How Strange is This?

greyhame

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for a couple of years, but haven't posted before.

So, here's my situation. I have written a novel that touches the genres of literary, mystery, thriller, fantasy and science fiction. I shopped it around as was picked up by a well-respected (both here and elsewhere) literary agency that only handles literary fiction. I worked with an agent doing revisions for two years. During that time the agent never showed the manuscript to any editors, though the agent did, informally, verbally pitch it to some editors at lunches, dinners, etc. (And the agent told me that the pitch had been well-received).

During the first 1.5 years, the revisions were along the lines of polishing things up: "please expand this", or "let's trim this back a bit", or "let's tone this down some," etc. Then, in the last 6 months, the newest requested revision had me fundamentally changing the nature of the book. When I asked for clarification on the sudden shift, I didn't get a satisfactory answer, though I asked several times. So, I took all the suggested revisions minus those that would have fundamentally changed the novel and implemented those. When I sent the manuscript back to the agent, the agent decided to drop the project (after, now, two years of revisions) -- still without ever having showed the manuscript to any editors.

This situation seems very odd to me. In case it isn't so strange, I have not named the agent or the agency, obviously. What are your experiences? Does this sort of thing happen from time to time?

For now, I'm back to the drawing board, looking for a new agent... :-(

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Greyhame, and sympathies for your situation. Since yours isn't a question about a specific agency, I've moved your post from BR&BC.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
that does seems a very long time for an agent to have a ms and not pitch it. if they haven't been able to sell it, or haven't even tried to sell it in all that time then they probably won't.

I would talk this through with your agent, get a realistic idea of where your ms future is going with this agent, and be honest about your hope and expectations. and if your not working towards the same thing or share the same vision then it may be time to call it a day.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
In my limited experience with an agent, and knowing other writers who have agents, this does seem strange. Usually, the agent works with the writer on revisions until the agent feels it's ready for submission, and that time-frame can vary (depending on the amount of revisions and how fast the writer completes them), but two years? It seems this agent wasn't very motivated to sell your book, which is another strange thing about your case because that's how agents make their money.

The good thing is the agent hasn't submitted it to any publishing houses, so it hasn't been "shopped", and there's a chance you can get another agent to help you. As for mentioning in your queries that the book had once been represented, I'm going to leave that up to others to chime in with advice, as I'm not sure what you should do.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm so sorry. There are a few things to consider here. The first is at which state do you feel your book is/was the strongest? Two years of revisions seems like a lot of revising, although I don't know how quickly you work or how quickly s/he got back to you between versions. If, at it's strongest place, you think the book is good and saleable, the agent has actually done you a favor, sadly, by not shopping it. You can still try to interest another agent in selling it. As Cate said, had it been shopped, even minimally, it's likely no one else would touch it, unless you had another, subsequent success. Then, someone might be more likely to re-visit.

I would use the good old, "I am seeking representation, having recently parted amicably with my agent" line in your query. It does generate interest, and you *usually* don't have to go into details until you're discussing representation. At that point, any agent having that discussion with you should already love the book.

Two years. :( Yes, I think this sometimes happens. But I certainly think you got a raw deal, too. Someone remind me to send my agent a nice fruit basket or something.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Did you have a contract? It sounds like you're better off being free. It should be a little bit easier now that you can say you've been agented. This definitely seems odd--not just the dropping, but how long it took as well. I would contact that agent and ask for an explanation of why they dropped you, so you know what you're working with.

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
It does sound strange, but maybe it was just a case of two very different visions for the manuscript? The way you describe it ( touching on "literary, mystery, thriller, fantasy and science fiction") sounds like it needs to be cleaned up. There is no "literary, mystery, thriller, fantasy and science fiction" shelf in the bookstore, so my guess is that Agent wanted to make it into a more salable manuscript by perhaps emphasizing just one or two of these descriptions.

If you still believe in the book, continue to shop it. But do remember that agents want books they can make money on, and this one put in an extraordinary amount of time on your ms so I would at least seriously consider what she has to say.

That being said, I know the situation must be very frustrating. Sorry you had to go through that.