How soon can you get an agent upon receiving a publishing contract?

Spidercat

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this,so feel free to move it to a more appropriate area if need be. Nevertheless...

A little while ago, I attended a writer's conference and met a very sociable children's author. We got to talking and I got her permission to send her some sample chapters from my middle-grade book. Apparently she enjoyed what I showed her so much that she offered to showcase it to some editors that she knows. I eagerly agreed.

My question is this -- if all goes well and one of those editors approaches me with a possible publishing deal, how soon must I get an agent? I had originally intended to submit query letters to agents asking if they'd be interested in representing me, but when this author offered to show my chapters to an actual editor, I decided to wait and see what developed before going the agent route directly. While I'm incredibly grateful that I received such an encouraging response and offer, I'm also concerned with the business end of things since I don't want to be caught unprepared if and when a publishing opportunity arises.

Any thoughts?

Titus Raylake

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Spidercat said:
My question is this -- if all goes well and one of those editors approaches me with a possible publishing deal, how soon must I get an agent? I had originally intended to submit query letters to agents asking if they'd be interested in representing me, but when this author offered to show my chapters to an actual editor, I decided to wait and see what developed before going the agent route directly. While I'm incredibly grateful that I received such an encouraging response and offer, I'm also concerned with the business end of things since I don't want to be caught unprepared if and when a publishing opportunity arises.

The best thing is probably to wait until you get the contract (if you haven't received it yet), then e-mail a top agent with the subject I received a publishing contract. In the body of the e-mail, tell the agent about your book, but be brief! End the e-mail with your name, ask that the agent call you and then list your phone number. If the agent calls, make sure to ask if he/she will work at a reduced rate since you got the deal on your own. A few questions that the agent will ask you are, "What is the name of the publisher?", "Who is your editor, and how can I contact him/her?", and "How large is the advance?"

Last edited:

Spidercat

Registered
Reaction score
Titus Raylake said:
The best thing is probably to wait until you get the contract (if you haven't received it yet), then e-mail a top agent with the subject I received a publishing contract. In the body of the e-mail, tell the agent about your book, but be brief! End the e-mail with your name, ask that the agent call you and then list your phone number. If the agent calls, make sure to ask if he/she will work at a reduced rate since you got the deal on your own. A few questions that the agent will ask you are, "What is the name of the publisher?", "Who is your editor, and how can I contact him/her?", and "How large is the advance?"

Thanks! A further question -- it makes sense that the agent would work for a reduced rate (a point I didn't consider before) but what would be a fair rate? I'm thinking something from 10% to 12% since my understanding is that professional agents normally receive 15% of the advance and author royalities. Also, if anyone knows, how much time can politely elapse between the time an author receives a contract from an editor and the time the author and his new agent can begin negotiating the contract? I'm a bit unfamiliar with the etiquette here.

Thanks again!

Titus Raylake

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Spidercat said:
Thanks! A further question -- it makes sense that the agent would work for a reduced rate (a point I didn't consider before) but what would be a fair rate? I'm thinking something from 10% to 12% since my understanding is that professional agents normally receive 15% of the advance and author royalities.

It depends -- you should find out what the agent's rate is to begin with, since a few of them still work for 10%. It also depends on advance -- if the advance is much less than the agent is used to working with, a reduced rate will be only a few percent less. But you should try to get at least 3% off the original rate.

Spidercat said:
Also, if anyone knows, how much time can politely elapse between the time an author receives a contract from an editor and the time the author and his new agent can begin negotiating the contract? I'm a bit unfamiliar with the etiquette here.

If you expect it to be more than a few months, you should send your editor an e-mail and let her know. 6 months is, in most cases, the absolute most you can wait after receiving the contract.

Last edited:

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with most of what's been said here, but I don't think I'd advise waiting for a contract to find an agent. First the promised contract may never happen. But, more importantly, if you have an agent when the contract is offered, the agent can help get you a better contract and advance.

Recently, an editor asked for my manuscript. I sent it and am still sending queries out to agents, whether or not the agent accepts my novel for publication. If I should land an agent prior to acceptance, I will notify him/her of my submission and let him/her run interference for me.

Titus Raylake

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Valona said:
I agree with most of what's been said here, but I don't think I'd advise waiting for a contract to find an agent. First the promised contract may never happen. But, more importantly, if you have an agent when the contract is offered, the agent can help get you a better contract and advance.
Valona, that would not be the best idea, in my opinion. Most agents prefer a manuscript or proposal that has not been submitted to any editors before. Also, do you have an idea of the agency acceptance rates? It's about 0.5%-2% for a query letter. If you're a new author, you have better chances with most publishers than you do catching the interest of a reputable literary agent.

As for the last sentence, it's not hard to negotiate the advance on your own. When an editor makes an offer, just say, "That sounds a little low. I was thinking more of like..." Then name an amount substantially higher than the offered advance.

I personally think that literary agents are for authors that don't know the ropes or don't want to get their hands wet in complex details about book publishing. If you are business-like and know the ups and downs of publishing, you should only need an agent for contract negotiations, unless you want to be published by one of the super-large publishing houses (and they usually don't pay more than a few thousand dollars in advance for a work of fiction anyway.)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
If a legitimate publisher accepts your book, say "Thank you very much; my agent will get back to you."

Then get on the telephone and start calling the agents you have on your short list of who you'd most like to be represented by. Ask each of them in turn whether they would represent you for just this one deal.

I seriously doubt (if you've done your homework) that you'll get down to the third one on your list before you hear "Sure."

In this case, cold-call phoning is acceptable.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Oooh, Titus, there's lots a good agent can do for you. I wouldn't sign a contract without having one go over it first.

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
Most children's authors will tell you that it is harder to get an agent for children's books these days. It doesn't work the same as adult novelists. Many children's authors have decided it's easier to go on your own. If you can, then by all means do it. But, don't wait for an agent or think that you can't do it yourself. MANY do.

Last edited:

Katiba

Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to try to negotiate a contract on your own, I would definitely recommend reading Richard Curtis' book How to be Your Own Literary Agent. He points out numerous pitfalls in the standard publishing contract that the average author might not be aware of.

That said, I agree with the people who say you should try to get a literary agent, even if just for this one deal. There are tons of agents representing YA these days; I'm not so sure about MGs but I know there are a number of agents who represent 'children's books' which I would assume would include middle grades. You could start there.

Titus Raylake

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Torgo said:
Oooh, Titus, there's lots a good agent can do for you. I wouldn't sign a contract without having one go over it first.

I know. That is why I said in my above post, "If you are business-like and know the ups and downs of publishing, you should only need an agent for contract negotiations..."

Last edited: