Labeling a novel that's an urban epic fantasy cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzMac

Not Today
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a novel right now and am having a hard time categorizing it for future query purposes. Its a fantasy that starts off in the modern world but then crosses into an entirely fictional place. The novel will not stay there though. There's going to be a continuous back and forth and the two may come to a head one day. Would I categorize this as an urban or epic fantasy? Is it neither, just plain ole fantasy? Turns out agents want to know exactly what type of fantasy their dealing with.

Last edited:

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Modern Fantasy would be my advice.

BUT! This is a marketing issue for your agent/editor to wrangle with. Write the best thing you can, and let them worry about how to package it.

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
If you have werewolves, vampires, fairies, etc., it would be urban, but if it's like Harry Potter, where the characters are transported to a world not accessible to all, then I would simply call it "fantasy" and leave off any sub-genre label. Keep it simple.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Depending on how the finished product comes out, it could be urban/contemporary fantasy.

Have you read Richelle Mead's STORM BORN? It had a similar setup, with the heroine living and working in the modern, magical world, and then finding out she's Fey royalty. In the book, she passes between Earth and the Fey realm, which is elsewhere. The sequel is set more heavily in the elsewhere.

bzMac

Not Today
Registered
Reaction score
How does the transfer between worlds occur? Are there any fantasy elements in the modern world or do they only occur in the fictional place?

I guess you could say they go through a portal. As of now, the fantasy elements all happen in the fictional place. There is only one fantasy element in the modern world and it is not yet central to the story.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Call it "magical realism" just to screw with them. With any luck, it might stick and you might get a Nobel Prize. It worked for Salman Rushdie. :)

Yeah, but wasn't he already famous? Still, put in a little controversy, too. Having your book banned gives you a better chance to win. ;)

bzMac

Not Today
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but wasn't he already famous? Still, put in a little controversy, too. Having your book banned gives you a better chance to win. ;)

Lol! There's no publicity like bad publicity. I think I'll stick to plain ole fantasy and they can decide if its to urban or too epic for them.

darkangel77

Head in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Was wondering this myself, my current WIP has a similar premise =]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.