Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteSuzyWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Crafty, I thought and thought about what I'd like my book's title to be . . . and it turned out that my preferences didn't matter a bit -- my Acquisitions Editor said that they will choose the "best title," and though I'll have input, my vote does not carry the decision : ( The publisher knows more about "what sells" than an over-invested author, I've been told. The publisher gave me a contract, I'll have my book published -- which is my dream, so I will not quibble over titles : )

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I agree and I've read in quite a few places that the publisher will change the title anyway. But when I send out my queries, I need a catchy title that will convince the agent that this book is worth the trouble.

In my computer files, I have it listed as Raped by the Army: Not an Army of One! I should probably just label my file "Book" and leave it alone. Then when I'm finally finished and really ready to query, think of a snappy title. ;)

Candy

StrandedX02

Registered
Reaction score
Of the ones you have, I'd probably go with Military Secrets: Memoir of a Rape Survivor (though I'm not crazy about including the word memoir in the title itself.) I think as an editor/publisher, I'd look at the other titles and say, "a reader will not be able to connect the book title and content." Even Raped by the Army seems more like an attempt at metaphor to me...

Like you, though, I'd imagine that having a strong query letter as a whole is much more important to an agent than the working title of the manuscript, which will probably be changed anyway.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really like any of them, sorry. I'd go with something with a little more wordplay-ish with bite, like Don't Ask, Never Tell.

But, yeah, the publisher will change it anyway if they deem it necessary.

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting title aadams. I thought about something like that as well, but the "don't ask, don't tell" comes from being gay. When I was in it was common for men who had gotten into trouble with the law to be told by the judge to either join the military or go to jail. O keep trying to find something along those lines as well.

Candy

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Candy,

Sorry, I can't choose. I really don't like any of the titles. I'm sure you can come up with something better. Sure you want a decent, descriptive working title, but don't sweat it all that much since as already said the publisher will wind up selecting the title they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.