UK Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
That's a much more comfortable arrangement of the deck chairs. Viewing the icebergs should be much more enjoyable from that viewpoint.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Can't say I'm surprised VAT is going up. At least Her Maj can sleep easy, safe in the knowledge there's no decrease in the Civil List. :Shrug:

Reaction score
Most of her money is private wealth, much like Prince Charles's £££ from the Duchy of Cornwall.

Also, George Galloway is the original Gorgeous George.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Can't say I'm surprised VAT is going up.

The printers must have accidentally deleted the relevant pages of their manifesto. Or they're lying fuckers.

And I have a word to describe the Liberals, but I won't use it here.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
They're lying fuckers.

I thought that was the dictionary definition of politician?

Tax credits: Reduced for families earning over £40,000 next year. But low income families will get more Child Tax Credit - the amount per child will rise by £150 above the rate of inflation next year - at an annual cost of £2bn.

Ha, take that SIL using her humongous tax credits to pay for the au pair!

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I thought that was the dictionary definition of politician?

Labour told the truth: it was going to raise national insurance. The Tories and Liberals denounced it as "Labour's jobs tax". As if VAT wasn't one.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Nick Griffin has lost the respect and trust of a lot of people in the last couple of months.

Not that he appears to give a shit.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Is he still alive? Hasn't the BNP's PR man taken him out yet?

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
It lied about how much debt we were in though;)

They used the same set of figures as the Whigs are using. They just didn't think collapsing the economy and slaughtering the poor were laudable policy aims.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
They used the same set of figures as the Whigs are using. They just didn't think collapsing the economy and slaughtering the poor were laudable policy aims.

So why did they do it then? The economy was on the brink of collapse at the election. I'm poor and they frigging slaughtered me.

ETA: At least this lot are being equal opportunity and have atting the richer peeps too.

They are at least attempting to reduce the ridiculous deficit left by labour. What do you propose they do instead? Make it worse?

Shall we agree to differ?

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
What do you propose they do instead? Make it worse?

You don't try to cut deficits in a recession. It's basic economics, explained by Keynes' Paradox of Thrift. Labour already had a deficit reduction plan, one which was dangerous enough. The most skillful deficit reduced in history was Bill Clinton, and he did it by getting a boom going, then tackling the finances. Doing it the other way round doesn't work because the people you throw out of work stop buying stuff (causes recession) and claim benefits (causes rise in deficit). These things have lags attached, so expect 2012 to be a right giggle of a year.

Anyway, in short, this budget is unjustified, dangerous, spiteful, economically moronic, Whiggish buffoonery, and Osborne's face looks like a scrotum.

Shall we agree to differ?

Oh, all right then. I'm going to play some old Tory recession classics - Ghost Town, Stand Down Margaret and Shuttapa Your Face.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You don't try to cut deficits in a recession.

Worked in the Canadian plan in the 1990s

Anyway, in short, this budget is unjustified, dangerous, spiteful, economically moronic, Whiggish buffoonery, and Osborne's face looks like a scrotum.

Swap Whiggish for 'X party of dislike' and it's the same as most other budgets. Some will hate it whatever you do. Some people will lose out. Some more than others. This budget is better for low income workers (large portion of the poor) than it is for middle or high income workers (the rich).

Oh, all right then. I'm going to play some old Tory recession classics - Ghost Town, Stand Down Margaret and Shuttapa Your Face.
Ah, the days of my youth...

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Worked in the Canadian plan in the 1990s

They happened to be next door to an economic superpower experiencing a boom. I'm not sure I see one in our vicinity, unless the Eurozone experiences a huge, thoroughly unexpected boom.

This budget is better for low income workers (majority of the poor) than it is for middle or high income workers (the rich).

The VAT rise says you're wrong. VAT hits the poor much harder than the rich.

Swap Whiggish for 'X party of dislike' and it's the same as most other budgets. Some will hate it whatever you do. Some people will lose out. Some more than others.

25% cuts in the education budget don't come about every year. This is a once in a generation piece of lunacy by a man with no economic experience. This is Howe's 1979 budget, or Healey's in 1974. Pure stupidity.

Anyway, you wanted the Tories, you got 'em. Enjoy.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
They happened to be next door to an economic superpower experiencing a boom. I'm not sure I see one in our vicinity, unless the Eurozone experiences a huge, thoroughly unexpected boom.
/quote]

True. But labour already tried spending to create a boom and we ended up in worse debt.

The VAT rise says you're wrong. VAT hits the poor much harder than the rich.
ETA; Have googled. Hmm. I did discover that Labour proposed the exact same rise...

Although this little graph provided by the Beeb says the people paying most extra vat are not the poor...in fact those worse off as a % of their incomes are the middle earners. I earn less than 10k, so will be between £50 and £100 a year worse off. But the new tax allowance means I'm £170 better off. So the working poor are not automatically worse off. Pensioners yes. Poor buggers. Oh wait, they're getting a small rise too, and the earnings link restored. Dearest Papa calculates he might be £20 a year worse off

All a bit inconclusive really.

Anyway, you wanted the Tories, you got 'em. Enjoy.

I didn't vote Tory. And whoever we got couldn't have screwed me worse than Labour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.