Encl SASE on Full Sub?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
If you're sending a snail mail full of your manuscript to an agent who requested it by email, do you include a SASE or just assumed you'll get the rejection via email? What about if you receive the request for the full via snail mail?

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I always sent a SASE when I snail mailed something, regardless of how the request came. Only once did I get an R back via email; most agents used the SASE.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I send a small letter sae for the rejection slip, and a note asking for the ms to be added to the companies recyling should it be not to their liking.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I always sent snail mail fulls with an SASE. No one ever used one; every rejection/response came back via email.

I want my SASE's back. :(
Me too! It's probably a best practise to send it, but I picture agents steaming perfectly good stamps off my envelopes and using them for personal correspondence. :)

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check the agent's website. Occasionally, and agent will specify that no SASE is necessary if you include an email address for response (I've seen this even when a full was going snail). Lacking that specific instruction, I'm with all above. I also sent a business-sized SASE for response only.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I never sent a SASE with the full. All the agents responded by email, even the ones who already had a SASE from partial that turned to full request.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it's fair to assume that when requesting your full the agent didn't say anything about a SASE -- kind of makes sense. Check the website and see what, if anything, it says about SASE. Whatever the circumstances, if your work is rejected (I hate to even say it) and you definitely want your full returned, you should mention it in your cover letter. Personally, since I never want anything returned to me by my agent or a publisher I always mention that whatever it is, is disposable.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you're sending a snail mail full of your manuscript to an agent who requested it by email, do you include a SASE or just assumed you'll get the rejection via email? What about if you receive the request for the full via snail mail?

Send SASE. It costs almost nothing, and guarantees you'll hear from the agent.

But you should assume you'll get an acceptance, not a rejection. Bad vibes lead to bad results.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
My experience was similar to Chaos's: I'd send an SASE, but the responses were delivered via email, and my materials weren't returned in the SASE I'd provided. If I were sending one again, I'd include a letter SASE, and ask that the pages be recycled after reviewing.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I always request an SASE, because I often like to write stuff in the margins of a manuscript. If the author doesn't want the MS back, s/he can include a small return envelope for my reply. If the author wants the MS back, s/he must include an SASE. If not, I encourage them to print the MS on scrap paper, or even print it on both sides, double spaced, to cut down on the amount of paper I have in my office.