Misread Marvels

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Ever glance at a sign and read something completely different than the actual words? I was walking through a bookstore last night, glanced at one of the displays, and misread the poster book advertising "Life-Size Dinosaurs!" as "bite-sized dinosaurs." Now, bite-sized dinosaurs sounded extremely interesting to me. Might even be a writing prompt in there for someone. Has anyone else run across any misread marvels like this they'd be willing to share?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a bargain!

Was walking past a shop full of those ugly tourist sweaters (ever been to Sydney? You know the ones I'm talking about). One of them had a sign on it. Just seemed silly.

WHAT I THOUGHT IT SAID at first glance:
Was 100.00 -- Now 99.95

This is too funny to be true, thought I. It was.

WHAT IT ACTUALLY SAID:
Wool 100% -- Now 99.95

Last edited:

ANNIE

Registered
Reaction score
There's a sign on I-80 in Pa for SCOTT RUN . Everytime I see I think it says
Scrotum

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
This one is a *mis-heard* rather than *mis-read*

Hubby's mom was asking one year what he wanted for Christmas. I told her that he had been asking for a 4-slice toaster. Later on in the week, she called him and all I was getting was his end of the conversation. He kept saying , "Mom, I don't know what you're talking about. A floor-size poster? " Then he looked at me, "Sweetie...mom says she doesn't know where to go to look for a floor size poster" It took me a minute...:D

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was my brother. Off to his first year of college - an achitecture school. Dorm beds are longer than normal. Art students like black, right?

Mom orders appropriate sheets for him -- to be delivered, as it's away from home.

Couple of days later, call from a bewildered son: "Mom, thanks, but what are these? They're made for gorillas."

Now bewildered Mom says, "But they said the beds were extra long."

Son: "What beds?"

Turns out the shop had erred and sent him two extra-long fitted shirts. We still chuckle about it today.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Warning: Puerile Content.

ANNIE said:
There's a sign on I-80 in Pa for SCOTT RUN . Everytime I see I think it says
Scrotum

That reminds me of a sign along I-75 (?) going south, somewhere around Cincinnati/northern Kentucky... for a place called Big Bone Lick State Park.

Correspondingly, I remember a road sign on Cape Cod (near Dennis?) for a place called the Ram in the Thicket Restaurant.

Ahem.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
In Colma, CA* there is a sign advertising long term storage next to a sign at the entrance of one of the local cemetaries.

*known as the City of the dead because there are more graves in Colma than live people

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hidden truths?

Funny -- I just scrolled quickly up to the top of the Water Cooler main page, and for a fleeting moment, I thought the greeting at the top read...

Welcome, Abstruse Writers!