PDA

View Full Version : Occupation question - business

gracemichael
06-21-2010, 07:58 PM
My MC is 39 and has a job where he travels extensively, makes a mid-to-high six-figure salary and is used to the finer things in life. I originally thought he was going to be in sales somehow, but that isn't working out. He needs to be able to just leave his job and live on the money he's made so maybe something where he's an independent contractor of some type. I could always make him a CEO and just quit his job when the time comes, but are there other suggestions my fellow AW'ers might have?

alleycat
06-21-2010, 08:18 PM
He could own an art auction house that specializes in high-quality art and artifacts (think of a smaller version of Christie's). He travels to arrange the sales of artwork such as old masters, and also hobnobs with the rich and formerly rich.

Kathleen42
06-21-2010, 08:24 PM
My MC is 39 and has a job where he travels extensively, makes a mid-to-high six-figure salary and is used to the finer things in life. I originally thought he was going to be in sales somehow, but that isn't working out. He needs to be able to just leave his job and live on the money he's made so maybe something where he's an independent contractor of some type. I could always make him a CEO and just quit his job when the time comes, but are there other suggestions my fellow AW'ers might have?

Someone could have bought his business (or the business he worked for) and he might have stayed on for a period of time to assist with the transition. Maybe.

jennontheisland
06-21-2010, 08:26 PM
39 might be a bit young for a CEO. A VP of something might work. They tend to be a little more invested in companies though, and just getting up and quitting is a little rare.

Sales guys are often involved in business development and streamlining financial aspects of companies, so he could do consulting along those lines once he quits. Sales is a virtually disposable position. If they aren't performing, they get fired. If they are, they're courted by competitors. It's the kind of job that someone can just leave without looking back or having to deal with turnover to the new guy since once you're gone the company doesn't want you to have access to their proprietary information, or client lists. (Though a good sales person will have that saved on the side anyway).

Noah Body
06-21-2010, 08:40 PM
He could have been a technology guy who hit it big... think Sergey Brin from Google, who's still a punk. Albeit one with a billion or so in net worth...

DeleyanLee
06-21-2010, 08:46 PM
A friend of mine founded a computer business out of college and became the CEO out of the group. By age 30, the company was bought by a computer mega-giant and he became a multi-millionaire. Went off and started another company, believe it or not, repeated the process. He's now retired at 45 with more money than brains--and that's saying a LOT.

A CEO of a company he founded by age 39 sounds totally doable to me. CEO of a family company by 39 is also doable.

Actually, anything is doable if you write it right. *shrug*

waylander
06-21-2010, 09:26 PM
IT contractor with high level niche skills.
I know of guys like this who work October - April and spend the summer travelling because they earn enough in 4 months to do so and their skills are always in demand

Tsu Dho Nimh
06-21-2010, 10:27 PM
My MC is 39 and has a job where he travels extensively, makes a mid-to-high six-figure salary and is used to the finer things in life.

A highly skilled programmer who works as a consultant. I know one who bills as much as a lawyer, but has lower expenses.

Your MC could have come from an old-money family, or worked for a rich family, to get his experience in the finer things.

Or give the guy a small trust fund from Great Auntie that he will get control of real soon.

Bing Z
06-22-2010, 06:13 AM
What is the problem with sales? Say, he can be a carpet salesman and his uncle/cousin is head of procurement at Bank of America/World Bank. He becomes major account sales when he secures a standing contract from BoA/WB. He makes good money, lives a lush life and travels a lot... all goes well until his uncle/cousin is fired. Now his salary can't even cover the operating & maintenance costs of his Porsche and yacht. Luckily he's been investing his spare monies well... been buying Apple stocks since 2002 because he loves to eat apples.

gracemichael
06-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! I think I really like Alleycat's idea about the art auction house ... not one I would have thought of but it actually fits into some of the thoughts that he's already had.