PDA

View Full Version : Questions about multiple submission and etiquette

Sakura-chan
06-23-2010, 02:10 AM
Hi. I have a whole lot of questions to ask and I just want to apologize in advance for the length. Please bear with me.
I recently sent out a submission for a manuscript, but because I kept getting rejections or the dreaded no response, I decided to put it to bed and focus on another manuscript. So. I sent out queries for a different piece of work and that is when an agency contacted me for my first manuscript (the one I gave up on). They asked for exclusivity, which I gave them. A couple of days after the exclusivity ended (with me not hearing from them), a different agent asked to see my second manuscript, which I gave to her.
My first question is, should I contact the first agent and let them know someone is looking at that second manuscript? I wasn't planning to contact the first agency for another 30 days in order not to seem impatient. Also, if there's exclusivity on one project, should I consider the second project to be in that state as well?
On to the next batch of questions. Is it possible for someone to have 2 agents? The reason why I ask is because my first manuscript is an African-Canadian romance while my second one is a paranormal romance. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems that US agents don't really represent the former (even I have to ask myself if there's such a thing as African-Canadian romance) and I know from looking on the website of one agency, that they don't represent genre romance. Yes, I know what you're thinking and I'm thinking it too: why did they want to see my first manuscript? (*sigh* I have a bad feeling.)
Where was I...
So, taking the extremely optimistic approach... If the two agents contact me, should I try to feel them out and ask if they would represent me if I went into another genre? Or find out from them what is the normal protocol for such a situation? Or do I just shout "yes" excitedly and run off into the sunset laughing hysterically, waving pages of my manuscript overhead? (Sounds like a poll.)
If this has been addressed before, I'm sorry for bringing it up yet again. Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can give.

waylander
06-23-2010, 02:29 AM
There is no need for you to contact the first agent about the request for your second manuscript. What you could do is drop the an e-mail to say that as the period of exclusivity has expired you will be resuming querying manuscript 1.

It is most unusual to have two agents. Normally when the situation arises that a client has a manuscript in a genre the agent doesn't handle they will pass them on to a colleague for that manuscript.

In general agents are less comfortable with clients who hop genres. It is difficult to take your readership with you and they prefer that you consolidate your position in one genre before you attempt to crack another.

Sakura-chan
06-23-2010, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the answer, waylander. Thing is, in terms of the first agency, no one handles genre and I would think a US agency would have more difficulty selling a Canadian novel (but what would I know). Thanks again.

Mtngt
06-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Or do I just shout "yes" excitedly and run off into the sunset laughing hysterically, waving pages of my manuscript overhead?

Definitely this. ; )