PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever feel like your the world's worst writer?

android415
06-19-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm having one of those days =/

A girl from my hometown, who is the same age as me, and writes the SAME genre as me recently got published, and critics are hailing her as the "voice" of our generation (no names mentioned, as I am not trying to bash her). Heck, our birthdays are even two days apart.

But it's like "What? Really? Why isn't that me?"

So then, I go on to compare our writing (I realize it's not a healthy habit, but I can't help myself). I read hers, and go "wow, look at all those adjectives! Look at that flow!"

Then I read mine, and I'm like "Ugh...."

*sigh*

edit: That should be "you're".

Red-Green
06-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Look, you can't waste time or energy on comparing your accomplishments to other people's. Ursula K. LeGuin won the Hugo Award in 1969 at the age of 39. I'll be 39 next month. I don't think I'm gonna win the Hugo by then, seeing as how my first novel hasn't even been published.

So don't bother with the "this person has already done this" mentality. If your writing needs work (and I guarantee it does, because whose doesn't?) spend your energy on that. I don't sit around thinking about the fact that I'm not going to meet the same milestones The Brilliant and Talented Ursula™ did. I just keep working on the writing.

Wayne K
06-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Why isn't that me?"

Figure out the answer to this queswtion and do what she did. Simple

If that doesn't work, improvise

EagerReader
06-19-2010, 07:30 PM
If you can't see where you can improve, there isn't much hope of improving. I think successful writing (published or not) comes from being able to see weaknesses and shore them up.

I read things all the time, where I'm thinking, wow, I wish I could do that. But, I can only work with what I have; a fresh premise, a love of my characters and a willingness to revise until my fingers bleed.

But, that said, it is hard not to compare. Just don't let it get in the way of your writing. Have a day of "this stinks" and then move ahead.

Just my thoughts; use or throw away as needed.

Miss Plum
06-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Do you ever feel like your the world's worst writer?

I think we all fall into self-doubt occasionally, and incredulity at what's going on elsewhere. What can I say? Find your voice and stay true to it!

If it helps, I sometimes feel like the world's most clueless writer. :)

android415
06-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Hey, thanks all for the posts.

I'm definitely going to try and improve. I haven't reached the point yet where I've reached my "writing ability limit", because I don't know if that's possible.

But yeah, it's one of those days where I feel a bit discouraged. Thanks again for suggesting ways to move on :)

kaitiepaige17
06-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Think of it this way: Every agent wants something different. You have no idea how many rejections this girl got before finally getting a "yes." There may be an agent out there who doesn't like what she does at all yet will love your stuff. Don't put yourself down, just keep improving and realize that there are people out there who will love your work.

Shadow_Ferret
06-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Do you ever feel like your the world's worst writer?

Every.waking.minute

Zefiris
06-19-2010, 08:22 PM
All the time...

folkchick
06-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Timely topic. I had a bad moment the other day, one of those, "I'm down but I'm gonna keep fighting" type of things. I don't like to air my down times, but expression of self is a human right.

Keep working hard and eventually it will pay off. Don't compare yourself to others, just keep improving what you have. The world is big enough for all of us to succeed, and, once in a while if you feel the need to be down, be down. Then get back up and try again.

Bubastes
06-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Constantly. The tough part is writing despite feeling like I'm wasting my time.

folkchick
06-19-2010, 08:54 PM
I wanted to add that there are people out there who never voice their opinions. IMO, it's very healthy for someone to come here and express themselves on a bad day.

tirial
06-20-2010, 07:12 AM
Do you ever feel like your the world's worst writer? Yes. All the time.

Phaeal
06-20-2010, 04:32 PM
No, I'm not that ambitious. When I'm pissed off, I modestly settle for world's 109th worst writer.

;)

Elle
06-20-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't ever worry I'm the world's worst writer; I just question whether my work is publishable or not.

MsJudy
06-20-2010, 06:16 PM
I know exactly what you mean.

For me, it's not "I'm the world's worst writer." Because then I could feel like, Of course I'm not published. There's a good reason...

It's the being not-quite-good-enough... Mediocre. Maybe I just lack that extra little something of genius, and no matter how hard I work, I'll never be more than an also-ran...

Those are the kinds of thoughts that can really bring you down, aren't they?

EagerReader
06-20-2010, 07:22 PM
I know exactly what you mean.

Those are the kinds of thoughts that can really bring you down, aren't they?

Too true. That's why we...must...fight...them! Never...surrender!

Jamesaritchie
06-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Think of it this way: Every agent wants something different. You have no idea how many rejections this girl got before finally getting a "yes." There may be an agent out there who doesn't like what she does at all yet will love your stuff. Don't put yourself down, just keep improving and realize that there are people out there who will love your work.

Agents don't buy work, or form critic's opinions of that work. The best ganet in the world has exactly zip to do with any of this.

Jamesaritchie
06-20-2010, 07:29 PM
So then, I go on to compare our writing (I realize it's not a healthy habit, but I can't help myself).".

Of course you should compare your writing to that of other writers. How else are you going to imprve?

Wayne K
06-20-2010, 07:38 PM
I agree. For that reason I read great writers.

I've never considered myself a bad writer--even when I was. I thought of myself as a Work in progress.

Phaeal
06-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Agents don't buy work, or form critic's opinions of that work. The best ganet in the world has exactly zip to do with any of this.

LOL, I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out what a "ganet" was.

kaitiepaige17
06-20-2010, 10:25 PM
^ I still don't know what it is

Duchessmary
06-21-2010, 12:55 AM
I totally HATE it when I read a book on the subject I'm trying to get published~Historical romance~and it's simply AWFUL, horrible, not researched well and I wonder...WTF.
:Soapbox:

Jamesaritchie
06-21-2010, 01:15 AM
LOL, I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out what a "ganet" was.

It's a writer who hasn't slept in about thirty-six hours.

stormie
06-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Oh yeah. Every once in awhile I get that feeling, even though I know it's not warranted. Like yesterday--two rejections in the mail. I tossed them in the garbage but this little nagging feeling kept following me around. Today I looked at something I'd written and gagged. Tomorrow I'll probably get something positive. Or I'll feel better about my writing.

It happens. Remember though--your writing is you, not that other person's from your area.

Sassy3421
06-21-2010, 01:38 AM
i believe every writer has the moments where they wonder if they have any talent whatsoever! but you've got to look within yourself and examine how important writing is to you. if it's not, then back away, if it's almost like your next breath of air - DON'T LET ANYTHING STOP YOU! so what?! maybe that girl is talented, had what it took to get published BUT it doesn't mean you don't...

HorsebackWriter
06-21-2010, 02:19 AM
What is your self-doubt *really* saying? Look it in the eye. You want to be published. You want to be published young. You want to be hailed for your writing ability.

All reasonable desires.

Wanting and having are two different things, though. Most of the time, the bridge between wanting and having is built with hard, hard (did I say hard?) work.

Eyes off the fame, money, glory, acclaim (the dreams) and fixed on the prize: the hard work. Build the bridge that will lead to the fulfillment of those dreams.

All you have control over is your writing -- the hard work.

Em

MsJudy
06-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Em, that's so true.

And beware of early fame. I'm in my late 40s. When I was in my 20s, the "Voices of Our Generation" were supposed to be the Literary Brat Pack--Tama Janowitz, Brett Easton Ellis, Jay McInerney. Um...anyone heard anything from them lately? I'd say the Voices of My Generation have turned out to be Jon Stewart and Mr. Obama...

Sometimes it's better to build your skills slowly and grow your career over time.