PDA

View Full Version : STIs and oral sex

Georgina
06-20-2010, 01:47 PM
I'd like to give an STI to one of my characters.

The character is a teenage girl, and gets an STI from a guy she has oral sex with (both ways). I'm hoping to find an STI with the following characteristics:

Can be passed from a guy to a girl during oral sex.
No super-obvious symptoms on the guy (i.e. nothing she can tell. I'm fine if he knows he has it but is being a selfish jerk.)
Symptoms develop in the girl within a couple of weeks.
Curable.

I've done some googling, but I'm not finding a lot of good info on STIs and oral sex. From what I have found, chlamydia is not passable to women through oral sex and gonorrhea is asymptomatic in most women. HIV, hepatitis and herpes seem more severe than what I'm looking for.

Is there any way I can make this work? If not, any thoughts on what I'd need to change? For plot purposes, she has to realise she has the STI pretty quickly, and I'd prefer the characters not to have penetrative sex if at all possible.

Cheers!

PeterL
06-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Gonorrhea would be the best choice. While it is usually asymptomatic in women, that isn't always the case. I have on idea whether there would be oral sympptoms, but that might be the case.

OneWriter
06-20-2010, 06:08 PM
HPV can be transmitted through oral sex in which case the patient develops warts on the gums. Most infections are curable. If they are having intercourse as well though, she's more likely to develop symptoms in the cervix, although if they use condoms the chance of infection is much lower, so it would be plausible that she gets it from oral sex but not through intercourse.

Soccer Mom
06-20-2010, 06:38 PM
I was thinking HPV as well. If he's having a flare-up then she could easily get it through oral sex. It's more common than kids realize.

Captcha
06-20-2010, 10:55 PM
You can get gonorrhea of the throat from unprotected oral sex. Feels like a regular sore throat. (I saw this years ago on some episode of a medical TV show, but I just googled it and got confirmation).

Medievalist
06-20-2010, 11:06 PM
HPV is very much on the rise.

jsh7777
06-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Yep - Herpes.

Many people don't know that cold sores are Herpes. I believe there are various strains - Herpes A and B, but not sure. As I understand it, about 40% of the population has one form or another of herpes. I also understand it's not curable.

Georgina
06-21-2010, 03:39 AM
Excellent! Both HPV and gonorrhea sound as though they could work, under the circumstances.

Thank you all. :)

GeorgeK
06-21-2010, 01:34 PM
HPV can be transmitted through oral sex in which case the patient develops warts on the gums. Most infections are curable. If they are having intercourse as well though, she's more likely to develop symptoms in the cervix, although if they use condoms the chance of infection is much lower, so it would be plausible that she gets it from oral sex but not through intercourse.

Actually, No. HPV is not curable. You can ablate the active lesions, but you will always carry the virus. None of the viral STD's are curable. HPV is particularly insidious since it can be dormant for more than 20 years. It often diffused patients' complaints when one partner would accuse the other and I'd say, "Make a list of everyone that you have ever had sex with. It could have been any of them."

Gonorhea
Chancroid
Chlamydia (that one tends to be rather asymptomatic in men)

Georgina
06-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks for popping in, GeorgeK. I appreciate the clarification. :)

Cheers.

Cassiopeia
06-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Chlamydia (that one tends to be rather asymptomatic in men)This one.

mccardey
06-22-2010, 11:40 AM
I'd like to give an STI to one of my characters.

there's so much wrong with that statement... ;) You couldn't just give her some flowers?

PatriciaB
07-07-2010, 08:54 AM
What about a good old fashioned Yeast infection...you can spread it via oral contact. and she'd know fairl quickly. Is curable...

She'd wonder why she got thrush....and contrary to popular belief, men can get a yeast infection of the penis (I have it from a doctor I know quite well)

artemis31386
07-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Gonorrhea (antibiotics can treat), Herpes (patients are asymptomatic unless they have breakouts, however is not curable, merely treatable), syphilis is another one (treated with penicillin), HPV (also treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics)

CACTUSWENDY
07-08-2010, 05:55 AM
Shoot....after reading all of these, I'm glad I wear a chastity belt. (Now...to hide the key.)

kaitiepaige17
07-08-2010, 05:58 AM
I'm so glad I don't have to worry about this stuff...

