Question for those of you that have been published...

Paranormal_Writer

Nearly always write!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lucyjonesauthor.blogspot.com
Hi everyone,

My agent started submitting to editors a week ago, and I havn't heard anything from her yet. The thing is, I have no idea how long it usually takes editors to read the manuscript and get back to the agent if they like it.
I was just wondering, how long did it take you to get an offer from an editor? Is it too soon to email my agent and ask if anyone's showed any interest in my manuscript or if we've collected any rejections yet?

I'm so nervous and I hate not knowing what is going on and all this waiting!! Arghhh!!!

Any replies will be very much appreciated. Cheers.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still in the agent query stage but one week sounds incredibly short to me. I imagine the frequency of updates you receive on the progress of your manuscript depends on your agent, your relationship with your agent and how much the agent has to report to you.

The best advice I've had to make the waiting go by faster is to work on your next project. Good luck!!!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
it can take hours, it can take weeks.

a week is a short time, espeically at this time of the year when alot of people are on holiday etc. so don't sweat it.

keep us updated though, we love hearing how folks are getting on.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
My series sold in 6 weeks, and we considered that pretty dang fast by publishing standards. I have friends whose books were on sub for almost two years before they sold.

Keep in mind that right now, editors are going on summer vacations, various conventions, etc. Things are moving fairly slowly and a week is like an eye blink.

I would make a pretty safe assumption that your agent will email you when there's news. However, that's probably something you should address with your agent. Tell them how often you'd like to be updated, if you want to know about the rejections, things like that. Don't be afraid to talk to your agent. I'm 90% certain they don't bite. ;)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
My first series sold in about four weeks, and my second (secret) series (after first series editor passed on it as an option book) sold in about two weeks. Both were incredibly fast. The second series sold so quickly, because I was no longer a debut author and the editor who bought it had been interested in the first series so I had an in with her.

A week is nothing. :) It can take anywhere from a week to several months before an editor gets back to you, depending on their current workload.

And good luck!

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Get used to waiting and silence. :D Some books get bought in days, others in weeks. Sometimes it takes years, and sometimes it never happens. I've been on sub for months, and the editor passes trickle in.

Do talk to your agent about how she plans to update you with news. Some agents will send everything your way; others won't unless you specifically request it. So you need to be clear.

And hang in there. A week is nothing, especially given the time of year.

Paranormal_Writer

Nearly always write!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks to all who replied. I'll *try* to stop worrying and just concentrate on my second novel :)

Would love to hear other people's stories though.... thanks.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
My first was read, and an offer made, the same day she received it, but only because the editor had a hole to fill, and had to fill it yesterday.

But it can take days, it can take weeks, or it can take months. I know one case where a very large publisher took two years, and this for a book by an already published writer.

I know it's tough, but it's best to bury yourself in your next book, and forget about this one. You can't control what happens with the book in submission. You can control how fast the next book gets written.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Like others have said, you can't tell, and lack of early interest is no indicator of whether or not the book will sell.

Mine had an editor interested after two weeks, but she wanted revisions before she was willing to take it to the acquistions meeting. That process took another two months, then there was a nerve-wracking waiting period for the meeting to actually happen, which took about 3 weeks.

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
I have a friend who's had a book with an editor for a year or more. They keep getting updates (I think every few months) from the editor that they're still interested, they just haven't gotten to it yet. So yeah, I'd say a week is way too short to start bugging your agent. Give it a month; then I'd think it would be reasonable to send an email and ask for an update on who it's been sent to, if anyone's gotten back to them yet, etc.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I've had rejections within two weeks, and a sale at over a year on sub. It's impossible to pinpoint.

You can always ask your agent these sorts of things too, you know. They don't bite. :)

Monlette

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
One major publisher passed after 10 days. The others have had it for about a month.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do talk to your agent about how she plans to update you with news. Some agents will send everything your way; others won't unless you specifically request it. So you need to be clear.

And hang in there. A week is nothing, especially given the time of year.

I'll second Ink's recommendation that you communicate with your agent and agree between you as to when and how he/she will communicate information to you - ie, will your agent email the minute there is any news, email once a day when there is news, only summarize or forward the entire email from the editor on passes, etc.

Then, when you know what to expect, you at least can stop wondering whether you should ask - because you will know when and how you will receive information.

I'm on submission on my first novel now, so I understand the anxiety and waiting, but once you are clear with your agent on communication, it will at least give you clear expectations and reduce the need to ask, because you'll know.

good luck.

~suki

Paranormal_Writer

Nearly always write!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Suki,

Thank you, I did email her and she just replied saying that all of the editors are on holliday so it's going to take a bit longer before we get any innitial reactions. That's stopped me worrying a bit - there may not have been any interest yet, but there's been no rejections either! Hurray! Now just gotta get on with book 2... and try not to check my emails every five mins hehehe... :)