Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
This is a topic of interest to me since I'm working at reissuing some of my older works on my own dime, which requires I give myself a crash course on the basics of cover art.

I'm a self-admitted control freak, but with reason. One of my publishers consistently provides excellent covers, while another just can't seem to get their act together. My books with them have had only a handful of covers that truly worked.

The rest were totally off the mark and even chased readers away. Time and again I'd get mail with, "The cover was so bad that it was the LAST thing I wanted to pick up, but since I'd read everything else I tried your book, expecting the worst..."

They were pleased that the insides were better than the cover, but still, it made me do this a lot: :Headbang:

In some cases where the art was better with the title was in large letters (yay!) but barely a tone off from the same color background. (Blue on blue, charcoal on black--just don't cut it!) While it would have made pretty wall art, it sucked at communicating to a browser trolling the aisles for something new.

This is also true for the spines. The title and my name are NOT visible unless you're a foot away, squinting hard, and know where to look. Similar books by other writers in my genre don't have that problem, which might explain in part why they sell better.

Yes, I've pointed this out (often!) to my editor, and asked for higher contrast or just plain white letters but had it dismissed. I'm just a writer after all. I was actually told--I kid you not and wish I was--"cover art isn't that important."

Had to bite my tongue. He was granting some changes and you learn to pick your battles, but I would have thought an editor with his level of experience would know better!

Much to my delight, the latest issue of PW has an article by Judith Rosen on cover production. She listed things I knew, but had never seen cited before:

A good cover has:

• a strong central image that communicates the feeling of the editorial
  • stands out on crowded shelves
  • a title large enough to read from space
If you're lucky, you get a kind of "branding" thing going. Excellent examples include covers for the Dick Francis mysteries. I can see those from the street when I drive past the store!

Whether you love or hate them, you can see Twilight covers from across the bookstore. They never grabbed me, but now I know what shelves to avoid.

The very night that I read the PW article I was channel surfing, and look--they were running an episode of Bravo's WORK OF ART. (Link below.)

I don't watch such shows, but this one had the artists attempting to do covers for classic book titles. Okay, that should be good for a laugh. Cover art for commercial publishing is a tricky thing, and if you don't know what you're doing, the word's "epic fail' come to mind.

First of all--spell the author's name right.

I felt sorry for that artist. She had a lovely partial nude of herself in a black and white ink/watercolor sketch. The figure is seen from the back, her bum covered by a sheet, and she's holding a Homburg hat.

In microscopic lettering: "Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin"

Oops.

She got the period dress--that hat!--wrong, I don't recall any nudity in the book, and damn, make the title BIGGER, you're selling a book, not your art. Give your ego the day off.

And it is spelled AustEn, dearie.

Don't bother blubbing, you could have looked it up. Even Wikipedia had that one correct.

Get the Genre Right

Another fail was a cover for The Time Machine, which featured cut out letters in an oval framing for a shadowbox effect. The framing was decorated in a wallpaper style with floral motifs, a human silhouette, and (OMG) a Teddy bear. (WTF???)

The Time Machine
is a dark story written for thinking adults, not a kids' book. I expect the artist thought "science fiction = kids" and perhaps saw a watered down version in the kiddie section of a bookstore. Or maybe a Saturday morning cartoon...

Yes, the critics reamed her a new one. That aside, the last thing a publisher wants is a wallpaper cover. Wallpaper is forgettable. If you DO remember it, it's usually for a bad reason.

You're doing cover art, not *Art*

It has to be commercial. You can get obscure, subtle, and cerebral in your studio, but a publisher wants something that will sell the damn book. No whining if the bean counters don't appreciate your lofty artistic aims.

The title was a messy looking watercolor with EDIRP & ECIDIUJERP in large letters.

Yes, I'm sure book browsers and annoyed students often wander around bookstores with mirrors in hand looking to decode Jane Austen titles.

The artist was trying to be different, which is great. But different doesn't have to mean bloody confusing. The artist got quite huffy at having to explain it was not a strange language. Sometimes one can be too clever. Well, she has her artistic integrity intact, but no check to deposit.

You can carry retro too far.