GeorgeK
07-09-2010, 05:47 AM
HPV (also treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics)

Categorically, no, or if so, then get another opinion from a licensed physician.

If there is a secondary infection by bacteria infecting wounds caused by a virus, then a MD/DO might Rx Antibiotics for the secondary infection, (e.g. impetigo following chicken pox) but tht is in no way treating the virus. If you want to attempt to treat a virus you need good health, rest and sometimes antivirals. However, the antivirals for STD's are not for a cure. They are for remission.

Georgina
07-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for all the further answers, I appreciate them.

George K, if I could lean on your medical background a moment, what would the follow-up procedure be with something like gonorhea or chalmydia? Would the patient return for a re-test in a couple of weeks, or is it assumed they're cured after a full course of antibiotics has been taken?

Cheers.

GeorgeK
07-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Thanks for all the further answers, I appreciate them.

George K, if I could lean on your medical background a moment, what would the follow-up procedure be with something like gonorhea or chalmydia? Would the patient return for a re-test in a couple of weeks, or is it assumed they're cured after a full course of antibiotics has been taken?

Cheers.

Follow-up is recommended, but depending upon the patient population, a lot of them might not show up. Statistically only 1/3 or so of patients actually complete their antibiotics as ordered. Also follow up is important to make sure that an emergent strain that is resistant to the standard therapy hasn't emerged. A lot of patients just decide that if they have no symptoms then they must be better. It's also standard to counsel the patient that they and their partners need to be treated at the same time, otherwise they keep passing the STD back and forth. (that's for the bacterial STD's. For the viruses, since they are incurable, it's less of an issue for simultaneous treatment and more reasonable for the patient to call in as needed) For Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, typically men can get urinalysis and urine cultures. Sometimes women can use urinalysis and urine cultures, but since the vagina is one big mucosal surface, typically they will need a pelvic exam and wet prep and culture of vaginal fluid.

Georgina
07-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Thank you very much, George K. So helpful!

BillTrain
07-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Gonorrhea all the way. Oral gono would give your MC a sore throat, that they could swab and then let her know a few days later that it grew gonorrhea. Treatment is usually a single shot or a single dose of oral antibiotic. HPV and HSV are different entities. HSV is herpes, not curable. HPV is the virus that gives you warts, and cervical cancer, also not curable, and it doesn't consistently lead to disease (a person can be infected but not get warts or cancer)...and HPV doesn't 'flare'. Yeast is not clearly an STI, and chancroid would likely give your guy a pretty obvious penile lesion. Good old-fashioned gonorrhea is the way to go.
Cheers, BT

not_HarryS
07-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Ooh, ooh! Go for syphilis! Your character wouldn't have anything in her mouth but a small canker sore -- wouldn't think twice about it until about 6 weeks later when she starts getting splotchy things on the bottom of her feet. Very curable, as long as she catches before 6-8 months.

mccardey
07-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Gonorrhea all the way.

followed by

Ooh, ooh! Go for syphilis!

There is so much wrong with this place... ;)

not_HarryS
07-18-2010, 11:04 AM
What? :D

mccardey
07-18-2010, 11:07 AM
What?

Well... in the real world people don't tend to advocate for STIs. They just avoid them.

But that's the real world..... ;)

not_HarryS
07-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Well... in the real world people don't tend to advocate for STIs. They just avoid them.

But that's the real world.....

Pft. Prudes. The occassional foam-crotch builds character.

mccardey
07-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Pft. Prudes. The occassional foam-crotch builds character.

Next you'll be advocating tinea.....

cooeedownunder
07-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Genital warts I believe some can carry the virus and the warts not be visible at least for a period of time.

Celia Cyanide
07-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Genital warts I believe some can carry the virus and the warts not be visible at least for a period of time.

Not curable, though. OP was looking for a curable one.

I would agree with those who sugest Ghonorrea. You might want to talk to Planned Parenthood for details to make sure you do it right.

Phil_Hall
04-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Chlamydia

JayMan
04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
She'd wonder why she got thrush....and contrary to popular belief, men can get a yeast infection of the penis (I have it from a doctor I know quite well)
Well, clearly you know the doctor quite well if you have something like that ;)

(Sorry, I had to)

whacko
04-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Given the health risks, I think it's time to invest in a gardening glove.:D