medical torture question???

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
If all you really have at your disposal is a large hunting knife and a brilliant medical doctor, is it possible to paralyze a person so they cant move but can still feel pain?

The sisuation being killing a person slowly and painfully by stabbing them in the stomach but having them unable to move or scream?

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah,cutting the tendons would at least immobilize the limbs. He could still wiggle around, though. And he could scream.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose a skilled surgeon could cut the spinal column at the back of the neck, but I don't know who would sit still long enough for them to do it.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
They'd lose sensation too Don Allen.

Not really possible AMLPTJ, why not just gag them and tie them down?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I don't suppose there's any succinylcholine laying around? ICU Intensivists and Anasthesiologists are probably the only ones with access to it, and hospital pharmacies.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
It would be best to physically immobilize the person and gag him. then you can proceed with the death of a thousand cuts.

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
There are a number of anesthetics (like nociceptors) which could temporarily paralyze the victim (including his vocal cords) by creating localized nerve impairment or nerve damage.

RobinGBrown

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dogstarphotography.com
It seems the short answer is no.

To paralyze someone you need to block the nerve signals to the muscles, but those same nerve signals are used to send pain messages from the body to the brain.

Blocking the signal in one direction can't be done with a knife no matter how brilliant a medic you have.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I don't suppose there's any succinylcholine laying around? ICU Intensivists and Anasthesiologists are probably the only ones with access to it, and hospital pharmacies.
and vets- not nearly as controlled-

But yeah- not going to happen- bottom line- stabbing someone in the stomache with a large knife isn't going to paralyze them or stop them from screaming-

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone i figured it wasnt possible but just wanted to make sure. Looks like its back to restrain and gag.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm SO glad I don't have to explain some of these threads to the DHS.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
There are a number of anesthetics (like nociceptors) which could temporarily paralyze the victim (including his vocal cords) by creating localized nerve impairment or nerve damage.

I just saw this. It's called pavulon, paralyzes completely, you'd have to intubate your victim to keep him/her alive, but once you have him/her on a ventilator they will hear and feel everything but will look like they are sleeping and won't be able to move.

ETA: it just occurred to me that to see an effect on your victim you would have to wait for the pavulon to wane, then apply it again as needed, which may be a little impractical.... Way better to read Twilight as Noah has suggested. New Moon would be even better. Or watch the Time Traveler's Wife movie after having read the book and wonder how could anyone turn something so beautiful into such a lemon. Sorry, I think I just went off-topic...

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why not just have the inquisitor read passages from Twilight to the victim instead? :D

Spinal cord severed, pumped full of gas-passer drugs, tendons cut so you flop like a fish out of water . . . all fun stuff until you stepped over the line, Noah.

I read a few of Stephenie's lines and have been too terrified to read anything since.

Some things just aren't funny!

RobinGBrown

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dogstarphotography.com
As we're headed off topic...

I picked up 'The Host' (it was one for very few books available, okay) and I'm quite shocked at how poor it is. I wouldn't publish it without some serious rewriting, how does she do it?