• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Finding Beta readers at your local university?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam smith

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had ever tried to find beta readers (or proofreaders or other editorial assistance) via the English department at your local college or university?

And if so, how did it work out? Are there any pitfalls to be aware of? How much would you expect to have to pay somebody – say an upper level undergraduate student – per page or per word to go over a manuscript looking for spelling, grammar, punctuation errors, unnecessary adverbs, inappropriate dialog tags, that sort of thing?

Thanks in Advance, a.s.

Deleted member 42

I was wondering if anybody had ever tried to find beta readers (or proofreaders or other editorial assistance) via the English department at your local college or university?.

I would avoid it at all costs.

You're better off with beta readers on AW.

I say this as English Ph.D. and frequent teacher of undergraduate English lit and comp classes.

Don't do it.

There are far better people on AW.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did this for free through my school's proofreading (et al) service. The catch is, it was summer and dead slow, so they didn't mind looking at my non-class related fiction.

Unfortunately, after the first two sessions, I had to pull teeth to get the guy interested, and I couldn't tactfully get someone else who might be interested to have a look.

To be fair, it was an early draft, so I don't blame the guy for losing interest fast. He taught me a few things, all of which were reinforced by AW and other folks around the same time.

So unless this is very common and you find someone very open to it, I suggest not wasting everyone's time.

Lastly, I wouldn't pay a dime. Either there's a free service available and you can try it, or just look for another option (like AW).

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion you're far better off with other writers in the same boat you are -- either trying to get published or previously publsihed. They will be able to give feedback relevant to the current market.

English majors and professors are not always attuned to these things. Their interests and specialties can vary significantly, and even if they are among the age group you're seeking, they tend not to represent the majority of the reading public.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Why not just take a workshop class and workshop the novel? You can also do it at a community college for much less money. Check your library too as there are sometimes free writers groups (check your Craigslist there too, and also Meetup.com -- writing groups and writers looking for people to read/ exchange reading).

Status
Not open for further replies.