PDA

View Full Version : Best TV on the Web???

dgiharris
06-20-2010, 02:57 AM
So, the other day I was moping because I was jonesin for some sci-fi and i've seen all the good shows...

Then I was thinking about the show Primeval and was trying to find it on the web, but unfortunately, I ran across alot of bogus sites that promised to deliver if you signed up, so I sign up and of course they didn't really deliver. So, I canceled my memberships...

THen I was thinking about Sliders and decided to see if I could find it on the web.

Sure enough it was available on Hulu and i've been in heaven all day today watching season one.

WHat I love about Hulu TV is that there is no sign up or software installation you just go on the site and it is there. Plus it feels safe vs. a lot of those other websites you have no idea how much spyware is trying to sneak through your firewall.

So, I thought i'd ask you guys, where is your favorite place to watch TV on the web? What site is the best, safest, and has the most content: past and present TV Shows and movies?

mulcahy67
06-20-2010, 02:58 AM
if it's not on hulu, i just look it up on sidereel.com and use their availale links.

i have netflix as well, and most of what i want to watch is on instant watch, so there's that too.

gabbleandhiss
06-20-2010, 03:30 AM
quicksilverscreen

childeroland
06-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Hulu, Funimation, Crunchyroll. Veoh can be good too, but its picture quality varies greatly. Netflix is good.

MsGneiss
06-20-2010, 07:58 PM
I love Hulu, but their advertising is a bit annoying in that it seems completely random and not targeted to the show at all. I appreciate what they are trying to do now with the "is this ad relevant to you" feature, and I hope it works, because I'm pretty annoyed by all the "you too can live with genital herpes" commercials that come up when my 5-year-old watches Astroboy episodes.

dgiharris
06-20-2010, 08:56 PM
I love Hulu, but their advertising is a bit annoying in that it seems completely random and not targeted to the show at all. I appreciate what they are trying to do now with the "is this ad relevant to you" feature, and I hope it works, because I'm pretty annoyed by all the "you too can live with genital herpes" commercials that come up when my 5-year-old watches Astroboy episodes.

Well, kids are pretty advanced now ya know :)

Anyways, i've become a Hulu whore, i've been watching it more than normal TV as of late

Mel...

benbradley
06-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I watch very little TV nowadays, even on the Web. I've watched a few Nova episodes on Hulu. Most fascinating was the one where both the US and Soviets had secret space programs in the 1960's to put MANNED spy satellites into orbit. The US program was cancelled before the first launch, but the Soviets had at least one crew in space.

Also there's some episodes of Nova and Frontline online on the PBS site and/or Youtube.

What's nice about the Web is not having sit and watch a TV show on a particular day at a particular time, and not having to have and program a VCR or DVR, either. :)

MsGneiss
06-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Also, I don't have a proper TV. Not much time for TV, but there are some shows I like to tune in to, so Hulu has been pretty spectacular in that regard.

Gamien
06-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Definitely Hulu, otherwise I'll try and find it on a network's site.

~

RoseColoredSkies
06-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Ninavideo is good too, though you need to use with Firefox. Sidereel and SurftheChannel are decent as well.

Captcha
06-22-2010, 03:34 AM
Damned Americans! Got me all excited, and then when I went to check - Hulu only works in the US. Grrrr.

benbradley
06-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Someone at CNN must be reading this thread, here's an article on it:
How to get TV through the internet
It's more about how people are unplugging from cable and watching TV through the Internet, and how that's going to affect TV, the networks, etc:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/06/21/net.cable.companies/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Medievalist
06-22-2010, 07:22 AM
So, I thought i'd ask you guys, where is your favorite place to watch TV on the web? What site is the best, safest, and has the most content: past and present TV Shows and movies?

