PDA

View Full Version : ESPN "30 for 30" Documentaries

Jcomp
06-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Has anyone else caught these? The last two weeks have been excellent. The "June 17, 1994" doc about the surreality of the OJ low-speed chase was hypnotic, and last night's "The Two Escobars" about Pablo (drug kingpin) Escobar and Andres (soccer star murdered for an own-goal in the World Cup) Escobar was captivating and heart-wrenching. It was like a greek tragedy. Magnificent. Anyone else see it?

Shadow_Ferret
06-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Haven't seen them, but I rarely watch ESPN. I remember that low speed chase. We were in a bar watching it, finding out that my childhood hero was accused of a possible murder.

Luckily we found out he was not guilty. :D

Jcomp
06-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Haven't seen them, but I rarely watch ESPN. I remember that low speed chase. We were in a bar watching it, finding out that my childhood hero was accused of a possible murder.

Luckily we found out he was not guilty. :D

Ha. It's funny you mention the "childhood hero" aspect, because for some younger cats (I'm going to take the liberty to classify myself as such) "OJ the murderer" is damn near the only impression we have of him. The documentary does a fairly good job early on of briefly showing how beloved and popular OJ was once upon a time. It's sort of odd to think he wasn't always a grim punchline.

Also the doc recaps some stuff that's often forgotten about the whole chase. Like how it was largely presumed that OJ was about to commit suicide, and how there were people lining the highway cheering as he drove past. Just bizarre.