! Who knew they were cute?!

So how do you entice a mouse to move out of its own accord, lol? Or other suggestions? Maybe talk of jantavirus (sp?)? Dunno, but they are cute little buggers, dammit!

Anyone used those live traps with success? I have a whole huge field that is quite suitable for field mice, dammit!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kill 'em. Kill 'em all!:rant:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you do live trap it, drive at least past your neighbor's house before you release it, or it will just come back in.

I've had a mouse in my office for over a year. He routinely ate all the peanut butter off the traps, the bird seed, and the sunflower seeds. I breathe wrong on the trap and it goes off. I don't know how he escaped it so many times. Then one day I pick up my work boots, and out falls about a cup of sunflower seeds he stole from my stash. He deserved to live.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
There are traps you can get that won't harm them. It's a little box where you put a peanut or something inside, and when they crawl in, the trap door slides shut behind them. Drive it somewhere far away, release it. Voila! No more mouse problem. :)

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
There are also audio deterrents you can buy. It emits a signal too high for people to pick up on, but drives away rodents. I had mice in my garage, got one of those, and haven't seen one since.

I couldn't stand the thought of killing them. :( This was a nicer alternative.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Multi-catch live trap here. Easiest to use and clean for re-use.

Where there's one, there's many! :D And if they're foraging in the house (kitchen), there's probably a nest in the wall.

Yep, you will have to drive a distance to release and hope to not reacquaint!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
After our super-duper mouser kitty cat died, we did this:

There are also audio deterrents you can buy. It emits a signal too high for people to pick up on, but drives away rodents. I had mice in my garage, got one of those, and haven't seen one since.

I couldn't stand the thought of killing them. :( This was a nicer alternative.

They're ultrasonic, and there are several different kinds. We put one on each floor and one in the garage. Never saw another mouse in the house.

There are also natural repellents, like spearmint.

Oh, and I used a live trap once but the poor little guy was so darn scared it didn't seem fair.

(And I'm firmly in the mice-are-super-cute court. :))

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you are in a hantavirus area don't mess around and make sure you stay the hell away from any droppings.

If you live catch it take it at least 10 miles away before releasing.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That would be awesome if that worked! Thanks! And thanks for the live trap link, too :) No thanks on the kitties, lol. My little dog barks nonstop at them ;)

Chris, buy your little smart guy some cheese :D Then take him elsewhere...

Don't tell me there's a nest, btw! One is cute. Multiples get creepy really fast.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
awww, they're so cute, so I know how you feel - we had some coconut fibre (for hanging baskets etc) in our garage once, and we found a nest of babies inside. It was really sad actually, since the mother was so upset and hysterical, moving each baby to a new home one by one once she realised they'd been found.

My mum said she was on a walk once, and they stopped to take a rest near a big fallen log. They were sitting pretty still, and about ten field mice came out and started playing, running up the log, and then sliding down one of the twigs like it was a slide.

They're lovely animals, although you really do not want them in your home :(

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Update :D

It's a frickin Disney movie chez moi ;) The little mouse started sitting under a chair and watching me type every night, I talked to it a little, we hit it off...

Now I feed it leftover sandwich crust on a little teeny plate every nightfall. S/he eats it in front of me.

No, I'm not kidding.

I swear, I'll take it to the vet for a checkup in a week...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Kill the little fucker. Do it now before it has a chance to breed. You'll thank me later for saving you more trouble than that little fucker is worth.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Kill the little fucker. Do it now before it has a chance to breed. You'll thank me later for saving you more trouble than that little fucker is worth.

I can't!! I would, but I can't. I am putting poison up around the house.

I know if it's not just the one I'll be kicking myself. I know! I really think it's just the one (smart, cute, stupid adorable critter...)

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Reasons not to kill the mouse:

1. Squee!
2. It's so cute!

Reasons TO kill the mouse:

1. Hantavirus
2. Salmonella
3. Lyme Disease
4. Droppings in and around food prep areas
5. Super fast reproduction. Female mice have a three week gestation, producing 4 to 16 pups per litter. She can have 7 to 8 litters every year. If you see one mouse now, you can be sure if you don't do something about it you'll have hundreds in no time.

