PDA

View Full Version : What should I say?

Project nachonaco
06-18-2010, 10:42 PM
I want to write an email to the surgeon who gave me my shunt (also, the place where I was born).

Just to let him know how I'm doing, and just to thank him.

I dunno, is this weird? I mean, he did save my life.....

DeleyanLee
06-18-2010, 10:45 PM
I work for docs.

They love it when patients touch base with how they're doing when it was a touch-and-go case, especially with good news.

If you have the email, I'd say go for it.

spamwarrior
06-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Not weird at all. Do it :)

Project nachonaco
06-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Here's what I was thinking about saying:

Dear Dr. Tulipan,
On August 30th, 1989, you gave my family and I hope. At four months' gestation, I was diagnosed with hydrocephalus. At the time, my parents were unsure of my future. So, they were referred to Vanderbilt University Medical Center, where both you and Dr. Boehm delivered me and gave me my shunt. Thanks to you, I have a new lease on life. Would you believe that my shunt lasted for almost fifteen years before it needed replaced? I just had to thank you for all the wonderful work you did.

Thanks,
Sydney <my last name>

P.S. I put the Commodores in my Final Four picks every year.

Is that too informal?

spamwarrior
06-18-2010, 10:50 PM
"You probably won't remember me" I guess might be standard... I see it in a lot of examples of letters from patients to doctors.

Sophia
06-18-2010, 11:33 PM
What a lovely thing to do.

I think the message is just right as it is. The only thing I might change is the "Thanks," at the end, as it seems too informal, but it does fit with your voice and the personal nature of the note, so go with what you feel most comfortable with.

Project nachonaco
06-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Should I attach a picture of myself?

Silver King
06-20-2010, 03:48 AM
Should I attach a picture of myself?
I wouldn't. I'd be too afraid that, after viewing the image, it might make him regret saving your life.

Project nachonaco
06-20-2010, 03:48 AM
I wouldn't. I'd be too afraid that, after viewing the image, it might make him regret saving your life.

OK, now THAT was funny. :)

Silver King
06-20-2010, 03:55 AM
OK, now THAT was funny. :)
It made me laugh, too.

Seriously, though, I'd send the note without a photo. Later, if you strike up a correspondence with the doctor, including a picture might be a nice touch.