do I have an audience?

ileana

Registered
Reaction score
Small mountain town (Austria), via Madrid, Dallas,
Hello,

amidst the many projects I have begun is one with which I have truly fallen in love. It is a story in ryhme that would appeal to children (especially girls) and most likely work well as a picture book. though i am not so sure about the age group (5-9?), I am concerned that it may be a bit too difficult for a child to read alone. I always pictured a parent reading it aloud to a child before bedtime, but then again, I have no children and am a bit out of touch as to what kids that age like or can handle (please don't tell me to go to a bookstore to check out the different books there...i live in a small mountain town in Austria--no bookstores here).

What are my options? Do I even have a children's audience here? I know it is difficult without a sample of the work, but think of it as Benet's Mountain Whipporwill (it is not a comparison by any means, but it can give you an idea as to the style) with a very fairytale like story fueling the rhyme.

best regards and thanks for your input.

ileana

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
Without seeing the poetry you've written, it's difficult to answer. If the poetry is difficult for middle-graders to read, it's probably too difficult for them to understand.

That being said, I guess you could take the extreme and say, "Mary Had A Little Lamb" is too difficult for a pre-schooler to read, but they certainly can understand it. But that's probably a bad example.

I would suggest joining an on-line or e-mail critique group. There are many on the web. Post your poetry to the members of the critique group and ask for their honest opinions. But be ready for honest opinions. It's though those honest opinions that one can improve and perfect his work.

Good luck.

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind that picture books are meant for adults to read to children. The vocab and sentence structure is more difficult (generally) than easy readers. Picture books are for the pre-school, Kindergarten, and early grades. Easy readers are for a similar audience, but to be read by the student.

Since you can't get to a bookstore, I would cruise around the internet. There are plenty of children's writing sites. Here's an online mag for kids that will give you a little idea of what they like to read or have read to them: http://www.weeonesmag.com/

Your book would probably be more complex, but you get the idea.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ileana

I have three kids up to age 7. A girly rhyme? I would say 3-7. Depending on the content I think 7 would be pushing it a little. You go girlfriend.

writerterri

ileana

Registered
Reaction score
Valona said:
I would suggest joining an on-line or e-mail critique group. There are many on the web. Post your poetry to the members of the critique group and ask for their honest opinions. But be ready for honest opinions. It's though those honest opinions that one can improve and perfect his work.

Good luck.

Hi and thank you for the responses,

To follow up on Valona's advice about joining an online critique group... Does anyone know of any reputable ones out there? I am new to this and would hate to wind up in the wrong neck of the woods. Also, what about people stealing your work or ideas? Is this a problem in such groups?

best regards,

ileana

Last edited:

SindbadtheSailor

mirror it on every tear
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ileana!

I've also written a very similar thing as you. It is a small play in rhyme that I wrote in 3-4 hours of inspiration. It is for children and very amusing to adults as well. Kindly inform me if you gather any information on marketing this class of work.

Thank you.

Sindbad

sruble

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sruble.com
I know you can't go to bookstores Ileana, but does your town have a library you could do research at?

2 online critique groups I have heard about, but have not yet tried. (The second one is for BOOST that Inspired was talking about.) I have not heard about people stealing ideas there. I'm sure they have info on their guidelines and who to send questions to, so you could always ask about that before you send something in for a critique.
http://www.critiquecircle.com/
http://boost4writers.com/

Another thing to do would be to write the story that you are wanting to write, and then worry about where to send it and what age group it fits. Chances are it will change and grow as you write and rewrite it, and in the end might be a perfect fit for a picture book, or a poem for a magazine, or even a chapter book.

Happy Writing!

And Sinbad, you might want to check out CWIM (Children's Writers and Illustrators Market) to see where to send your story.

ileana

Registered
Reaction score
thanks again..

hi,

actually the story is 3/4 to 5/6 written...i just need to write the ending. as to a library...the town had one once. unfortunately as the town's main industry died off and many moved, the library closed. not to mention that a small town library in austria wouldn't necessarily have children's books in the english language. :( Nevertheless, I was able to browse some at amazon.com. i even found a children's book that i would like to own. will have to order it sooner or later.

Also, thank you for both links. I will check them out asap.

best,

elena