How cute will she be when she's joined by hundreds of her offspring, crawling all over the counters where you prepare your food?

I'm also in the "mice are cute" camp, but I don't let them live in my house. If you absolutely can't bring yourself to kill it, then at least get a live trap and take it far away to release it, then have someone inspect the foundation of your house for holes where more mice can get in.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So how do you entice a mouse to move out of its own accord, lol? Or other suggestions? Maybe talk of jantavirus (sp?)? Dunno, but they are cute little buggers, dammit!
Mice are not lone dwellers. Where you see one, there are several that you can't see. They will sneak around your house at night, chew into your food packaging, poop and urinate on your countertops, and generally just be an unsanitary addition to your environment.

I do know someone who got Hanta virus and almost died. It left him susceptible to pneumonia, too, which he was again hospitalized for this year.

Don't be fooled by cuteness.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
We have several outdoor and stray cats that I feed. They are the healthiest strays I know, though technically some of them aren't strays I guess. Anyway, since I have had them around, the mice stay away due to the natural predator/prey relationship. It makes me feel so much better than poisons or traps.

Before that, the funkiest incident I had with a mouse was the time I was less than sober and went to get some munchies out of the pantry. I opened the door, it flies off the shelf, bounces off my chest, hits the floor and scurries away. I sat there for like two minutes thinking WTF?

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Before that, the funkiest incident I had with a mouse was the time I was less than sober and went to get some munchies out of the pantry. I opened the door, it flies off the shelf, bounces off my chest, hits the floor and scurries away. I sat there for like two minutes thinking WTF?

Ha! I can beat that. I grew up on a farm, and some mice got into some spilled feed once. I was standing out there watching my parents cleaning up the feed, and a mouse ran up the INSIDE of my pant leg. I was four years old at the time. It's still my most vivid childhood memory. :eek:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh! My stepdaughter would so want to keep it. She loves all animals/insects/rodents. Yuck. Fortunately, we don't have mice. She did want to collect the ants we had for an ant farm though.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
There was a cute little mouse who would hang out on the window sill of my first floor apartment. I called him Basil. My kid decided it was a girl and renamed it Isabella. Then we realized there were two, Basil and Isabella. Then I started hearing scratching inside my walls. Then I checked and found a hole in the corner of my window frame. Then it became a little fucker that must die.

Me, I'm fond of the traps that kill them.

Live traps are useless. We tried one at a construction site after the fucker busted in and started eating my cookies, but it got in, ate the bait, and left.

Landlord put down poison on the weekend. Now, I have visions of rotting carcasses behind my walls.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Ha! I can beat that. I grew up on a farm, and some mice got into some spilled feed once. I was standing out there watching my parents cleaning up the feed, and a mouse ran up the INSIDE of my pant leg. I was four years old at the time. It's still my most vivid childhood memory. :eek:
That is hysterical!

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Landlord put down poison on the weekend. Now, I have visions of rotting carcasses behind my walls.

Ugh, pray they don't die behind your walls. There is no stench in the world worse than that of a three-day-dead mouse.

That is hysterical!

I certainly was, until my mom finally pulled the waistband of my pants away from my belly and the mouse ran right out the top. *snort*

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Live traps are useless.
QFT. At my old house I tried one of those glue traps. Mr. Mouse got one foot stuck in it and was running around the kitchen, dragging the thing. Before I could catch him he went under the fridge. The trap flipped sideways against the fridge and he used the leverage to free himself.

My favorite "livetrap" escapade happened to a boatbuilder. He felt sorry for the mice in his boatshop. (Same guy who later ended up with Hanta, BTW.) He caught one in a live trap, carried it far out into neighboring field and set it free. Then watched as it scurried straight back to the shop.

Live traps are for bleeding hearts and suckers.