I don't own a TV, but I love watching Hulu. I have a cheap membership to NetFlix and I love it. I get a couple of DVDs a week, and watch a lot of streaming TV and documentaries and movies. It's ten bucks a month, and it's absolutely worth it. I put stuff up while I work, and use them for research, and content (I've been blogging about watching Star Trek TNG (http://sofamonkeys.blogspot.com/), for the first time in years -- ten or more).

I bought my NetFlix subscription after trying it for a month because of an AW ad.

I also watch CBS.com/TV.com (same thing) but mostly because of Original Series Star Trek; I'm glad they have it, and it's been remastered nicely but damn it's hard to navigate.

I'm a cynic, and was surprised by how much there is streaming on Hulu and Netflix, and how much I like choosing what to watch, and when. And it's been odd seeing stuff I missed when it was new, and heard about.

I really really like it on my iPad which makes it so much easier for me to see.

Smileycat
06-22-2010, 08:52 AM
So, the other day I was moping because I was jonesin for some sci-fi and i've seen all the good shows...

Then I was thinking about the show Primeval and was trying to find it on the web, but unfortunately, I ran across alot of bogus sites that promised to deliver if you signed up, so I sign up and of course they didn't really deliver. So, I canceled my memberships...

THen I was thinking about Sliders and decided to see if I could find it on the web.

Sure enough it was available on Hulu and i've been in heaven all day today watching season one.

WHat I love about Hulu TV is that there is no sign up or software installation you just go on the site and it is there. Plus it feels safe vs. a lot of those other websites you have no idea how much spyware is trying to sneak through your firewall.

You can watch a lot of various shows on Hulu, Fancast; and see old free movies on http://www.freemooviesonline.com/ and others. I enjoy something almost every day.

In addition, you can see sci-fi (oops, I mean SyFy movies and some of their original shows) on the SyFy channel, as well as watch most network and cable channels (their own shows) anywhere from a day to a week after air dates.

Have fun, dgi.

benbradley
06-22-2010, 09:44 AM
You can watch a lot of various shows on Hulu, Fancast; and see old free movies on http://www.freemooviesonline.com/ and others. I enjoy something almost every day.

In addition, you can see sci-fi (oops, I mean SyFy movies and some of their original shows) on the SyFy channel, as well as watch most network and cable channels (their own shows) anywhere from a day to a week after air dates.

Have fun, dgi.
Of course some special "notable" things such as Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live, you can watch within an HOUR after it was broadcast. I was up late that night, saw an AW thread mentioning it, and clicked...

Smileycat
06-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Of course some special "notable" things such as Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live, you can watch within an HOUR after it was broadcast. I was up late that night, saw an AW thread mentioning it, and clicked...

True, I saw it, too. :)

Shadow_Ferret
06-22-2010, 05:29 PM
I use Netflix. It actually keeps track of which episodes I watched. Hulu doesn't do that and with my horrible memory, I end up wasting several minutes watching an ep until I realize I already saw that one.

MsGneiss
06-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I use Netflix. It actually keeps track of which episodes I watched. Hulu doesn't do that and with my horrible memory, I end up wasting several minutes watching an ep until I realize I already saw that one.

Hulu can do that too, sort of. If you create an account and add stuff to your queue, you can avoid that. Or you can subscribe to shows so that whenever a new episode is posted, it gets automatically added to your queue. I heart Hulu - can you tell?

Shadow_Ferret
06-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Ah. I never really researched it that much. Don't even think I created an account. I just watched a show or two, then found out Netflix did the instant thing, and went over there.

stormie
06-22-2010, 10:00 PM
I vote for hulu.

Zefiris
06-22-2010, 11:05 PM
I just use youtube,

All I ever really watch on the tinterwebs are wrestling and occasionly a comedy show or anime, usually managed to find them a.o.k on youtube :)

Probebly because I'm paranoid of picking up viruses from sites I haven't heard of and I know youtube is safe :)

Tried Hulu but I don't like the search on it, searched for "The Last Train" and it found every show/movie featuring the word "the"... Way to be precise and way to actually search for what I wanted guys!