sailing in winter?

codytull

Registered
Reaction score
The weather is in the high 50s, it had snowed, but it has all melted and everyone is enjoying a rare warm day in Oregon. Is it possible to go sailing on a small four-person sailboat in these conditions?

Thanks in advance!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes but brr, dress in warm layers and don't wear any cotton!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
As long as there's no ice it's possible to sail. Why would there be a problem?

Other than the fact that it wouldn't be much fun!

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
He said sailboat Stephanie.

Click on the link. It says, under each of these photos, "Boat." (Not ship. Boat.) When there's open water, these ice boats can sail on the water, too. LOL!

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Click on the link. It says, under each of these photos, "Boat." (Not ship. Boat.) When there's open water, these ice boats can sail on the water, too. LOL!
That is indeed a boat. DN iceboats can go up to 80 mph. I know several hardcore DN ice boaters here in Michigan.

(ETA: When there is open water, an iceboat's steel runner blades would probably sink it.)

To answer the OP, you can sail in a regular boat in the winter. But a sailboat is typically hauled out and stored for the winter. Even if it was stored on your property, you'd still take a lot of important things off of it which wouldn't be put back on until springtime fitting out. It would say something about your characters that they have this boat ready to hop on and sail in the dead of winter: either they never bothered to store it properly in the fall, or they're rather wealthy and have, say, a heated outbuilding they just leave the boat in with all its gear intact.

Why yes, I do work in the marine industry.

Last edited:

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
l_9522dd04b412424aa6b4aa7e195ab92a.jpg

That's me and the bf on my ex-stepdad's sailboat in December. We went out a lot even in the cold. I live in Washington, btw, which is slightly colder than Oregon. :)