PDA

View Full Version : Misread Marvels

TheIT
09-01-2005, 12:26 AM
Ever glance at a sign and read something completely different than the actual words? I was walking through a bookstore last night, glanced at one of the displays, and misread the poster book advertising "Life-Size Dinosaurs!" as "bite-sized dinosaurs." Now, bite-sized dinosaurs sounded extremely interesting to me. Might even be a writing prompt in there for someone. Has anyone else run across any misread marvels like this they'd be willing to share?

poetinahat
09-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Was walking past a shop full of those ugly tourist sweaters (ever been to Sydney? You know the ones I'm talking about). One of them had a sign on it. Just seemed silly.

WHAT I THOUGHT IT SAID at first glance:
Was 100.00 -- Now 99.95

This is too funny to be true, thought I. It was.

WHAT IT ACTUALLY SAID:
Wool 100% -- Now 99.95

ANNIE
09-09-2005, 04:55 PM
There's a sign on I-80 in Pa for SCOTT RUN . Everytime I see I think it says
Scrotum

Carole
09-09-2005, 06:14 PM
This one is a *mis-heard* rather than *mis-read*

Hubby's mom was asking one year what he wanted for Christmas. I told her that he had been asking for a 4-slice toaster. Later on in the week, she called him and all I was getting was his end of the conversation. He kept saying , "Mom, I don't know what you're talking about. A floor-size poster? " Then he looked at me, "Sweetie...mom says she doesn't know where to go to look for a floor size poster" It took me a minute...:D

poetinahat
09-09-2005, 08:54 PM
It was my brother. Off to his first year of college - an achitecture school. Dorm beds are longer than normal. Art students like black, right?

Mom orders appropriate sheets for him -- to be delivered, as it's away from home.

Couple of days later, call from a bewildered son: "Mom, thanks, but what are these? They're made for gorillas."

Now bewildered Mom says, "But they said the beds were extra long."

Son: "What beds?"

Turns out the shop had erred and sent him two extra-long fitted shirts. We still chuckle about it today.

threedogpeople
09-11-2005, 08:30 AM
I went through almost an entire of semester of calculus before I figured out that my instructor was saying "least common denominator" not "east comet denominator".

poetinahat
09-12-2005, 08:37 AM
There's a sign on I-80 in Pa for SCOTT RUN . Everytime I see I think it says
Scrotum

That reminds me of a sign along I-75 (?) going south, somewhere around Cincinnati/northern Kentucky... for a place called Big Bone Lick State Park.

Correspondingly, I remember a road sign on Cape Cod (near Dennis?) for a place called the Ram in the Thicket Restaurant.

Ahem.

threedogpeople
09-17-2005, 04:42 PM
In Colma, CA* there is a sign advertising long term storage next to a sign at the entrance of one of the local cemetaries.

*known as the City of the dead because there are more graves in Colma than live people

poetinahat
10-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Funny -- I just scrolled quickly up to the top of the Water Cooler main page, and for a fleeting moment, I thought the greeting at the top read...

Welcome, Abstruse Writers!