Back to The Time Machine. Another guy had a cubist-style "head" in shades of orange and red with a little ladder going up into the mess and thin, barbwire-style lettering.

He was praised for it, and one guy really loved the little ladder. To me it looked like something from the 50s-60s when you knew it was S.F. from the weird cover. Like this one:

That+Hideous+Strength.jpg
I have this edition of the book, and yes, I did indeed READ it, no thanks to the cover. In my case I bought the book in spite of that cover. What the hell IS that thing with the holes? There is concept and then there is WTF? Still, it worked. You'd never confuse that one with a romance or western.

This other guy's new work for The Time Machine put me off. He missed an opportunity. Steampunk is smoakin' HAWT now. Had he done research he might have put in brass gears, goggles, and a bit of sepia-toning to grab the attention of a new generation of readers.

Like this one:

610bnLOT5RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not perfect, but Steampunk fans will know to pick this one up for a look.

And anyway, the cubist look has already been covered in this 50th anniversary edition of another classic:

51h5hjQ5qJL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

FOCUS-FOCUS-FOCUS

There were two covers for Dracula. One was a stylized landscape. I liked it as wall decor, but it's a lousy cover. The lettering was small and lost against the busy art, which looked like a quilt pattern.

The second one for the same title nailed it. Simple blocks of color, a central image, and an overall feeling of creepiness and anticipation. You'll know it when you see it. Well done!

I also approve of the cover for The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Three faces of the main character are caught as though by a time lapse camera, each showing aspects of the man's changing nature. The lettering could be much stronger so it stands out from the background, but the art got the job done.

You can look at the rest of the covers for the show here.

I cited the ones that grabbed me; the rest were "meh" or missed the mark so far that it would take a longer post than this to explain all the wrong.

The good thing for me is that I have been following the rules with my own attempts at cover design. It is reassuring to a person who has just been following her instincts and studying what's in the bookstores.

No, you cannot tell a book by its cover, but more than once I've wound up with a horrible read because the danged cover did its job and got me to pick up the book.

Last edited:

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
The show is actually called WORK OF ART--The Search for the Next Great Artist is the tagline. It's one of my favorite shows, and I was so excited last night when I found out they were doing book covers.

I thought it was so interesting how many of them really neglected to address the issue of text and focused completely on the artwork; it just goes to show how different a book cover is from a traditional piece of art. As one of the critics said, the art on a book cover needs to support and highlight the text.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Those contest covers are about as good as a cover band compared to the original.

What was the person smoking who mangled Mary Shelley's name on Frankenstein? And why is the silhouette man coming out of a bloody ear?

Alice looks like it was drawn in 5th grade, but the lettering's nicely done.

I def. see the problem with P&P and the nudist hat.

Dracula looks kind of like a Japanese silk painting, which is the wrong tone completely.

The second P&P reminds me of a playbill. If they ever make it a musical, they know who to call for the advertising.

2nd Dracula's better, but it looks like someone bursting through theater doors or even hospital ones.

The 2nd Frankenstein I like A LOT. The frayed wire on the board looks great and kind of sinister.

Apparently, Jekyll and Hyde is next, but you can't really tell from the cover. It looks like a movie screen capture and at 1st glance, the blue stuff in the tube looks like a swimming beta.

2nd Alice is a fetus on a domino.

The scroll work Time Machine is just flat weird. Why's he blowing a heart shaped bubble?

The 2nd Jekyll and Hyde is better. It gives him a definite schizophrenic look and the colors fit the tone of the story.

The 2nd Time Machine's a geodesic dome. It looks more like something that would fit a movie poster for Logan's Run.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the very interesting post. I agree with you, they are too caught up in their own art to understand what book cover art is.

I wish you great success in finding what you want.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
The 2nd Frankenstein I like A LOT. The frayed wire on the board looks great and kind of sinister.

Though I didn't love his piece this week, (the top 2 on the show, the Dracula with the dripping blood, and the Time Machine that won, were my favorites) this artist is by far my favorite and, in my opinion, the most talented one on the show.

