PDA

View Full Version : Resubmitting Question

Elaine Margarett
06-18-2010, 11:05 PM
An agent suggested changes to my ms and invited me to resubmit three years ago. I have been battling a chronic case of writerís block since 2004 when I began a job as a military casualty photographer. In an effort to break my block and regain some momentum I had submitted a handful of queries of which this agent requested a fifty page partial. She sent it back edited, suggested changes and invited me to resubmit.

Slowly (excruciatingly) I implemented most if not nearly all of her suggestions to the betterment of my story.

Should I resubmit now or write it off? How would I explain that it took me three years to get back to her? I really think sheíd remember it so I canít submit without referencing our previous communications.

Iím better now. For one thing I no longer work for the DoD. Itís been two years so I really donít think about it that often. Several times a week instead of several times a day. And Iím on medication, which helps. But that sounds like way too much info to divulge in a professional relationship and I donít want to come off sounding like a liability.

Should I forget about her? She would be a dream agent and as a former editor Iíd really benefit from a relationship with her. Part of me says what do I have to lose? Another part answers ďmy dignity." (Laugh, but some days itís all I have~)

Thanks!

Ryan_Sullivan
06-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Definitely resubmit. Tell her you had to take some time away from writing to become a M. C. Photog. but that you've completely revised, and wanted to resubmit. It never hurts to try. I'm sure if she doesn't want to read it, she won't. So, go for it, but start with a query again.

Also, have you tried to channel that experience into writing? It seems like it could be cathartic if you wrote through it.

SarahNFisk
06-19-2010, 12:02 AM
You really don't have anything to lose. If it's good enough, the agent will want it.

Elaine Margarett
06-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Definitely resubmit. Tell her you had to take some time away from writing to become a M. C. Photog. but that you've completely revised, and wanted to resubmit. It never hurts to try. I'm sure if she doesn't want to read it, she won't. So, go for it, but start with a query again.

Also, have you tried to channel that experience into writing? It seems like it could be cathartic if you wrote through it.

I like your suggestion! It would be away to reopen that door.

As far as writing about it... I considered the idea and rejected it. I would find it too sad. I want to put that behind me. It wasn't all bad. I made some incredible friendships with people (soliders and marines) I never would have met. It's a pretty deep bonding experience when you're literally shoulder to shoulder, day after day with these people experiencing what you are experiencing. I DO try to focus on that positive aspect, but to spend more time on this experience would only serve to keep it closer to my heart and mind than I want.

Ryan_Sullivan
06-19-2010, 12:08 AM
I like your suggestion! It would be away to reopen that door.

As far as writing about it... I considered it. I would find it too sad. I want to put that behind me. It wasn't all bad. I made some incredible friendships with people (soliders and marines) I never would have met. It's a pretty deep bonding experience when you're literally shoulder to shoulder, day after day with these people experiencing what you are experiencing. I DO try to focus on that positive aspect, but to spend more time on this experience would only serve to keep it closer to my heart and mind than I want.

Understandable. If a time comes and you're ready, that would make for compelling work. Good luck with everything!

Elaine Margarett
06-19-2010, 02:30 AM
As far as writing about it... I considered the idea and rejected it. .

This isn't entirely true. I'm setting one of my mysteries at the JPED. It's an interesting place. Not to mention the times CID came in as part of an investigation or we had the occasional Congressional investigation. I'd get one of those "Hmmmm" moments and knew I could use it later.

Although 99.9 percent of our armed forces are heroes, the military is huge and the .1 percenters can be real bad apples.

EagerReader
06-19-2010, 02:52 AM
Although 99.9 percent of our armed forces are heroes, the military is huge and the .1 percenters can be real bad apples.

Bad apples stink anywhere. I hope you do requery. You don't need to go into full detail to address the long delay. Life happens, I'd like to think most of us understand that, agents included.

Best of luck to you.