Help - hitting a wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, but I do have a few comments.

First of all, the query seems fine. You may want to stress a little more the fact that the book is about survival and overcoming hardship than the actual abuse.

On a similar note, having the word "Abuse" in the title may have been a shot in the foot as far as why people have apparently perceived it as you described. Calling it something like Ellie sounds much more approachable and brings the focus to the character, not the abuse. Even something like Ellie: A Story of Survival may have been wiser. I mean, to say it's a "Story of Profound Loss and Abuse" just seems too depressing to read, in my opinion.

But anyway, don't give up. Maybe there's some untapped market out there you just need to keep pining for. I wish you luck. :Thumbs:

Rose colored glasses

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. That was not my original title choice. The acquisitions editor stuck me with it. I did have some concern that it would hinder me.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Rose colored glasses, but I would agree with fedorable1 as well. My first thought when I read the title? "Ugh!"

Have you considered sending a few copies to regional newspapers? Specifically, to newspaper writers who cover human interest stories. Also, could you market the book at conventions or seminars for social workers and that type of thing?

ac

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Rose,
I think you need to rework your pitch. Currently you're pretty much just saying, "please read my book about how I was terribly abused," which isn't necessarily a selling point. If your book can be used by other people as inspiration or a guide to overcoming childhood abuse to become happy, successful adults, your pitch needs to reflect that. I would suggest tying your book's pitch into something newsworthy or timely. For example, if there is a national foster parent's day coming up, or an anniversary of the Children's Welfare Act, or any event that you can piggyback off of to pitch your book to papers or other publications as an inspiring story of triumph over the odds, that will help you get the book noticed. Saying in your pitch letter, "I think you'll find this useful," and not explaining in a sentence or two WHY they would find it useful doesn't work.

I agree with the others that the subtitle is an obstacle, so I would suggest not mentioning the subhead in your pitch.

Good luck!

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
I agree that "A story of survival" or something similar would have been a better title, but I also see that Publish America is responsible for that other title. I think, from everything I've read here and elsewhere, that your chances of getting reviews for a PA book are slim.

Wishing you all the best with this, being a survivor myself. Warm blessings.

Chris (aka Torin)

Literary Escape

Hello Deb,

Perhaps you should look at some of the abstract descriptions in your pitch. It isn't very clear what the book is really about. Saying something like, "An inspirational book," or "Survival of abuse," is such a big concept to relay. Perhaps a brief description of the character, or something detailed about the story might help to sell it a little better. For example, "This is a story about a young girl who climbs out of the sludge of psycological and physical abuse by..."

Um, I want to illustrate that I am NOT any kind of expert, but that I am just giving a 'reader response.' This is just my opinion based on the fact that any story, whether fictional or not, is usually character driven. If you can somehow get your prospective buyers to want to know more about the character of your book, you will definately win them. Make sense?

It sounds like you have a powerful message to get out there. Best of luck to you!!

Epicman

I said What!?!?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cometogetherbooks.com
an idea...

Rose,

I spend about an hour or two targeting a city (like LA one night and Seattle the next) and I Google newspapers - you could do universities and schools of social work. Anyhow I personalize the first few sentences then let the press release talk. I pasted mine in here - I know I have a totally different topic but the style I used has been effective so far - like a news article. Take a look:

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TITLE: Intelligent Design, Evolution, and Creation Debate Solved!

CONTENT:

“The Scientific Theory of Intentional and Intelligent Design” and “The Theory of Intelligently Designed Human Evolution” have been released by author/scientist Glenn S. Hamilton of the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond, Oklahoma.

The recent controversy brought by President George W. Bush’s statement of support for the teaching of Intelligent Design theory in the nation’s classrooms precipitated the early release of Hamilton’s new book: “Come Together: Creation and Evolution Joined” ISBN: 190536329X. Being printed simultaneously in the United States and Great Britain the book is currently available at over twenty on-line book vendors world-wide including the popular Amazon.com site.

“The debate over Creationism, Evolutionism, and now Intelligent Design (ID) has been a largely non-productive and at times an even vicious debate,” according to Hamilton. Further adding to the debate is the recent decision of the Kansas State School Board to investigate the teaching of ID theory in the state’s public schools. “The President and the Kansas school board have both been criticized for supporting a philosophical or religious view that has nothing to do with science,” Hamilton asserts. The author’s theories are based upon scientific methods and Biblical support then presented in a “politically neutral” tone that will keep all sides of the debate satisfied. Glenn Hamilton’s own struggles with the opposing viewpoints as both a Christian and a scientist gave rise to “...exhaustive and intense investigations that have led to the formulation of my theories.” Hamilton asserts that his toughest critics will be the Church and State separatists who he believes will be satisfied with his politically neutral terminology.

The author, using his concept of “Universal Understanding in Plain English,” presents his theories without all the confusing technical jargon prevalent in comparable works. “I wanted to ensure a delivery of my theories to the masses without the possibility of mistranslation and the resulting misconceptions,” Hamilton says. Many of the controversies and debate surrounding Creationism, Evolution, and ID are the result of long-standing misconceptions that have their origins in mistranslations of the extremely technical language of science that most of the hypotheses and theories are presented in. Hamilton, with the release of “Come Together: Creation and Evolution Joined” challenges scientists to translate their work for mass consumption to avoid the possibility of mistranslation by others. “My purpose in writing the book was two-fold: to deliver my theories in understandable terms and to challenge scientists to do the same with their own theories,” asserts Hamilton.

The author maintains a web site where additional information and an on-line book store are available: www.ComeTogetherBooks.com and is readily available for interviews, questions, or comments.

CONTACTS: Glenn S. Hamilton: [email protected] or (405)802-9345

Come Together Books: [email protected]

It may work to present it this way to build the excitement - I used to be in sales - Real estate - building excitement is key to selling.

I hope this helps.

Epicman
Glenn S. Hamilton
http://www.cometogetherbooks.com

Status
Not open for further replies.