I take this show WAY too seriously, apparently :D

deserata

writerly painter
Registered
Reaction score
The bloody Dracula and the Time Machine covers were the only ones that actually looked like book covers. And they were fantastic.

I can understand why so many of the artists would neglect the title in favor of the image--they're not commercial designers, they're not trained to think that way. Or maybe they just didn't think hard enough. Some of them seemed to think they were above it (especially the batty old lady--glad she's gone!).

As an art student, I understand the snobbery of fine vs commercial art all too well. After taking some design courses myself I realized that commercial/graphic art was just as amazing as an art form and there's no reason to look down on those who do it for a living as if they've sold their souls. Norman Rockwell had a commercial career, yet there's no doubt in my mind that what he did was art.

Anyway, nice post, Gillhoughly. I find the art of book cover design fascinating.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Though I didn't love his piece this week, (the top 2 on the show, the Dracula with the dripping blood, and the Time Machine that won, were my favorites) this artist is by far my favorite and, in my opinion, the most talented one on the show.

I take this show WAY too seriously, apparently :D

You're not the only one. I love it.

I actually liked the winning cover. You couldn't ignore it if it was sitting on a table with forty other books. I also loved the Dracula cover and I really couldn't decide between the two of them.

I also loved Myles' interpretation of Frankenstein and I loved that he hid himself away to read the book.

I do think it has to be difficult for a fine artist to design a book cover. I guess that's why book covers are designed by graphic artists.

The pen and ink P&P artist was utterly clueless. It was lovely work but it had nothing to do with the book, which she seemed to have no idea about.
At one point she said there were 'tragic' elements in the book...really dear?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know how long it took me to figure out what "Edirp Ecidujerp" was? WAY TOO FLIPPIN' LONG!

The second Frankenstein and the second Dracula both appealed to me. The Jeckyl and Hyde was interesting (the photo one with the blue liquid), but the lettering was too small. I liked the watercolor Pride and Prejudice. Those are the only ones that would make me interested in the book if I didn't already know the stories.

Off topic (slightly) but just for grins and giggles I did a mockup cover of my WIP. All I can say is it looks POD. Dunno what it is, but there is something about POD cover art that sticks out. TOAP = text on a picture? It's clearer to me now more than ever that cover art is really important and not at all easy.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed YES. Commercial art and fine art are as different as commercial fiction and literary fiction--though it IS awesome when both come together. I have seen it done.

Guess I need to start watching that show! Some of those I saw in that sampling reminded me of the clueless batty types floating around my university's art building. (I refer, of course, to the teachers.)

Others remind me of the working artists I've met at conventions who make a living on their stuff. (They enjoy a good drink and kvetching about their publishers, just like me!)

I once wanted to be an artist, but what was in my head and what my hands produced just never matched up. Prolly just as well. Writing pays better.

Thankfully, Photoshop was invented, along with iStockphotos, so I don't have to worry about that so much.

I did learn the basics for composition that didn't involve nouns and verbs, and took some art history, so I can walk into any museum/gallery and not sound like a wholesale moron when giving an opinion.

Though for me the best art is beyond words.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Though for me the best art is beyond words.

This.

I do think Simon (the French guy) does have a real gift for putting his passion for art into words. There are so many things he's said that have me nodding and agreeing.

I also dabbled in Art but Dad wouldn't let me go to Art school. I did a few University Art History courses, with a view to majoring in it, but after doing one course in Baroque art with the most pretentious bunch of twats ever, I switched to History instead.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Excellent post. I didn't like my cover art either but had very little choice. I've already decided what I'd like on the cover of my current WIP and will fight for it tooth and nail. Despite the offputting cover, it still did okay but I know I lost potential readers. This is not just my opiinion. A member of The Ontario Library Association told me so.:cry:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Off topic (slightly) but just for grins and giggles I did a mockup cover of my WIP. All I can say is it looks POD. Dunno what it is, but there is something about POD cover art that sticks out. TOAP = text on a picture? It's clearer to me now more than ever that cover art is really important and not at all easy.

