PDA

View Full Version : Format problems

Ruth2
06-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Okay, so I got my courage up and queried one of my dream agents. Got message back saying he's on vacation. Cool. Went to check the email I sent and -- oh no!-- the formatting is screwed up big time. *Headdesk*

Should I requery, forget it, beg forgiveness... ? Only the query is messed up; the pages I sent with it are fine. Which is weird because I composed the query in the same program as the five pages... (My computer hates me.)

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

ruth

Ryan_Sullivan
06-20-2010, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't. He'll see it no matter what, so it doesn't really matter. Agents know that computers screw up formatting all the time. They care that you proofread, and put the effort in, not that you're a computer expert. As long as paragraphs are paragraphs and sentences are sentences, you should be fine. No agent will pass up the next big thing over a formatting glitch.

Ruth2
06-21-2010, 02:46 AM
I wouldn't. He'll see it no matter what, so it doesn't really matter. Agents know that computers screw up formatting all the time. They care that you proofread, and put the effort in, not that you're a computer expert. As long as paragraphs are paragraphs and sentences are sentences, you should be fine. No agent will pass up the next big thing over a formatting glitch.

Thanks , Ryan. The sentences are sentences; the paragraphs are crammed together. Meh. Not the best situation by any means but it is what it is.

Ryan_Sullivan
06-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Yeah, as long as they can see you know how to spell and make sentences, you'll be fine. I can't tell you how many formatting problems I've had.

shaldna
06-21-2010, 04:02 PM
my comp does this too.

stormie
06-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Formatting+email=h*ll

Happens to me. As Ryan said, it's the spelling and grammar and content of the query.

You could send it to yourself first the next time, then see if you can fix the formatting.

But I wouldn't worry.

heyjude
06-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Guide to Literary Agents recently had a nice blog post about cleaning up your query (http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog/How+To+Clean+Up+Your+Formatting+In+A+Query.aspx) format.

Ruth2
06-22-2010, 02:52 AM
Thanks, y'all! I guess he wasn't too upset. :) He requested a full today through his assistant. And now I'm a basket case!

DeadlyAccurate
06-22-2010, 03:10 AM
Guide to Literary Agents recently had a nice blog post about cleaning up your query (http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog/How+To+Clean+Up+Your+Formatting+In+A+Query.aspx) format.

He gives good advice there, though I'd have to wonder why in the world anyone would put a date within the email body. The date is already shown in the email reader.

I heartily agree with my former agent (http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2010/06/cmon-think.html) that you shouldn't waste valuable screen real estate with dates, contact information, etc. at the top of the email. Save that for the bottom, after your name.

heyjude
06-22-2010, 03:37 AM
Thanks, y'all! I guess he wasn't too upset. :) He requested a full today through his assistant. And now I'm a basket case!

Yay! Congrats and good luck!

He gives good advice there, though I'd have to wonder why in the world anyone would put a date within the email body. The date is already shown in the email reader.

I heartily agree with my former agent (http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2010/06/cmon-think.html) that you shouldn't waste valuable screen real estate with dates, contact information, etc. at the top of the email. Save that for the bottom, after your name.

Great point and ITA. Get to it as fast as possible.

Ruth2
06-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks, heyjude!

Miss Plum
06-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Ha ha ha! Anyway, you don't always know how the format will turn out on the recipient's computer/email client/whatever. Could be trash on yours, fine on his or vice-versa. You can prevent it from happening in the future by changing your outgoing mail format to Plain Text (in Windows) or its Mac equivalent.

Ruth2
06-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Ha ha ha! Anyway, you don't always know how the format will turn out on the recipient's computer/email client/whatever. Could be trash on yours, fine on his or vice-versa. You can prevent it from happening in the future by changing your outgoing mail format to Plain Text (in Windows) or its Mac equivalent.

Oooh thanks, Miss Plum!!! I'll do that!!

sissybaby
06-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Well, Miss Ruth2, sorry about the formatting mess, but who cares now?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Now, breathe, again, one more time. I know what you're going through right now, so just enjoy the ride and get used to that jittery stomach. If he reads the entire ms. it may be a while before you hear back - which is good. But you have to live through the waiting.

You are taking deep breaths, right?

How exciting!!!!!

Ruth2
06-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Well, Miss Ruth2, sorry about the formatting mess, but who cares now?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Now, breathe, again, one more time. I know what you're going through right now, so just enjoy the ride and get used to that jittery stomach. If he reads the entire ms. it may be a while before you hear back - which is good. But you have to live through the waiting.

You are taking deep breaths, right?

How exciting!!!!!

Hey sissybaby! Thanks for the congratulations!

I'm a lot calmer now. Still excited but calmer. I'm trying not to think about it, as in: "That really didn't happen; he won't like it; be prepared to be let down..." LOL! I'm sure no one else has thought that, right?