I did one for mine, too. I actually like it.

arclight-2-1-1-1.jpg

Anyone else game for sharing their attempts in public?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Having been married to a fine artist and borne another, there is a huge disconnect between "real" art and "commerical" art--my ex, for example, considered it beneath him to do commercial art even to keep his family fed. His art portfolio was fantastic; his commercial portfolio was non-existent. My daughter, on the other hand, is learning the rudiments of cover art and the commercial aspects of art in fiction through me. Having seen the struggles her father went through, she, at least, has no intention of following the romantic starving in a garrett aspect of her chosen career. I think she would have done very well in the book cover challenge last night. :)

But yeah--it was so obvious to me that few of these artists actually read the books. I have to give full props to Miles. Although timing out how long it took to read a page and figuring how long it would take him to read the whole book struck me as funny, he was smart enough to recognize that he couldn't create a cover if he hadn't read the book. While his cover was interesting, it wasn't a good cover per se.

But at least he understood it.

And that one chick who misspelled Austen's name should have been booted for sheer unadulterated stupidity. Unforgiveable.

And Peregrine with her teddy bear,floral, heart-ridden brown flew market horror of a cover for The Time Machine should be shot.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Tess Gerritsen at one time talked about how and her agent were able to get a cover changed. The book had been released in hardback, and the cover was designed for the larger size. But when it was scheduled to be released in paperback, she and the agent pointed out that the cover that had worked so well in hardback wouldn't be visible with the much smaller paperback. The publisher designed a new cover--very simple image and entirely violet.

Paperback: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345476980/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
The pen and ink P&P artist was utterly clueless. It was lovely work but it had nothing to do with the book, which she seemed to have no idea about.
At one point she said there were 'tragic' elements in the book...really dear?

Not to mention she called them "Elizabeth and Darby." Oh dear. It was clear she had no idea what the book was about. I kept thinking, "This is not Wuthering Heights. It's not a sexy erotic book. It's a comedy." I felt bad for her, but it wasn't her fault. I actually thought the cover was better than the judges thought it was.

But yeah--it was so obvious to me that few of these artists actually read the books. I have to give full props to Miles. Although timing out how long it took to read a page and figuring how long it would take him to read the whole book struck me as funny, he was smart enough to recognize that he couldn't create a cover if he hadn't read the book. While his cover was interesting, it wasn't a good cover per se.

But at least he understood it.

Though, to be fair, Frankenstein is not a long book. Those who got P&P had practically no hope of finishing the book in that time unless they're super speed readers.

It was quite unfair that some of the people had read the books and others had not--it gave some an unfair advantage.

I actually did not like the winner's cover. Too weird for my taste.

I think I liked the Jekyll/Hyde cover best, the one with the guy looking at the potion. Unfortunately, he made the writing so tiny you could never guess the book. I would have the picked the commercial Dracula one as well for total package.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see how it was unfair that some had read the books and others hadn't. in any situation, some people will be better prepared than others. Miles rectified the situation. That nude lady pretended she had read it when clearly she hadn't -- nothing she said about the book was right.

Clearly, the Dracula cover that came in second was most commercial but I could see why it didn't win. A) The Time Machine one, while very retro, was more creative and walked the fine art/commercial art line better (important for this show). B) The Dracula cover didn't fit the Penguin aesthetic or list well. Penguin classics have a brand of their own.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
The man who does my cover art has a degree in fine art from the University of Chicago. For many years he earned his living as a graphic/commercial/website/ artist. He read all of my books and the covers reflect that.
It seems reasonable, to me at least, that if an author is paying for cover art he/she should require that the artist read the book outline (if there is one) and the synopsis, if not the whole text. Having an author who is not a graphic artist instructing the cover artist on how the cover should look can often produce a less than happy result.
C

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did one for mine, too. I actually like it.

arclight-2-1-1-1.jpg

Anyone else game for sharing their attempts in public?

As if my SYW attempts aren't embarrassing enough! :D Sure, why not?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
In the real world for cover artists, they don't have time to read the book.

Sometimes they're told what the book is about from someone who heard about the synopsis from someone else.

"It's a romance, there's a cat in it, and I think the hero has a tattoo, or maybe it's a birthmark, on one of his arms or his back, and the girl is a vampire, or a witch, I forget, but just get the prelim sketch in by Tuesday."

Sometimes they're given an e-file of book, but at most they get the bare bones 3-page synopsis the writer sent in with her 50 sample pages. In the old days they couldn't expect to get a copy of a full 400-page manuscript!

Other times the artist doesn't read the book because they don't like the genre or the writer's work. (I'd hate to be the cover artist for a writer whose work I loathed!)

Some publishers discourage the writers from talking to the artists. One of my houses is like that. They're afraid the writer will put non-marketable ideas into the artist's head.

From the look of some of my covers, my ideas would only improve things.

The bottom line is time and money. The artist is given a theme for most books and turns the work in fast to get a check. This is what mid-list and debut writers can expect. "It takes place in New York, it's night, and there's a body. I don't know if it's male or female, just put in a damn body and leave room for the title."

Lead titles get more attention and discussion. They're the money makers.

With only one publisher was I able to change a cover. They'd picked out the wrong artist entirely for my book. I instinctively knew he would screw it up, no matter what. His style just was NOT right for the book.

Thankfully, the previous book's artist already had a finished painting. With one little tweak it would be perfect and hey, no waiting. So they went with him. Whew!

But that kind of thing RARELY happens with the larger commercial publishers. Too much money is riding on things.

Each department jealously guards their borders. An art director is as reluctant to take advice from an editor on the cover as the editor would be if the art director offered to help with the editing. To let such a crossover happen might make you look like you don't know how to do your own job!

But for classic books such as those used in this TV show, there is no excuse. The artists could have picked up the Cliff Notes in ANY bookstore. Duh.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
My point is that if I'm paying for the art work then I expect to get what I want. If that takes reading the book, oh well.
Now if a publisher is paying for the art work then all bets are off. Selling a book is like selling a car. What the new owners do with it is out of your hands unless a signed agreement is made before the sale that reads, for example, they can't paint the car pink or make a cover that doesn't reflect the story.

If an author re-issues his book(s) on his own dime I believe he/she should expect a cover to reflect the story.

I'm often baffled as to why publishers let this sort of thing slide when cover art is so important.
C

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved that episode and yes, I was screaming at the P&P girl when she said "It's...um...a romantic and um...tragic story." No, no, no! And then she started talking about nudity and I saw her with the hat and screamed Nononononono! Then she misspelled Jane Austen. Hated the cover!

I liked the two that judges picked and the 3 faced Dr. J & Mr. H cover. I think it was actually my favorite.

The wallpaper H.G. Wells was bizzaro.

And I actually had my editor go to bat for me over my cover. The first one was...not right. Let's just leave it at that.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm often baffled as to why publishers let this sort of thing slide when cover art is so important.
C

Ditto! That's why my jaw dropped when my editor of 20 years said "Oh, cover art isn't important."

Huh-what???

Serious. He was dead serious. Maybe he wanted me to disagree and have a bracing morning fight, then hang up before I could win. (It's happened.)

Like I said, I've learned to pick my battles. He was getting the most offensive detail about the art changed, but I'm not keen to sell more books to that house.

The other editors I've dealt with are not insane, and they don't dismiss my opinions. I'm treated like a professional (not blown off like a chatty kid) and they are polite. Good manners are free, after all!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
those covers looked, for the most part, like a GCSE art project.

Although, I really liked the dracula one with the blood. very striking,

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see how it was unfair that some had read the books and others hadn't. in any situation, some people will be better prepared than others.

That's true, but for the purposes of a show like this I believe they should at least make an effort to make it as fair as possible. It was clear that some knew the stories very well and others had no idea what the books were about. One guy even had a tattoo inspired by the book he was working on!

Still, the guy who won seemed to have no idea what his book was about. If I remember correctly he just said, "That's what my time machine might look like." Whatever, OK. Just make some random shapes.

That nude lady pretended she had read it when clearly she hadn't -- nothing she said about the book was right.

I don't recall her actually claiming she had read it. She said she had not read it. I think she was just confused. She tried to do a simple, generic romance cover. Not a bad idea actually, it just didn't work in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.